Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns? If so, what material?

• Yes, latex.

Votes: 49 8.9%
  • Yes, nitrile.

Votes: 125 22.8%
  • Yes, other material.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • No, but I'm considering wearing gloves in the future.

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • No.

Votes: 303 55.3%

• Total voters
I tried it once and it became nearly impossible to clean a gun without dropping it.

Most gun solvents have lubricants in them and make nitrile gloves extremely slippery. I just go native.

Yes, latex for most parts of the job and nitrile when using stuff (solvents) that swells latex.

Skin is very porous, solvents soak right in and go tap dance on your liver.

Yes, latex for most parts of the job and nitrile when using stuff (solvents) that swells latex.

Skin is very porous, solvents soak right in and go tap dance on your liver.

Thats why I just double up on the latex gloves, but if I am just using a little CLP and not crap loads of it I will forgo the gloves.

Ummm your supposed to wear gloves...[rofl] that would be a negative on my part... LOL last time I tore down and cleaned the AR I did it on my bed , you should have seen the look from my wife...atleast I put cardboard down

I never used to, but do now after reading a few articles about how some of these chemicals get absorbed into the skin and the damage they can cause. Figure wearing gloves is pretty easy and inexpensive. I also open the two windows in the basement to get a cross breeze going to help dissipate the vapors as well.

I recently started wearing gloves at least when I'm using the real nasty cleaners and copper solvents. If I'm just wiping some gun metal down with CLP or other oil, I usually don't bother. I think gloves do make it a bit more awkward to handle stuff, and if you're not careful, they do rip fairly easily. I definitely agree on good ventilation while using any cleaners, doing it outside if possible being the best solution.

I'm not sure it's worth it in my case, having gotten all kinds of nasty crap all over me while working on cars, bikes and just around the house for over 40 years. If nothing else, at least my hands don't stink of whatever oil or cleaner I've used if I wear the gloves. If I had young children, I think I would encourage them to use gloves most of the time.

I do when I'm cleaning but usually don't when I'm oiling/reassembling - just because it gets too slippery

I shot and cleaned guns w/o gloves for close to 30 years, then I got smart.

I use nitrile gloves when cleaning guns all the time now. The Hoppes #9 I use was bought >30 years ago (bought a very large bottle) with all the cancer causing agents still in it (not like today's formula).

Ventilation is a major problem, my little workroom doesn't have any. I also sometimes (time dependent) clean them at the gun clubs I belong to . . . a lot better ventilation there.

It never even occurred to me. Maybe I should look into it... I haven't heard of nitrile before...

No ventilation either, and the cats watch me the whole time and intently sniff everything and start acting high. Maybe I should lock them in another room.

If I wasn't so damn fussy about cleaning my guns everytime I shoot them, I probably wouldn't worry as much. But I spend alot of time with bore solvent, and I definitely make sure I wear the purple nitrile gloves every time. I get the ones from Wal-mart - 40 pairs for about $5.00.

I think back to the days my Dad would have me clean off motorcycle parts in a bucket of gasoline as a kid. Didn't even give gloves a second thought. Now I know better.

I worked with an environmental cleanup company for a couple of years, and was called in on several chemical spills. You better believe we always wore the appropriate level of protective gear. I know that chemicals can build up in the body over time with repeated exposure, and the more I can limit that exposure, the better off I'll be. You can't protect yourself from every hazard, but why not do something that's relatively simple and cheap?

Of course, if you're one of those "I clean my guns once a year whether they need it or not" types, it's probably not a big issue.

Ummm your supposed to wear gloves...[rofl] that would be a negative on my part... LOL last time I tore down and cleaned the AR I did it on my bed , you should have seen the look from my wife...atleast I put cardboard down

[laugh2][laugh2] I could just imagine the look.. I got the look when the misses got home and I was cleaning the AR on the coffee table.. Then she said "So you gonna clean my gun too?!" [laugh]

i usually wear protection, unless i'm drunk. [rofl]

oh, on the guns... yeah, i'm pretty good about gloving up and throwing on the eye protection.

however, i go bear back when breaking down / putting back together as the gloves tear easily.. especially after the solvent starts to break them down.

i got tired of buying dish washing gloves, those are too thick and i can't feel anything with them on.

why?

Do you wear gloves when you shoot the same guns you've just oiled/cleaned?

You have a point there, but I would argue that cleaning solvents have evaporated by the time you shoot the gun and oils are a light film, not a saturated coating all over every part of you hands and your nose where you scratched an itch.

I get my gloves here:
http://www.med-express.com/

*small edit*

i turned wrenches for 3 years and hated coming home smelling like diesel and grease!

i also hate the fact that my hands still smell like solvent AFTER i've showered.. makes me not wanna touch anything, including myself [wink]...

IT BURNS!!!! -that smell ... while good, it's not exactly what i want when i'm picking my nose or making dinner.

on the ventilation - yeah, all the windows are open and i drop paper bags to provide a small barrier... once i'm done, that trash goes out ASAP! -kina like HAZMAT. i don't want the smell lingering...

Back
Top Bottom