• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will "Real ID" clean house?

I'm actually surprised they are doing this in Mass...a sanctuary commonwealth.... there has to be a huge money angle in this for the state. probably trying to recoup some of that stolen overtime by the MSP.

My drivers license expires soon (this thread prompted me to visit the RMV site...thanks OP). Turns out all this new bullshit is preventing me from renewing. They want a passport number or birth certificate now...EVEN for the non-realID license. Of course my passport is expired and last time I saw my birth certificate was in 1984 when I got my learners permit.

All this time the state of MA thought I was a US citizen....now I have to prove it! I feel safer already.

You should have a passport. No driver's license is going to get you out of and back into the USA if you should need to travel on short notice. Everyone should have a passport -- even your children.

Starting in 2020 when all DL's will need to be changed, it may be difficult to drive with just a passport.

This will be all positive and have tremendous upside to the legal tax paying public ..... ID Please

or...you can choose to be a newly non-compliant illegal in MA and reap all kind of benefits!

All better than quilted two ply

Starting in 2020 when all DL's will need to be changed, it may be difficult to drive with just a passport.

This statement is disingenuous, there are states (like NH) that likely will still be issuing a "non compliant" drivers license at the choosing of the
applicant (probably with some disclaimer about its limitations) alongside a RealID compliant offering.

-Mike

Truthfully, I see no reason why RealID is going to be any more inherently secure than what we've always had. Illegals are still going to get them, and this being Mass I'm sure they'll hand them out like free candy to anyone here in violation of immigration law.

The thing some in this thread are ignoring is the fact that they don't need them anyways. Unless RealID is required to work, and even then, there's still thousands off off-rolls/under the table jobs in this country.

-Mike

Got my certified birth certificate a a W2 right here and will use my LTC and the letter they sent me later this month. Waiting to see if the lines settle down but have to get it done this week.

Not sure what the illegals are going to do.

You only need a birth certificate to get the real ID right??

I lucked out, my DL was due to expire in 3 weeks, but I was able to renew it online before the 26th
cut off date. Passed on getting a "Real ID". I haven't flown in 30 years, and I don't intend to for
the longterm foreseeable future.

If the government wants you to get one you already know it can't be good. It's just one more step closer to getting numbers tattooed on our asses.

Truthfully, I see no reason why RealID is going to be any more inherently secure than what we've always had. Illegals are still going to get them, and this being Mass I'm sure they'll hand them out like free candy to anyone here in violation of immigration law.

Immigration advocates here have been quite about this so far (at least I haven't heard or read anything).
Some states issue DL's to illegal aliens, it's been brought up in this state a few times but thankfully
never went anywhere. Don't be surprised if the try again, only this time more aggressively.

If the government wants you to get one you already know it can't be good. It's just one more step closer to getting numbers tattooed on our asses.

When I was in grad school back in 2007 I wrote a white paper on the controversy of the REAL ID act. Even a cursory glance at Wikipedia's controversy section on the act should cause concern among liberty-minded individuals here at NES. The system clearly makes it easier for the federal government to track the citizenry. While we may see some benefits with regard to curbing illegal aliens, I think that could/should be done with legislation that DOESN'T affect the rights of American citizens.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia

Also worth noting would be exploring the preceding section on state noncompliance and adoption. At the time I was researching the act, numerous states (maybe half) were enacting oppositional legislation. Utah in particular had the following position (emphasis mine):

On February 16, 2007, Utah unanimously passed a resolution that opposes the REAL ID Act. The resolution states that REAL ID is "in opposition to the Jeffersonian principles of individual liberty, free markets, and limited government". It further states that "the use of identification-based security cannot be justified as part of a 'layered' security system if the costs of the identification 'layer'—in dollars, lost privacy, and lost liberty—are greater than the security identification provides":

• "the "common machine-readable technology" required by the REAL ID Act would convert state-issued driver licenses and identification cards into tracking devices, allowing computers to note and record people's whereabouts each time they are identified"

• "the requirement that states maintain databases of information about their citizens and residents and then share this personal information with all other states will expose every state to the information security weaknesses of every other state and threaten the privacy of every American"

• "the REAL ID Act wrongly coerces states into doing the federal government's bidding by threatening to refuse noncomplying states' citizens the privileges and immunities enjoyed by other states' citizens"

"the "common machine-readable technology" required by the REAL ID Act would convert state-issued driver licenses and identification cards into tracking devices, allowing computers to note and record people's whereabouts each time they are identified"

Like credit cards and atm withdrawals?

