• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gee. Too many deer. What to do?

I know where White Tail are an Invasive Species, Jamaica. A Tourist Park had a small White Tail Exhibit, six deer. When Hurricane Gilbert hit the Island back in 88 they escaped. They're now close to ten Thousand and terrorizing the local farmers.

Look at the map. Any missed shots, excess shots, or gunshot noise can just be blamed on the Hyatt Place, Detroit or Holiday Inn, Detroit.

LOL

But. . . .

Take a look with Streetview. It's a decent middle-class suburb. Reasonably far from trouble-area Detroit. It's just north of Dearborn which is a pretty nice area. If you've never been to Mishy-gun, you'd be amazed how startling the change from the city of Detroit to the surrounding area. Remember that Grosse Point is 3-4 miles from downtown and a pretty ritzy area.

Anyone know which town department might be my best bet for getting a dead deer out of my yard? The kids found him dead in the bushes this afternoon. Very exciting stuff. Maybe he broke his neck? Who knows. He’s been there a couple of days - I saw his stomach from the road this weekend but thought it was lingering snow or something else and forgot about it.

DPW? Animal control, though this one doesn’t seem to need controlling?

IMG_4127.jpeg

Anyone know which town department might be my best bet for getting a dead deer out of my yard? The kids found him dead in the bushes this afternoon. Very exciting stuff. Maybe he broke his neck? Who knows. He’s been there a couple of days - I saw his stomach from the road this weekend but thought it was lingering snow or something else and forgot about it.

DPW? Animal control, though this one doesn’t seem to need controlling?

View attachment 847262
Likely a car strike and he wandered off and died.

Several years ago there was a deer that tried to jump an iron rail at that church in Harvard square. Didn't quite clear it and impaled itself right there near the T during morning commute. Cambridge PD came with the animal control officer and they put a bullet in it.

I called the PD front desk last night to ask if they knew which town dept. would handle it. After fielding questions about the creature's gender identity, age, antlers and location he said I should probably just drag it into the woods to decompose because the town couldn't help as it's on private property. Something like that. I told him that wasn't an option given the neighborhood. He basically said to expect a bunch of coyotes last night (we had none) and that he'd leave a note with the animal control officer to call me today to see if they/the DPW could do anything. Nobody's called me yet.

I wonder if he'll fit in one of those big green landscaping barrels. What do you do, take him to the town dump? I think I may just drag him out into the street and call the DPW directly to take him away. That has to be the easiest option.

Do they really claim to own the deer in MA? I may give them a call and give them shit about that if so, but realistically they're not going to do shit and I just need this thing gone before it gets bloated and soupy

They regulate all the management of Fish and Wildlife in that dump. Take one out of season and see what happens. Upon conviction for taking wildlife unlawfully, you can actually be ordered to make restitution to the state. That is in statute. The only person that can claim that deer is the person who hit it. So yes, it is the state's deer.

Here in the Upstate region of SC, our HOA had the DNR do a deer survey and got permission to cull 80 deer. They hire professional hunters and they use suppressed rifles, and hunt at night using night vision..
They got 77 deer in 5 days in this years culling ( just finished it last week) - the meat gets processed and is donated to the local food banks. 1500 pounds thus year, 1900 pounds in last years cull.
This drives the tree-hugger residents absolutely insane.....Bambi. They have no understanding of science and managing the deer herd to be healthy. It's all emotion and crying about the evil hunters killing the poor deer and fawns.

Several years ago there was a deer that tried to jump an iron rail at that church in Harvard square. Didn't quite clear it and impaled itself right there near the T during morning commute. Cambridge PD came with the animal control officer and they put a bullet in it.

The next day, there were 17 unwashed residents wandering HS with clipboards getting signatures to ban fences in Cambridge. [rofl]

I dragged it to the street this morning and called the town, telling them there was a dead deer on the side of the road. They came by and scooped it up. He said it was all bruised on the side that had been on the ground so they figured it was hit by a car and came up here to die (prize goes to Mark from MA).

Back
Top Bottom