Why GOAL supports H.4376? Have they lost it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for all the people who are slightly confused about it....

"GOAL is the Official State Association of the National Rifle Association"

From Goal's website, http://www.goal.org/ . So the NRA home office is saying this bill sucks, and the local office is saying this bill rocks.

Confused? So, Goal, NRA, which position is "right", get your stories straight.

In my opinion, any bill that negatively impacts firearm owners in Massachusetts is a bad bill and should not be supported. The small compromises is what landed this commonwealth to be nationally recognized as draconian in regards to firearm laws.

****ing birthplace of america and whatnot, horse shit.

I completely disagree. It was the huge draconian bill losses that landed us there. 1998 and AWB.

Goal just took the next of those huge draconian bills and turned it upside down and got more benefit out of it than loss.

They got women (and men) the right to buy and carry pepper spray to defend themselves, something we have all been screaming about for years!

They just stripped chiefs of unfettered discretion in restrictions, and added due process to denials and restrictions for LTCs. Those restrictions affected what percentage of LTC Holders? I forget was it 10% of them, or 20%? I forget. Nearly 100% of those living in Boston, THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY NEED TO BE ABLE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THEMSELVES OUTSIDE OF THEIR OWN FRONT DOORS.

This gives Comm2a a vast pool of potential litigants from which they can pick and choose the best ones to assert some rights here.

Yeah, there are some negatives in this bill. The positve far outwiegh them in my opinion and in no way is this any kind of a "loss" on whole.

Last edited:
Ummmmm no. It was the huge draconian bill losses that landed us there. 1998 and AWB.

Goal just took the next of those huge draconian bills and turned it upside down and got more benefit out of it than loss.

They got women (and men) the right to buy and carry pepper spray to defend themselves, something we have all been screaming about for years!

They just stripped chiefs of unfettered discretion in restrictions, and added due process to denials and restrictions for LTCs. Those restrictions affected what percentage of LTC Holders? I forget was it 10% of them, or 20%? I forget. Nearly 100% of those living in Boston, THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY NEED TO BE ABLE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THEMSELVES OUTSIDE OF THEIR OWN FRONT DOORS.

This gives Comm2a a vast pool of potential litigants from which they can pick and choose the best ones to assert some rights here.

Yeah, there are some negatives in this bill. The positve far outwiegh them in my opinion and in no way is this any kind of a "loss" on whole.

Pretty much my thoughts. I'm no lawyer, but I think the main goal here (Hehe) is to get more laws on the books to pave the way for actual lawsuits that can change laws for the better. America is unique in that the judicial branch actually has the power to change laws through court cases. The only problem is that there needs to be a law on the book to fight and someone willing to take the heat

Do we have anything that resembles a plan to win elections in November?
A plan to "educate some of the fudds and general public.
A plan to raise money for pro 2A candiadates.
A plan to keep the pro 2A candiates in office?
I think we have momentum going for ( not against ) us .
Do we have aplan to captialize on our momentum?
Open to sugesstions.
Gboy

we still need permission to exercise a constitutional right!

Yes, I agree. Here's the thing: The courts have never ruled on these issues, so there really isn't a right, just some assumptions under which we've been living. As the statists have been intruding on those assumptions with laws, we as a nation have been taking it and taking it until just the last handful of years.

Currently (and please, if I'm factually wrong somebody please correct me) there is only case law from SCOTUS that says handguns in the home are an individual right of all citizens. Not long guns. Not outside the home. Some meddling around the edges about guns in common usage that I haven't looked into at all. That's pretty much it.

Nobody is going to legally recognize our rights that come to us from our Creator. We have to force them to. For the children.

ETA: This is why, in the most perverse and ironical way possible, that Chitcago, California, Washington DC, Massachusetts and the rest of the oppressive states are actually going to be the cradle of liberty in this area. The free staters who are so vocal on NES are the ones living in the states who are and will be doing absolutely nothing in this fight.

It's mind blowing when you think about it.

Last edited:
Restrictions are subject to judicial review at any time.

This one section tips the sum of the bill towards the positive side for the approximately 26,000 people in MA who have a restricted LTC. (This section takes effect on January 1, 2015.)

Would this also apply to non-residents?

ETA: This is why, in the most perverse and ironical way possible, that Chitcago, California, Washington DC, Massachusetts and the rest of the oppressive states are actually going to be the cradle of liberty in this area. The free staters who are so vocal on NES are the ones living in the states who are and will be doing absolutely nothing in this fight.

insightful and true

Yes, I agree. Here's the thing: The courts have never ruled on these issues, so there really isn't a right, just some assumptions under which we've been living. As the statists have been intruding on those assumptions with laws, we as a nation have been taking it and taking it until just the last handful of years.

