• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns?

Do you wear gloves when cleaning your guns? If so, what material?

• Yes, latex.

Votes: 49 8.9%
  • Yes, nitrile.

Votes: 125 22.8%
  • Yes, other material.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • No, but I'm considering wearing gloves in the future.

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • No.

Votes: 303 55.3%

• Total voters
It never even occurred to me. Maybe I should look into it... I haven't heard of nitrile before...

No ventilation either, and the cats watch me the whole time and intently sniff everything and start acting high. Maybe I should lock them in another room.

Nitrile is awesome. Stronger than latex and most are also a considerable amount "grippier" than latex gloves too

LOL holy shit you just reminded me of when I was 21 years old and I started working as a framer fresh out of my then seasonal Italian restaurant job. I had never done any kind of serious manual labor and I caught quite a bit of hell from the guys. I had long hair, a beard, drove a 1975 VW bus, weighed 160 soaking wet and could barely lift a stack of 2x4's to my shoulder. They'd say stuff like "It's not like lifting a frying pan is it you little twink?"... "You want me to grab you some tampons at the gas station faggot?"... "Does your boyfriend know you're spending the day with men?"... "I bet those filthy high school hippie chicks really love that piece of garbage bus don't they?"...

[rofl] Good Lord they were brutal but it didn't take me long to gain some mass and start pulling my own weight.

Sadly......you can't do that anymore!

I said yes, but it's more like sometimes. When I'm doing something quick, I usually skip the gloves, but if I'm getting really in depth or cleaning multiples I will grab some nitrile gloves. Honestly, I do it mostly so I can ditch the gloves when I do a final wipe down so I don't get shit all over a freshly cleaned/oiled gun.

Yup. 7mil from harbor freight. Between shooting, cleaning and reloading I figure that's enough lead exposure esp If I'm doing all 3 at least a few times a month.

holy resurrection thread batman --- 2009???

2 years before I even owned a firearm. but as an old(er) guy I've sucked more chemicals through the skin pores on my hands than I even want to think about. so my answer is NO. I don't wear gloves when cleaning my guns

but I would recommend using them for anyone who hasn't already made the mistakes I have

+1 to omega 42 for using the search function to resurrect this thread and not start a new one

Last edited:
Blue nitrile and M7pro. Why expose yourself to toxic stuff if you don't have to? Much easier to wash up afterwards too with all the gunk getting on your gloves rather than your hands.

I used to sell paint and industrial chemicals at one point in life. After seeing what long term exposure with even mild solvent does to people's hands and what heavy metals or caustic chemical exposure will do to person's overall health, always gloves and as mild a chemical needed to get the job done. Even if that means taking forever with prep and waiting for the chemicals to work. The time and expense upfront can save you likewise down the road.

Some people do tolerate exposure to nasty things A LOT more than others; with bodies which refuse to absorb nasty things which would outright kill or cause cancer in others. But do you really want to play Russian roulette with the genetic lottery when there's a simple alternative?

FrogLube = NO Gloves Needed

Whats so magical about froglube? Does it make the dirt just magically disappear? Half the reason for wearing gloves is not so much the solvent as it is the other crap that comes off the gun. And I don't care if the solvent you're using is safe to drink right out of the bottle, the stuff the solvent is taking off the gun most certainly still has toxic chemicals in it, so if you're hell bent about not getting exposed, pretending that "froglube will save you" is completely laughable.

-Mike

I do wear gloves. Tired of the black crap under my nails for days and the stink that most don't appreciate.

I use the ORIGINAL Hoppes #9. Bought a huge bottle of the stuff back in the late 1970s and still using it, pouring into small bottle in my cleaning/tool box.

Back
Top Bottom