"the "common machine-readable technology" required by the REAL ID Act would convert state-issued driver licenses and identification cards into tracking devices, allowing computers to note and record people's whereabouts each time they are identified"

Like credit cards and atm withdrawals?

Stingray cell tower, traffic camera with plate recognition, EZPass....

See the link posted just below your post. RealID requires a pile of documentation. Even the non-RealID version requires documentation that was not required before, and it won't get you on a plane.

Great thank you!!

Looks like I gotta gather up some stuff!!!

Went to AAA in Plymouth last Wednesday, and my new Real ID license showed up yesterday. Total time was less than 20, so glad I thought of going there instead of the DMV.

When the woman explained that you can still get the old style license I would not be able to use that ID to board a plane or enter a Federal building. So I said well if I'm a defendant in a Federal Court case guess I get go in for my trial. She said right you can't go in. Told her don't think your answer is correct, and got the old deer in the headlights look.

IMO The people here illegally will just become desperate and they will resort to criminal/black market activities to support themselves making the state more unsafe. This isn't a good solution.

Last edited:
So I said well if I'm a defendant in a Federal Court case guess I get go in for my trial. She said right you can't go in. Told her don't think your answer is correct, and got the old deer in the headlights look.

yeah.. you'd go in for your trial as a defendant... but what if you're called for Federal jury duty?.. doubt you're getting in...

I'm kind of surprised that nobody here seems to be against the idea of a federal ID card.
Papiere, bitte...

Same here. I was at the DMV recently and got a puzzled look by the clerk that I didn't want a compliant ID (in NH you have a check-box choice at the top of the application). I have a couple of IDs that are real ID compliant and don't feel the need for another. NH held out against REAL ID for a long time, and I'm proud they did. Furthermore, in NH, your photograph and SSN do not need to remain on file if you do not wish them to, once your driver license is approved. (Though only if you have a non-REAL ID license.)

Went to AAA in Plymouth last Wednesday, and my new Real ID license showed up yesterday. Total time was less than 20, so glad I thought of going there instead of the DMV.

When the woman explained that you can still get the old style license I would not be able to use that ID to board a plane or enter a Federal building. So I said well if I'm a defendant in a Federal Court case guess I get go in for my trial. She said right you can't go in. Told her don't think your answer is correct, and got the old deer in the headlights look.
Does that mean if you get arrested you can’t go to a federal prison?

Before "REAL ID IS REQUIRED BY 2020!!!!", it was "REAL ID IS REQUIRED BY 2018!!!!", and before that "REAL ID IS REQUIRED BY 2016!!!!", and on, and on, and on.

The feds have caved every single time. They even "deemed" the NH DL to be compliant with REAL ID, after NH passed a law forbidding compliance. The date keeps moving, and has been moving since the REAL ID act first passed.

And oh, by the way: screw you if you're cheering for the requirement.

Agree with KB.

I also would give better than even odds that oct 2020 becomes oct 2022. As we get closer to that date, it is going to be a sh..show in many states with people complaining about not knowing. Imagine the press on the day after it goes into effect and you have an 85 year grandmother who went to the airport and tries to get through security and doesn't have a realid. Pick any story you want.

I applied last week. It should be here soon.

Go to AAA. You'll save HOURS of your time. I just walked in - no wait.

On the Mass RMV site you can get the process going...

Enter the required information and choose the documents you have that meet the criteria for documentation on the website.

I chose - SS Card (it was rejected because I laminated it), Passport Card, Pay stub from work, Mass LTC was needed because the laminated SS Card was rejected. I also had a copy of my auto insurance policy but I didn't need it.

After you tell the RMV website what you are bringing - it will print out a list of your items to bring to AAA. Having all this ready will be very helpful.

Don't forget your AAA card to process at AAA.

Being a AAA member is a no brainer for many reasons so if you have not joined, you should. After you get your AAA card - then get your Real ID at AAA.

You wont need it till years for now anyway.

Before arriving for your photo, make sure you look presentable. Get a haircut and shave / groom your beard. You'll also look better with a nice collared shirt.

AAA will allow you as long as you want to take a decent photo.

Keep in mind that you have to sign your signature on a touch screen with a electronic pen. Take your time and do it over how many times as you want. The pen is not aligned properly so you will not be able to dot your i's or cross your t's. If you try it will show up in the wrong place and look stupid. After trying for a couple minutes I decided not to dot i's or cross t's.

If you have your former drivers license, social security card, and passport or passport card - you'll be all set. Most people have a pay stub and car insurance policy. If you don't have a passport or passport card - I think a birth certificate would work.

Just thoroughly read the requirement on the Mass RMV site. The site makers on the RMV did a good job and kept things clear and easy.

Back
Top Bottom