Currently (and please, if I'm factually wrong somebody please correct me) there is only case law from SCOTUS that says handguns in the home are an individual right of all citizens. Not long guns. Not outside the home. Some meddling around the edges about guns in common usage that I haven't looked into at all. That's pretty much it.

Nobody is going to legally recognize our rights that come to us from our Creator. We have to force them to. For the children.

I beleave the courts have ruled on this issue before United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542 (1875)

United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542 (1875) - A post Civil War era case relating to the Ku Klux Klan depriving freed slaves basic rights such as freedom of assembly and to bear arms. The court ruled the application of the First and Second Amendments "was not intended to limit the powers of the State governments in respect to their own citizens" and "has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government," respectively. In summary, it ruled the federal government could not file charges against citizens in federal court regarding violations of other citizens' constitutional rights. It was up to the states to protect the fundamental rights of its citizens when their rights were abridged by other citizens.[/B

]Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886) - This second post-Civil War era case related to the meaning of the Second Amendment rights relating to militias and individuals. The court ruled the Second Amendment right was a right of individuals, not militias, and was not a right to form or belong to a militia, but related to an individual right to bear arms for the good of the United States, who could serve as members of a militia upon being called up by the Government in time of collective need. In essence, it declared, although individuals have the right to keep and bear arms, a state law prohibiting common citizens from forming personal military organizations, and drilling or parading, is still constitutional because prohibiting such personal military formations and parades does not limit a personal right to keep and bear arms:
"We think it clear that there are no sections under consideration, which only forbid bodies of men to associate together as military organizations, or to drill or parade with arms in cities and towns unless authorized by law, do not infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms."
The Court also noted that the Second Amendment only restrained the federal government from regulating gun ownership, not the individual states:

This help
This help?

Last edited:
The court rule the fed can not take you 2a however the state can beleave but I can look it up

I'm not sure what you're saying there, but in McDonald SCOTUS ruled that the individualized federal Second Amendment right it found in Heller is also binding on the states.

For everything but the Second Amendment, Cruickshank has been bad law for decades. Look up "incorporation doctrine" or "incorporating the Bill of Rights against the states". For the Second Amendment, Cruickshank has been bad law since McDonald.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're saying there, but in McDonald SCOTUS ruled that the individualized federal Second Amendment right it found in Heller is also binding on the states.

For everything but the Second Amendment, Cruickshank has been bad law for decades. Look up "incorporation doctrine" or "incorporating the Bill of Rights against the states". For the Second Amendment, Cruickshank has been bad law since McDonald.[/QUO

Its still case law that people can lookup also I added more to that post
also SCOTUS said arms in use today however we still have and awb

Last edited:
Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886) - This second post-Civil War era case related to the meaning of the Second Amendment rights relating to militias and individuals. The court ruled the Second Amendment right was a right of individuals, not militias, and was not a right to form or belong to a militia, but related to an individual right to bear arms for the good of the United States,
[...]
This help?
This post says that SCOTUS qualified the 2A as a collective right of the people for the common defense of the country. Recent law made it a right to keep and bear for personal defense.

SCOTUS said arms in use today however we still have and awb

In order to challenge this law, a person needs to be charged with violating it. The circumstances surrounding that alleged violation need to be benign to the case. The person charged has to be willing to fight the charges and go to jail if he loses and not plea bargain down to something like a storage violation. The person has to be found guilty. The person has to appeal.

That's my understanding. It's hard to come up with a person so willing to fight the good fight who is squeaky clean that he walks into a police station carrying an unloaded brand new weapon with one too many killy features that he obtained legally somehow or built himself, and subject himself to the legal process.

You up for that challenge?

This post says that SCOTUS qualified the 2A as a collective right of the people for the common defense of the country. Recent law made it a right to keep and bear for personal defense.

In order to challenge this law, a person needs to be charged with violating it. The circumstances surrounding that alleged violation need to be benign to the case. The person charged has to be willing to fight the charges and go to jail if he loses and not plea bargain down to something like a storage violation. The person has to be found guilty. The person has to appeal.

That's my understanding. It's hard to come up with a person so willing to fight the good fight who is squeaky clean that he walks into a police station carrying an unloaded brand new weapon with one too many killy features that he obtained legally somehow or built himself, and subject himself to the legal process.

ok so again mass just don't care about the SCOTUS ruling as for me being up for the challenge I don't have or need a big killy back gun however someday you should look up some of the challenges I took on in worcester (you could just look them up in the telegram)

Last edited:
ok so again mass just don't care about the SCOTUS ruling
On THAT we agree!

as for me being up for the challenge I don't have or need a big killy back gun how someday you should look up some of the challenge I took on in worcester (you could just look them up in the telegram)

Would I search under rchap36 or are we relying on my crystal ball? LOL ;-)

(No need to out yourself publicly (or privately) a quick summary would be fine if you want).

I took on the police dept before gemme about the lack of patrol in the main south
I took on city hall about the drugs in main south
I took the drug dealer to court on my own dine and won

ok if the Mass SJC found that Heller do apply to the State of Mass how can well have AWB

Exactly, the MA SJC refuses to recognize the McDonald or Heller decisions. They do not recognize that the 2A is an individual right via the 14th.

Commonwealth v. Runyan, 456 Mass. 230 (2010) The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts held that Heller did not apply to the Massachusetts state legislature and that the gun locks ordered under Massachusetts law are different from those regulated in Heller. Partially overturned by McDonald; The decisions made in Heller do apply to the State of Massachusetts (as with all States), but the gun lock requisite under MA law may indeed differ enough from D.C.'s statute to be found constitutional.

Reading it wrong?

The majority of people here don't like guns, don't own guns, and think more gun laws are better. ..

I disagree, strongly.

Ok how many people vote in m*******?
some just can't pay for this hobby
some are misinformed
But to say the majority don't like gun I think is wrong

With you.

This bill may not give us every thing we want, but it is a start. And winning our rights back has always been about the long game.

It takes a little, it gives us more than a little. I consider it an overall win. However, we do lose some, which is not nice. We need to do a T chart with pluses for our side and minuses for our side, then one of pluses for their side and minuses for their side.

The language that they applied to the FID is what I and several others were trying to get attached to the LTC, knowing we would not get shall issue.

I? I? Imagine your letters and calls, times 20, 60, 200 the volume. Ya gotta let people know.

This is an area in which we could use some improvement.

C O M M U N I C A T I O N S

How many petitions can be filed on Jan second?
Hit the courts with five thousand people who are restricted only because of where they live.
How many Boston residents can we get on board to use the commissioners words against him?

How many LTC-B's are there in MA?

1.Do we have anything that resembles a plan to win elections in November?
2. A plan to "educate some of the fudds and general public.
3. A plan to raise money for pro 2A candiadates.
4. A plan to keep the pro 2A candiates in office?
5. I think we have momentum going for ( not against ) us .
6. Do we have aplan to captialize on our momentum?
Open to sugesstions.

1. Massachusetts Pro Liberty Candidates
2. Working on this.
3. see 1.
4. see 1.
5. yes
6. not yet. need to do this!

Now, THIS is where the word ironic might be more fitting.

This post says that SCOTUS qualified the 2A as a collective right of the people for the common defense of the country. Recent law made it a right to keep and bear for personal defense. In order to challenge this law, a person needs to be charged with violating it. The circumstances surrounding that alleged violation need to be benign to the case. The person charged has to be willing to fight the charges and go to jail if he loses and not plea bargain down to something like a storage violation. The person has to be found guilty. The person has to appeal. That's my understanding.

It's hard to come up with a person so willing to fight the good fight who is squeaky clean that he walks into a police station carrying an unloaded brand new weapon with one too many killy features that he obtained legally somehow or built himself, and subject himself to the legal process.

I'd say it is getting close to that for some or maybe even many people. Really.

Exactly, the MA SJC refuses to recognize the McDonald or Heller decisions. They do not recognize that the 2A is an individual right via the 14th.

So, how do we turn this around then?

Last edited:
since i know you personally, and i know you're one of the good guys i've got to say i'm disgusted by the people calling you and threatening you or saying other nasty shit to you. anonymously, of course. let it roll off your back, man--they are just cowards.

this.

Looks like to me many of the concessions here play right into Comm2A's strengths.

Also noticed that the application receipt section specifically calls out a procedure for applications received by mail (receipt returned by mail within 7 days). CoP are going to have a harder time slow-rolling applications if they're sent by certified mail w/ return receipt, and harder to say they don't accept them by mail when the law talks about applications by mail.

Just keep in mind that the pepper spray legalization has caveats. If you're under 18 you need a FID. If you are statutorily disqualified from getting a LTC, you're also disqualified from possessing pepper spray.

Its still huge... UMass Amherst is looking to permit pepper spray (as I mentioned earlier, one of the initiatives pushed by the UMass gun club). Now pretty much every student is eligible, before it was for all intents and purposes in state residents only

Mike

Its still huge... UMass Amherst is looking to permit pepper spray (as I mentioned earlier, one of the initiatives pushed by the UMass gun club). Now pretty much every student is eligible, before it was for all intents and purposes in state residents only

Mike

So long as they're US citizens or green card holders. Here on a student VISA? You still get the shaft. Hopefully not literally, but that might be the case because the Commonwealth does not deem your life worthy of protecting.

Just keep in mind that the pepper spray legalization has caveats. If you're under 18 you need a FID. If you are statutorily disqualified from getting a LTC, you're also disqualified from possessing pepper spray.

but if you're over 18, they're no background check to purchase, so that's a moot point. it will only be used in the prosecution of someone using pepper spray in the commission of a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom