Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

So just dropped off the renewal to Fall River PD. There is a new detective performing the duties. She is pleasant and efficient. The department policy is no appointments. Walkins only accepted on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8am to Noon first come first serve. They only issue unrestricted. It took about 5 minutes and I was done. She made it clear 6 months was normal to get processed and receive in the mail while she handed me a signed MIRCS receipt explaining this would allow me to carry until the new license arrived but not purchase. Hey she got most of it correct. When I was first issued 6 years ago(after about a 6month wait) a pleasant email to the city council member responsible for public safety services got me a direct response from the PD and my license in hand a few days later. This department is notoriously understaffed. @Len-2A Training was point on with his counsel and continues to be to this day.

I just renewed in Arlington, MA. Carefully read the instructions on the PDF form I downloaded. Brought the filled out form to the police station on Feb 17, 2022. The form says to do that and then make an appointment for the interview. The nice records person said that all changed with COVID and did I have my check? I said I didn't but would bring it and the newly required proof of residency the next day, which I did.

I got the receipts in the mail about a week later, which was still before my expiration date so I was in good shape. They said it would be about 3 months. And so I waited...⏳

I noticed they cashed my check a couple weeks ago and I got the "no restrictions" license in the mail today! Total time from drop-off to license: 6 weeks! [banana]

Medfield, Green.
Brother applied in 2016. Requires a letter to CoP, but standard application otherwise. Took 4 months to receive LTC, no restrictions.

We really need to update the rating scale, calling a town green when they fail to meet the time limit and add extra requirements kind of makes them look "good" when they are still infringing on our rights. How about:
Red - , only issues restricted or not at all, extra requirements to apply and/or fails to meet deadline.
Red , only issues restricted or not at all.
Yellow - , will issue without restrictions but not consistently, additional requirements to apply and/or fails to meet deadline.
Yellow , will issue without restrictions but not consistently.
Green - , issues without restrictions always, additional requirements and/or fails to meet deadline.
Green , issues without restrictions, no additional requirements but fails to meet deadline.
Green + , issues without restrictions always, meets deadline

We really need to update the rating scale, calling a town green when they fail to meet the time limit and add extra requirements kind of makes them look "good" when they are still infringing on our rights. How about:
Red - , only issues restricted or not at all, extra requirements to apply and/or fails to meet deadline.
Yellow - , will issue without restrictions but not consistently, additional requirements to apply and/or fails to meet deadline.
Green - , issues without restrictions always, additional requirements and/or fails to meet deadline.
Green , issues without restrictions, no additional requirements but fails to meet deadline.
Meh, just pick more colors. Puce, mauve, taupe, and ecru.

Or maybe a letter grading system. Someone with more time on their hands could create a spreadsheet and % grading system. Kind of like school.
Ackchyually, one could do that systematically:
  1. Construct a list of attributes, and make them table columns.
    • Attributes are always "positive" - phrased so "yes" or a bigger number is "better".
  2. Sort the columns so left to right is from most important to least important.
    • Breaking ties between criteria is where subjectivity comes in.
  3. Fill in a table row for each town.
  4. Sort the rows so more valued towns precede lesser valued ones.
  5. Squint at the rows and see if they clump into similar groups; the groups become colors or grades.
Before clumping into colors you get a (sparse) version of this:
Inverted_Right_Triangle_Star_Pattern.png

Ackchyually, one could do that systematically:
  1. Construct a list of attributes, and make them table columns.
    • Attributes are always "positive" - phrased so "yes" or a bigger number is "better".
  2. Sort the columns so left to right is from most important to least important.
    • Breaking ties between criteria is where subjectivity comes in.
  3. Fill in a table row for each town.
  4. Sort the rows so more valued towns precede lesser valued ones.
  5. Squint at the rows and see if they clump into similar groups; the groups become colors or grades.
Before clumping into colors you get a (sparse) version of this:
Inverted_Right_Triangle_Star_Pattern.png
You've seen the Comm2A score cards, yes?

