Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns? If so, what material?

• Yes, latex.

Votes: 49 8.9%
  • Yes, nitrile.

Votes: 125 22.8%
  • Yes, other material.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • No, but I'm considering wearing gloves in the future.

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • No.

Votes: 303 55.3%

• Total voters
Most solvents and oils are hygroscopic.

That means they can and will permeate your skin.

The chemicals get into your bloodstream, and have to be removed by your liver and kidneys.

The vapors are taken in by your lungs with the same result.

Not a good long term process.

I tried latex gloves, but the solvent "removes" them from my hands in short order...I'll probably try the nitrile version in the near future...

I use latex gloves sometimes, but it isn't to protect me so much as it is to protect the gun. My hands are pretty corrosive (oily and sweaty) (I go through guitar strings fast too), so I would rather not get that on guns.

I wear gloves not for safety, but because under my fingernails it would be black afterward. And I trim, but after cleaning a few guns, I would see that my fingers had a lot of black around the rims of nails, or even in my fingertips. So started wearing gloves just for cleanliness sake.

That said, I do like the fact that they keep chemicals off (out) of me.

Gloves when cleaning your guns? If your that paranoid I hope you're wearing one of these at the range.

NBCSuit01_0000.jpgcdc2650a-92d8-4b92-bf5e-14c2157466eaLarge-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. I wore work gloves to a construction site my cousin owned when I was working summers. That lasted about 5 minutes. I caught more grief about that I think it gave me a complex.

It has to be really, really cold or something really serious before I wear gloves . Although I bought some mechanix gloves recently and wore them doing some work. They're frigging awesome.

I don't wear gloves when cleaning my guns. I'm seriously thinking about picking up an ultrasonic cleaner, and a gallon of Kroil to clean most of the parts with...

Anyone clean their guns neked?? [rofl2]

Nope. I wore work gloves to a construction site my cousin owned when I was working summers. That lasted about 5 minutes. I caught more grief about that I think it gave me a complex.

It has to be really, really cold or something really serious before I wear gloves . Although I bought some mechanix gloves recently and wore them doing some work. They're frigging awesome.

LOL holy shit you just reminded me of when I was 21 years old and I started working as a framer fresh out of my then seasonal Italian restaurant job. I had never done any kind of serious manual labor and I caught quite a bit of hell from the guys. I had long hair, a beard, drove a 1975 VW bus, weighed 160 soaking wet and could barely lift a stack of 2x4's to my shoulder. They'd say stuff like "It's not like lifting a frying pan is it you little twink?"... "You want me to grab you some tampons at the gas station faggot?"... "Does your boyfriend know you're spending the day with men?"... "I bet those filthy high school hippie chicks really love that piece of garbage bus don't they?"...

[rofl] Good Lord they were brutal but it didn't take me long to gain some mass and start pulling my own weight.

I got hooked on those blue nitrel gloves reloading. My fingers would get so gummy with black muck.

So I clean my guns with em too now, mostly to keep fingerprints off the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom