• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do your Cops carry

I went googling to find out what is issued in Stamford, CT. I found a reference and some comments to an article in our idiot-run newspaper to the effect they changed about a year ago from Glock to S&W M&P, but the comments indicated that the article did not say what they are chambered in.

I know Quincy is Sig 40SW not sure what model but then, the Quincy cop I asked what he carried didn't know either lol. I knew it was a Sig from looking at the gun in the holster but he didn't even know what model it was. Asked what there duty load was and shocker he didn't know that either.

I am always amazed at the lack of firearms skills that 90% of police lack. 2 weeks at range and thats all they get. I had a buddy get on the job took him to the range and had to really teach him how to shoot seeing they did a crap job. Now his shot groups you can cover with one hand before that it was like a shotgun.

Its not that they do a crappy job teaching these kids. Its that these kids never practice or stay proficient most will only shot the 1 time a year as mandated by thier agencies. They were taught right, they choose to not stay proficient and practice. Most of the full time academies have very good FI instructors.

I know Medford Cops carry a S&W 410. (Portland Maine, last I checked too)

So what do the other cops in the Northeast carry?

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Medford actually carries S&W 4006 TSW. Not sure if the 410 is the same thing. I don't think it is. Close though.

I know Quincy is Sig 40SW not sure what model but then, the Quincy cop I asked what he carried didn't know either lol. I knew it was a Sig from looking at the gun in the holster but he didn't even know what model it was. Asked what there duty load was and shocker he didn't know that either.

I've only ever met one soldier who knows what his "duty load" is, and that's DickWanner on this forum. I know cops who are hardcore "gun guys" who don't know what their duty load is, simply because it's issued and they don't get a say in what it is.

Its not that they do a crappy job teaching these kids. Its that these kids never practice or stay proficient most will only shot the 1 time a year as mandated by thier agencies. They were taught right, they choose to not stay proficient and practice. Most of the full time academies have very good FI instructors.

+1

Firearms is one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of skills that they're taught at the academy, and expected to maintain proficiency with.

I know cops who are hardcore "gun guys" who don't know what their duty load is, simply because it's issued and they don't get a say in what it is.

Very true. We were always handed a handful of rounds, NOT a box of rounds, so almost none of the officers ever see the label on the box of carry ammo.

Most officers won't practice their skills for two specific reasons (from experience talking with other officers):

- They aren't interested in guns and if they used their gun, they'd have to clean it (no kidding).

- A union mentality. "If they want me to practice, they will pay me OT, provide my ammo, and clean my gun when I'm done!"

I've personally invited 3 or 4 chiefs and numerous officers to join me as my guest at a gun club to practice. I've done this so many times in the past 10 years that I've lost count and NOT ONE officer has taken me up on the offer. Most are officers that I have worked with on the PD and/or friends.

How often, if EVER, have departments thrown fresh mags to one another in Mass or anywhere? What is this, Hollywood? I mean, it sounds almost plausible on paper, but come on, for realsies here.

It is just one of many reasons. Not saying it happens daily, but it's a possibility, albeit a rare one. Here's a couple more:

Usually, departments purchase a full duty belt, holster, and firearm for a new hire - Their money, their call.
Second, and this is probably one of the biggest reasons, come range qual time, the Department is the one buying the ammo. Is it easier to buy a couple cases in one caliber, knowing its going to work in everyone's guns, or should they poll all their guys to see what they need for ammo because everyone's gun is different, then go buy a few boxes of each caliber they need?
Third, there is generally one type of ammo issued to officers as their "duty ammo." God forbid, the officer has to discharge his firearm and harm or kill someone, come court time, it's less of a headache if everyone is on the same page WRT what ammo is in their gun:

"So, Officer, is it true that you chose the FN 5.7 that fires the baby-and-cop-killing rounds?"
"Was the Dept. issue firearm not deadly enough for you that you felt you needed something capable of baby-and-cop-killing? Jury, this man is a killer. He chose baby killing rounds as his duty ammunition!"

Last edited:
How often, if EVER, have departments thrown fresh mags to one another in Mass or anywhere? What is this, Hollywood? I mean, it sounds almost plausible on paper, but come on, for realsies here.

Yup, this has been a total fallacy that dates way back. This does not actually occur during actual firefights. Although some departments still believe it.