I agree in principle of having a more detailed system. I think the base red/yellow/green was always intended solely to convey red always restricted/yellow sometimes restricted/green never restricted. Though that is IMO more important than the others for people new to the intersection of MA and guns. Like Woburn and Medford are both redder than the devil's dick as far as restrictions but Woburn takes it a step further with the quiz or whatever they give you. Or like, different criteria would be difficult to agree on, like towns that are green with restrictions but that won't issue MG cards.

IMO assign each town a table of these, so red/yellow/green but for each category. Something like:

Town/CategoryRestrictionsMeets deadlineAdditional requirementsMG cards
Boston

🔴

🟡

🔴

🔴

Medford

🔴

🟢

🟢

🔴

I agree in principle of having a more detailed system. I think the base red/yellow/green was always intended solely to convey red always restricted/yellow sometimes restricted/green never restricted. Though that is IMO more important than the others for people new to the intersection of MA and guns. Like Woburn and Medford are both redder than the devil's dick as far as restrictions but Woburn takes it a step further with the quiz or whatever they give you. Or like, different criteria would be difficult to agree on, like towns that are green with restrictions but that won't issue MG cards.

IMO assign each town a table of these, so red/yellow/green but for each category. Something like:

Town/CategoryRestrictionsMeets deadlineAdditional requirementsMG cards
Boston

🔴

🟡

🔴

🔴

Medford

🔴

🟢

🟢

🔴

Even then, you'll want a column for restrict forever vs removes (after a year, on renewal)

At some point, we have to admit that the color code is only a quick reference. Additional comments are there to provide needed clarity.

Just confirming that Wrentham is still a very Green+ town.

I dropped off 2 packets for my wife and I (new applicants) in the early morning of May 3rd. On May 10th, I got a call from Lt. Robillard confirming he received my wife and I's packets and asked about what time/day would work for us to come in and do finger prints. We were able to get there that day before he left to do them. While getting fingerprints done the wife asks "When will we be doing the interview?" He responds with saying "This is it!" and approves us both for unrestricted LTC!

Lt. Robillard was awesome to deal with super nice and friendly as well as the other officers we met at the station. He is definitely a Pro-2A person so he made it simple. Only needed a $100 check with the Mass Firearms Safety Course certificate included with the packet and that's it! He told us it will take a bit for the card to come in which I pretty much knew it will. But he said I can call him if they don't show in 60 days.

Big [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]for the Wrentham PD!

Sam

Recently moved to Woburn and due for renewal. What's the interview like? Just got it scheduled. Was anyone able to get the restrictions removed upon renewal?

Recently moved to Woburn and due for renewal. What's the interview like? Just got it scheduled. Was anyone able to get the restrictions removed upon renewal?
Normally first time applicants get restricted and upon renewal, unrestricted but you may need to remind her.

Also, first time applicants need to take a multiple question test. Its easy, this is an example :

What is the best way to tell if a gun loaded?

A. Open action and look inside.
B. Point it at closest object and pull trigger
C. Who cares

Can the holder of an FID card own a hi cap rifle?

A only in the residence
B only when locked in safe
C No

I suggest when you fill out your application, email it to Maureen at the address on the website she will reply within a day.

My brother in Law lives in woburn and got his LTC restricted then unrestricted upon renewing. They are very firm on their policy “the chief will never give unrestricted on the first issuance”

My kids (15 and 17) both got FID cards (with my written permission) and she was great to deal with..

PS, Maureen takes her coffee, small regular. ☝️

Can the holder of an FID card own a hi cap rifle?

A only in the residence
B only when locked in safe
C No
D. That depends - do you mean "according to the law" or "according to testimony offered by the ADA in the First Federal Circuit district court?

[yeah, I know the ADA said handguns, but they require the same possession license as a hi-cap rifle]

Update from my initial reply a few posts back.

