• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gee. Too many deer. What to do?

They can do what the geniuses at Cornell in Ithaca NY did for only $1200 per deer. Wait, what, that didn't work either.....

Instead of dealing with the deer population with the usual hunting, Cornell administrators chose to launch a five-year pilot program that combined doe sterilization and hunting to manage the population. Without natural predators, deer reproduce until their numbers were limited only by the availability of food, the Post reports.

From the Post:

"The method of contraception chosen by Cornell was tubal ligation, in which a doe's fallopian tubes are either blocked or severed. This prevents egg cells from reaching the uterus. Unlike chemical forms of birth control, tubal ligation is typically permanent and avoids the expense of capturing the same deer each year to maintain their infertility. At a cost of roughly $1,200 per deer, 77 does were captured and sterilized though tubal ligation. (Without the help of the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, the costs would have been higher.)"

The program worked in one category: the birth rate went down. But over the course of the five-year program, the total number of deer stayed the same. While the sterilization decreased fawn and doe numbers, an increase in the buck population offset the population change. By 2013, around 100 deer lived on campus--the same amount as when the program started.

Maybe do what Indiana does:

The deer reduction zone season is Sept. 15, 2023 through Jan. 31, 2024. The bag limit for the reduction zones is 10 deer, of which only one can be antlered.

A friend of mine goes with his buddies every year. This year he came back with four.

I imagine in a four and a half month season a local could easily get 10.

Last edited:
I read the Wo is me article, but nothing is mentioned about the circumstances that caused this problem. I know nothing of the area.

Maybe do what Indiana does:

The deer reduction zone season is Sept. 15, 2023 through Jan. 31, 2024. The bag limit for the reduction zones is 10 deer, of which only one can be antlered.

A friend of mine goes with his buddies every year. This year he came back with four.

I imagine in four and a half month season a local could easily get 10.
Hoosier Daddy?

As for Beth Mack, she took matters into her own hands and decided to put up special fencing to keep deer out of her backyard.

“It was, literally, to the point that if we didn’t come up with a solution to keep them out of our backyard, we were going to put our house up for sale and move,” said Mack.

[rofl][rofl]

"She says over the past year, it seems like her neighborhood has been overrun with deer." “It is very typical to look out my window - 6, 8, 9, 12 deer,”
Livonia officials, residents explore options to deal with deer over-population
In MI. That state has a rep for having more hunters per square mile than any other state in the country. Over half a million gun hunters hit the woods annually. Kind of crazy to think they could have a population problem.

Seems to me like they have a solution. I would be willing to wager they would have a line of hunters waiting to solve that issue for them if they would grant them the required access.

We nearly exterminated the Buffalo. We could do the same to the Deer and Coyotes.

In MI. That state has a rep for having more hunters per square mile than any other state in the country. Over half a million gun hunters hit the woods annually. Kind of crazy to think they could have a population problem.

Seems to me like they have a solution. I would be willing to wager they would have a line of hunters waiting to solve that issue for them if they would grant them the required access.

They do have a sh*t ton of hunters. I have never seen so many dead deer.

I Googled Livonia, seems to be in a populated area, so probably hard to hunt.

MI also allows crossbow hunting, so shooting one in a neighborhood shouldn't be an issue.

They do have a sh*t ton of hunters. I have never seen so many dead deer.

I Googled Livonia, seems to be in a populated area, so probably hard to hunt.

MI also allows crossbow hunting, so shooting one in a neighborhood shouldn't be an issue.

If they wanted to solve the problem, they could. Archery only hunting, that sort of thing... If there are woods big enough to hold deer, there are woods big enough to bow hunt.

If they wanted to solve the problem, they could. Archery only hunting, that sort of thing... If there are woods big enough to hold deer, there are woods big enough to bow hunt.
They have solutions.

They do deer calls once in a while, hunters that took a class set up in parks at night and do head shots.

But I couldn't find a lot of info about it, like if they only do it in certain areas, or if they have to vote on it, how often they do it...

My yard in fenced.

If this becomes an issue in my area it will be the neighbors problem.
As someone who has been in the fence business for almost 40 years, I can tell you with absolute certainty, deer can jump over a 6' tall fence like it is not even there.
I have personally witnessed this on several occasions.
They generally prefer not to enter an enclosure, but like I said, I have seen it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNs1ehoO-o

I read the Wo is me article, but nothing is mentioned about the circumstances that caused this problem. I know nothing of the area.

Could be the same as one of the Islands (Nantucket or M.V., I forget which at the moment) a number of years ago where they didn't want hunting allowed but when the deer starting eating all their prized roses a call went out far and wide for hunters. Always the same, good intentions I suppose but not a fully baked idea.

Back
Top Bottom