• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will "Real ID" clean house?

i have a friend trying to get her drivers license renewed. You now need your SOCIAL SECURITY card to do so. Along with other crap.

Now i am wondering exactly where my SS card, issued in 1968, is right now? Just a heads up...go find yours ahead of time

You mean the social security card, many of which when originally issued said "Not Valid for ID" right on it?

"Seventh version of SSN card (1/46 revision). The seal was now the Social Security Administration Seal and both the card and the stub bore the legend “For Social Security Purposes Not For Identification.” Back of the card showed: Federal Security Agency, Social Security Administration.

Sixth version of replacement SSN card (1/46 revision). Both card and stub showed “For Social Security Purposes--Not For Identification” across the bottom. Back of card showed: Federal Security Agency, Social Security Administration."

A friend went in today. His SS number came back as belonging to another person in another state. (ID theft - could be?) The point is, the RMV employee then hits a few keys and says, "you're all set, but this may happen again when you renew"??? WTF!!! Here's a guy who doesn't match is SS number, and the RMV says "it's OK, it happens all the time"????? HUH??

If they're OKaying some of these new licenses without the necessary verification that's supposed to represent what a "REAL ID" is. How is this system, that the RMV has no ability, or desire to correct supposed to "weed out" the....well, weed out the people the whole program is trying to intercept??

How many bogus SS numbers are floating around out there?

Well MA RMV sold SSNs and DLs to illegals a number of years ago . . . some heads rolled and I think that they were prosecuted. Other agencies in MA did similar stuff. I'm sure other states had similar issues. One thing you NEVER hear about is that they ever "made it right" for the victims of stolen identity. So I do think this is reasonably common and why SSNs should NOT be used as a national ID.

Last edited:
I have a friend who lurks here on occasion.

He is a US citizen, born to an American Mom and a Saudi dad, in Saudi Arabia.

He has an FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America) and it took the Registry multiple trips to accept this as a valid document.

His LTC nearly expired as well, because his town requires your Driver's license to be registry printed with your current address. Took weeks to get the DL, they issued a copy of his current (soon to expire) DL with updated address (and charged him) then he got the birth abroad certificate validated, and got to pay for a renewal as well.

A proper cock-up.

Meaning Real ID? it is not federal and Real ID compliance itself does nothing to link state systems together. It just has to do with providing the documentation to prove you are you and are supposed to be here.

Sharing between states is starting to happen, but is unrelated to Real ID compliance. AAMVA has had some data sharing for a few years now, but states are now starting to share directly, real time, with more states joining each year.

Web site is worth a read.

American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators

On that site I see discussion on a "mobile drivers license" AYFKM? You think I'm handing an UNLOCKED mobile to a cop?! They're f*cking high.

R

“We demand 100 percent safe operations in aviation, marine, pipeline, rail and transit, we should cultivate a corresponding societal demand for safe roads,” said NSC President and CEO Deborah A.P. Hersman. “With these three guidelines, everyone can do something to reduce fatalities on the roadway. Getting to zero fatalities is not impossible – it just hasn’t been done yet.”

Road to Zero

Sounds like a real megalomaniac. Besides the impossibility of getting 100% yield on nearly anything, it sounds like she’s perfectly willing to step over basic rights (i.e requiring automation/tracking in driving) to get to her goal.

The entire framework can be found here: https://www.nsc.org/Portals/0/Docum...Zero/The-Report.pdf?ver=2018-04-17-111652-263

Last edited:
I lucked out, my DL was due to expire in 3 weeks, but I was able to renew it online before the 26th
cut off date. Passed on getting a "Real ID". I haven't flown in 30 years, and I don't intend to for
the longterm foreseeable future.

I'm trying to renew my license right now - and it's not letting me. I selected the no Real ID option, and then it just tries to shove me into giving up my passport or birth certificate information for my "proof of lawful presence".

I don't have a passport , and I don't have a birth certificate with a number on it. I've got a stamped birth certificate , but the thing is from like 40 years ago, so it doesn't have any sort of ID# on it.

I don't need a passport - and I couldn't get one anyway in time to renew the license (expires end of May), so that's not even an option.

WTF.

As do I.....and they will as its real id compliant

Funny how no one in the thread is discussing to any significant degree the DOWNSIDE of what is effectively now a federal ID requirement.....especially wrt banking/money and a pile of other things that the fed gov shouldnt be involved in.

If the fed gov were to do its constitutional job and control the damn borders then this BS with ID's would be unnecessary

Exactly.

The f***ing illegals just made my life harder.

It's something I will DEFINITELY remember.

I'm trying to renew my license right now - and it's not letting me. I selected the no Real ID option, and then it just tries to shove me into giving up my passport or birth certificate information for my "proof of lawful presence".

I don't have a passport , and I don't have a birth certificate with a number on it. I've got a stamped birth certificate , but the thing is from like 40 years ago, so it doesn't have any sort of ID# on it.

I don't need a passport - and I couldn't get one anyway in time to renew the license (expires end of May), so that's not even an option.

WTF.

Did you start here?

https://atlas-myrmv.massdot.state.ma.us/myrmv/_/

It is very easy..... Call town hall where you were born. Ask how. They will want a fee possibly as much as $15 plus a SASE envelope to mail it to you. Or go in person. Amazingly they just give these things out without any ID or anything. So if you want to become someone else, now is your chance.

Yep - that looks like the same system I was in. I got the renewal notice in the snail mail, which said I could renew online - and I've been so busy for the last couple of weeks I just forgot to do it. I've renewed online in the past and not had a problem. The snail mail notice in fact says once you do it online you can receive the new license in 5-7 business days.

I may have to see if I can get a certified birth certificate with some sort of ID # on it, maybe that will let me renew online.

It is very easy..... Call town hall where you were born. Ask how. They will want a fee possibly as much as $15 plus a SASE envelope to mail it to you. Or go in person. Amazingly they just give these things out without any ID or anything. So if you want to become someone else, now is your chance.

Yeah - I was born in Concord (MA) - so I should probably just take a ride over to Town Hall and get a new copy of my birth certificate.

I took my daughter for her learners permit a couple of weeks ago. They didn't want the birth certificate. SS Card, passport, signed affidavit, school id, a copy of my DL and we were done.

Oh, and definitely fill the paperwork out first on-line before you go if you can. For license renewals if you are a triple A member you can go to a triple A office that has a mini registry that usually renew licenses and registrations for AAA Members. The Westwood Office provides these services. Daughter was a permit and they do not do permits at triple A.

I took my daughter for her learners permit a couple of weeks ago. They didn't want the birth certificate. SS Card, passport, signed affidavit, school id, a copy of my DL and we were done.

Oh, and definitely fill the paperwork out first on-line before you go if you can. For license renewals if you are a triple A member you can go to a triple A office that has a mini registry that usually renew licenses and registrations for AAA Members. The Westwood Office provides these services. Daughter was a permit and they do not do permits at triple A.

Good tips. I am an AAA member. I already called Concord Town Hall - they're going to have a long-form birth certificate ready for me this afternoon. I'll stop by tomorrow morning and pick it up and try the online license renewal thing again after I have that.

Q: REAL ID does NOT apply to the following:
  • Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
  • Voting or registering to vote
  • Applying for or receiving Federal benefits
  • Being licensed by a state to drive
  • Accessing Health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics), law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant's access to court proceedings)
  • Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations
Real ID Public FAQs

The f***ing government just made my life harder.
FIFY.

I renewed yesterday in NH. It took a full hour, but only because the DMV is a 50 minute round trip.

As on my initial license, I opted out of them retaining SSN or photo; this time, I also got to opt out of the REAL ID-compliant option.

I received zero push-back, just a gentle reminder that if I needed a replacement, I would have to present two forms of ID.

FIFY.

I renewed yesterday in NH. It took a full hour, but only because the DMV is a 50 minute round trip.

As on my initial license, I opted out of them retaining SSN or photo; this time, I also got to opt out of the REAL ID-compliant option.

I received zero push-back, just a gentle reminder that if I needed a replacement, I would have to present two forms of ID.

Similar to my experience last year. I was annoyed by the whole temporary license drill though. They should be able to do normal licenses on the spot like the old days. The system leads me to suspect that what we have is a Real ID in every respect but the little decorative star in the corner.

I'm trying to renew my license right now - and it's not letting me. I selected the no Real ID option, and then it just tries to shove me into giving up my passport or birth certificate information for my "proof of lawful presence". ...

The "proof" documents to get either version of the drivers license appear to be the same.

Since you cannot renew a RealID online and you can (at least half the time) a regular license, then assuming you have a passport or passport card to cover those situations where you DO need RealID . . .

You're better off getting the regular license.

Q: REAL ID does NOT apply to the following:
  • Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification ...

I wonder... is this a "Get Out of Jury Duty Free" card? Not having RealID, I mean...?

FIFY.

Sounds like you went to Twin. :D

No. It will be a matter of time until they uncover a bribery scheme where people were getting Real ID by paying someone off, or because person(s) checking docs are SJWs.

The "proof" documents to get either version of the drivers license appear to be the same.

Since you cannot renew a RealID online and you can (at least half the time) a regular license, then assuming you have a passport or passport card to cover those situations where you DO need RealID . . .

You're better off getting the regular license.

I wonder... is this a "Get Out of Jury Duty Free" card? Not having RealID, I mean...?

Yep.

I'm not getting a RealID compliant license - I'll get the regular license. But you're correct - when you select the regular license - it asks for all the same shit anyway in the online RMV site.

I went to Concord (MA) - and got a long form copy of my birth certificate yesterday. I have to say - the woman at the Town Clerk's office was very nice, very helpful - and had it all ready to go when I got there ( I had called the day before). She said a lot of people have been coming in for birth certificates because of this license crap. As much of a pain in the ass I think the vast majority of the government is - I still think it deserves mention when I get good service somewhere. So kudos to the Concord Town Clerk.

Back
Top Bottom