March 3rd - Dropped of the packets for my wife and I
March 10th - Finger prints/sort of interview
March 27th - We received a letter from the Wrentham Police Department with our physical Unrestricted Class A Large Capacity cards.

So pretty quick turn around. 17 days from doing finger prints to receiving our cards in the mail.

So to celebrate I upgraded my account![wave]

Now the fun of losing more money begins.[mg]

Update from my initial reply a few posts back.

March 3rd - Dropped of the packets for my wife and I
March 10th - Finger prints/sort of interview
March 27th - We received a letter from the Wrentham Police Department with our physical Unrestricted Class A Large Capacity cards.

So pretty quick turn around. 17 days from doing finger prints to receiving our cards in the mail.

So to celebrate I upgraded my account![wave]

Now the fun of losing more money begins.[mg]
I am not surprised. I used to work with the Wrentham Chief, he's one of the good guys.

D. That depends - do you mean "according to the law" or "according to testimony offered by the ADA in the First Federal Circuit district court?

[yeah, I know the ADA said handguns, but they require the same possession license as a hi-cap rifle]
According to "Firearms Identification Card (FID): Permits the purchase, possession, and transportation of non-large-capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition."

According to "Firearms Identification Card (FID): Permits the purchase, possession, and transportation of non-large-capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition."
This issue is it doe not permit the possession of a handgun in the home, despite the AGs claim in the first circuit court.

Last edited:
This issue is it doe not permit the possession of a handgun in the hope, despite the AGs claim in the first circuit court.
I never said it did. I was refering to large cap rifles and shotguns. The question on the test asked if an FID card would allow possession of such. IF the AG said it would allow such possession of a large cap rifle, shotgun or handgun then the AD was incorrect. At one time.. NOT now, an FID card would allow possession of a handgun only with the residence, but that was before the Class A , Class B, FID and Chemical only FID. I think that was all changed in Oct 1998 when all the "Lifetime" FID cards expired.

Dedham is Green.. a little on the slow side but green. LO renewed my LTC that had expired 11 years prior from another town, First was unrestricted and renewed the same. No interview, fingerprints already on file, Used my drivers lic picture, Mailed in my application as instructed, got LTC in mail.

2 other applicants.. I know of

1 new application.. unrestricted in mail after interview and fingerprints, No Criminal History, Driver lic photo used for LTC.
2 new application.. Hunting and Target in mail after interview and fingerprints, Criminal History of Threatening someone and Possession of Class A, Both charges were Contrinued without a finding

Melrose is still green!

Turned in renewal application around April 8th (I did so in person, they are okay with mail-ins and will use your RMV photo if you're cool with that).

Check was cashed around April 20th.

Letter containing unrestricted LTC was processed by the post office a few days ago.

Roughly a 50 day turnaround time, not as fast as some towns apparently, but Medford took like 3 months (long before Covid so no excuse) and was of the AIDSly (restricted) persuasion.

The "issue date" is of course coincident with my current license's expiration date (aka my birthday which is in several months).

I will see about calling Medford once we have a decision in NYSRPA 2. Worst case can carry in a few months, maybe Christmas will come early though.

Sounds like Dedham is a reasonable town, those same charges will get you denied in Wakefield and in Malden; even if the charges were dismissed and happened 10 years ago!
Dedham is Green.. a little on the slow side but green. LO renewed my LTC that had expired 11 years prior from another town, First was unrestricted and renewed the same. No interview, fingerprints already on file, Used my drivers lic picture, Mailed in my application as instructed, got LTC in mail.

2 other applicants.. I know of

1 new application.. unrestricted in mail after interview and fingerprints, No Criminal History, Driver lic photo used for LTC.
2 new application.. Hunting and Target in mail after interview and fingerprints, Criminal History of Threatening someone and Possession of Class A, Both charges were Contrinued without a finding

Back
Top Bottom