To the best of my recollection:

New Jersey State Police (not really the NE :) used to issue the H&K P7M8 (9mm Rem. Softpoint ammo). One of only two dept's. in the US to issue the P7 from my limited understanding. They switched to Sig. 228/229 in 9mm a few years ago and are issuing Gold Dots.

Oh, and Hi everybody!

It is just one of many reasons. Not saying it happens daily, but it's a possibility, albeit a rare one. Here's a couple more:

Usually, departments purchase a full duty belt, holster, and firearm for a new hire - Their money, their call.
Second, and this is probably one of the biggest reasons, come range qual time, the Department is the one buying the ammo. Is it easier to buy a couple cases in one caliber, knowing its going to work in everyone's guns, or should they poll all their guys to see what they need for ammo because everyone's gun is different, then go buy a few boxes of each caliber they need?
Third, there is generally one type of ammo issued to officers as their "duty ammo." God forbid, the officer has to discharge his firearm and harm or kill someone, come court time, it's less of a headache if everyone is on the same page WRT what ammo is in their gun:

"So, Officer, is it true that you chose the FN 5.7 that fires the baby-and-cop-killing rounds?"
"Was the Dept. issue firearm not deadly enough for you that you felt you needed something capable of baby-and-cop-killing? Jury, this man is a killer. He chose baby killing rounds as his duty ammunition!"

When outfitting 30-40,000 cops, it could turn into a logistical nightmare if everyone had something different, I agree with you there. But it doesn't have to be that hard; instead of a dept. buying duty gear, they could accomplish something similar with a voucher program or uniform allowance, and the same thing for range ammo come qualification day. The department would essentially be spending the same money, but the cops would do the shopping. I think the good thing about a policy like this is it involves the officer in the process a lot more.

Down here in Florida there's a ton of agencies (pretty big ones too) who require the individual to purchase their own gun. Usually it's from an approved list of firearms (some say "Choose from these 8 makes and models," others say "anything chambered in X caliber"), but some don't restrict it at all. Some also issue a standard pistol, but let you choose your own if you want to carry that instead. I've heard of a few guys that prefer the latter method because when their gun is taken in a shooting, they still have carry options.

Glock, 1911, Springfield, H&K, S&W and others all make great guns, but everyone doesn't always like them the same.

Holyoke PD carry Glocks in .45. Except for Chief Scott. He doesn't carry.

[thinking]

Yup, this has been a total fallacy that dates way back. This does not actually occur during actual firefights. Although some departments still believe it.

Almost every single police shooting is more of a one on one type deal, and I've never once heard of one where people were throwing mags to their friends who ran low. Even at North Hollywood, the Ceres shootout, and similar incidents where a lot of cops were on scene firing a lot of rounds, this scenario doesn't come up.

Very true. We were always handed a handful of rounds, NOT a box of rounds, so almost none of the officers ever see the label on the box of carry ammo.

Most officers won't practice their skills for two specific reasons (from experience talking with other officers):

- They aren't interested in guns and if they used their gun, they'd have to clean it (no kidding).

- A union mentality. "If they want me to practice, they will pay me OT, provide my ammo, and clean my gun when I'm done!"

I've personally invited 3 or 4 chiefs and numerous officers to join me as my guest at a gun club to practice. I've done this so many times in the past 10 years that I've lost count and NOT ONE officer has taken me up on the offer. Most are officers that I have worked with on the PD and/or friends.

I hear you LenS I have two buddies on the job one with the MBTA and I did some work on his glock, seeing I am a glock armorer and I gave him some of my cards and told him if some of the guys need work or parts that I would give them a good deal. He said most of the guys are not into firearms. Which I always think is strange he go's to the range a lot but like myself he was a infantry Marine so we both shoot a lot.

I am not LE but like LE I have had to depend on a firearm to protect myself and have always found it very important to have good marksmanship skills. More so as LE any missed shots are going to hit something or someone it shouldn't so shot placement and shooting skills should be one of the top things on the list. I have seen braintree police on the range and one of the biggest mistakes they make and I know its not just there department is they have there officers put there hand up if you have a miss feed or a jam. Which if you drill like that you are going to do the same thing in a gun fight. Tap, rack and attempt to fire has been drilled into me and most times I don't even know I do it when I am on the range and the hammer go's click and no bang.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom