Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns? If so, what material?

• Yes, latex.

Votes: 49 8.9%
  • Yes, nitrile.

Votes: 125 22.8%
  • Yes, other material.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • No, but I'm considering wearing gloves in the future.

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • No.

Votes: 303 55.3%

• Total voters
wearing gloves for me is second nature i wear them all day work for various reasons..and when ever im working on vehicles..it just makes clean hands a breeze..beats scrubbing the hell of your hands after a grease/soot/carbon filled job,.. not to mention the stuff you cant all ways get that stays under your finger nails.

of course I do. it protects the guns from the natural oils on my hand [smile] Seriously, I do a final wipe down of the outside of the gun but when it comes to internals I like to wear the nitrile gloves to keep from finger printing, which can attract moisture and cause corrosion.

It's never too late to start wearing gloves. People can develop a reaction at ANY age and when you do it's too late! Most people have a certain amount of immunity to things like Hoppe's No. 9, pollen, mold, etc. but that immunity wears down with each exposure. It very common for people to develop allergies "suddenly" in their 30s. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I would if i could get a pair that did not get in the way (or fall apart).

This is familiar - I've found CLP dissolves nitrile gloves. Anyone else have that problem?

Anyway, that's not my real reason for resurrecting the thread. Saw an ad for a website (www dot shootserious dot com) that was advertising non-toxic cleaner and lube. Anybody hear of this outfit or know whether the products work or are non-toxic as claimed?

I have nitrile gloves but now I use Frog Lube.

Frog Lube in non toxic and I use it on the guns I shoot.

Other guns are queens and they don't ever get dirty.

If dillen sells frog lube then it must be awesome. Bob in Customer Service says so.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Well if you push the envelope, it would be smart also to war them while shooting. I don't do either, but at least diligently wash my hands with cold water at the range. The sign also says, do not use the same clothes at home, wash them separately etc etc.

Only if I'm going to a meeting where I need clean fingernails, which is to say not very often.

Nitrile are good. But they are only effective for up to 5 minutes in water. And latex are crap with oils.

I wear nitrile about half the time, usually when I have cuts to keep lead out of. Shoot with gtex maxiflex handling gloves most of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nitrile are good. But they are only effective for up to 5 minutes in water. And latex are crap with oils.

I wear nitrile about half the time, usually when I have cuts to keep lead out of. Shoot with gtex maxiflex handling gloves most of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I use nitrile gloves, but dont clean my guns in water or reload in water. So I guess i'm ok!

Cleaning guns I usually don't (I may rethink that), but during reloading I always have gloves on and they always end up black by the time I'm done.

After a lifetime of working with various solvents and oils, I should, but usually don't. I do know about the solvent absorption problem with bare hands though, and know that it will likely catch up with me someday. In my case it isn't deliberate, it's just that I haven't thought to actually have the gloves handy near my cleaning stuff as I do use them for other stuff like using stains and sometimes when working on particularly greasy automotive projects. I also don't wear glasses when cleaning, but learned a hard lesson a couple of months ago when spraying brake cleaner into the bore of an AR I was cleaning. It somehow blasted right back into my eyes after hitting one of the lugs, or other part of the chamber. Fortunately I was able to quickly flush them and didn't have any lasting effect, but I will never do that again without safety glasses!

Yes. Makes it easier to clean up after. Also, I've got two little girls that I prepare food for... Not going to do that with gun related residue on my hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

I wear the nitrile gloves when I clean my guns now. For one, its not great to get the chemicals on your hands and absorbed into your skin. Plus sometimes its a pain to get it all off your hands and from under your nails, especially after cleaning something that gets really dirty like an AR-15. I've got to go to the office the next day and shake hands and do meetings, doesn't look great with oil stains on your hands. Also though, I like how it keeps me from leaving any fingerprints or marks on the clean gun so I know it goes into the safe nice and clean and protected.

Back
Top Bottom