Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns? If so, what material?

• Yes, latex.

Votes: 49 8.9%
  • Yes, nitrile.

Votes: 125 22.8%
  • Yes, other material.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • No, but I'm considering wearing gloves in the future.

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • No.

Votes: 303 55.3%

• Total voters
My guns are stainless, so I don't clean them often.[wink]

I still haven't cleaned my S&W 625 for the first time yet. Bought it last year and killed a lot of pumpkins at Shirley with it.

I use non-latex if I'm using break-free. All my other cleaning stuff is non-toxic so I don't then.

Nitrile gloves every time I clean my guns. There's just no reason not to. Unless you like the whole dying thing. [smile]

Actually... the reason I started using nitrile gloves when cleaning my guns is my acidic sweat. One of my first guns was a Kimber .45. I cleaned it bare handed one humid day.... put it away in the safe in all its perfect glory... and a few hours later I *needed* to fondle it again... so I opened the safe... and there was rust growing on the hammer, and a perfectly rusted fingerprint on the barrel.

Bare hands no more. The gloves prevent my sweat from getting on the guns... which prevent rust. And preventing nasty chemicals from seeping into my body is icing on the cake.

Do I wear the gloves when I shoot? No. But if it's not a Glock, it gets wiped down good immediately when I get home (to get my sweat off of the guns).

Last edited:
Nope. Too much of a pain in the ass. However, I do wash my hands frequently while cleaning or reloading. For example, if I go upstairs to get myself a beer or a snack or something in the process, ill stop by the bathroom and wash the crud off my hands.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have always used nitrile gloves. I don't seem to have any problems with grip.

Even absorption of non-toxic chemicals absorbed through the skin can put an unnecessary strain on your liver, per my PCP.

I do now, makes cleanup a snap and no smelly hands when I am done. However I think the years of me cleaning guns at the armory's solvent tanks with no protection has done enough damage that me wearing gloves now makes no difference.

I did a couple of times, but it was a PITA and the gloves actually seemed to weaken and tear very easy.

by the end, they just got in the way.

I would if i could get a pair that did not get in the way (or fall appart).

but then again, i wouldn't have that gun smell all day long too... [wink]

Only when I do not want to leave prints behind[smile][shocked]

Actually I never wear gloves when cleaning the toys. Probably a good idea not to get the salt from your hands on the toys though.

If I am just wiping down and lubing the guns, not always. If I am working with solvents, almost always (sometimes I run out). Started doing this after I had cleaned some firearms and mush have still had some solvent on my hands when I loaded one of my SD pistols. Solvent started disolving the brass. So, gloves with solvent and/or a good handwashing with soap before going on to other things. As for the venting, a previous owner had a canning station in the basement at one point. I left the vent they had over the stove in place. It is over my workbench and vents to the outside.

As for gloves while shoting, sometimes. Why leave finger prints on firearms and brass if you don't have too? (The guys in the black helecopters will do anything to frame you!!!) [smile]

I do now, makes cleanup a snap and no smelly hands when I am done. However I think the years of me cleaning guns at the armory's solvent tanks with no protection has done enough damage that me wearing gloves now makes no difference.

I concur. After not wearing gloves since the 60's, what difference does it make to me now?

As an aside, when I prep peppers for pickling, and eventually stuff them, I always wear gloves. But that's for sanitation more than anything else. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom