• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

Town: Hanson

~3 Weeks from mailing in my application to fingerprinting. (Mailed a few weeks before Christmas).
Almost exactly 30 Days from fingerprinting to the license showing up in my mailbox.
Issued Unrestricted for "All Lawful Purposes."

Overall, I think the process was just about as painless as could be. The only thing I wish I had done differently was not procrastinate applying for so long!

When I left Plainville in 2021 it seemed to be green for renewals with no special requirements requested and has always been easy to schedule the app drop off/photo. Took about 3-4 days of phone tag to get an appointment then the renewal got hung up at the FRB, can’t blame the town for that.

I wrote “all lawful purposes” on the app and proactively attached a simple letter stating I want to be free from restrictions/ infringements. No idea if I needed it but I figure I’d cut down one back and forth if they started asking questions.

They may still be red up front though.
Has anyone got a new LTC from them recently? They may still issue restricted first time.

Attleboro -

Submitted paperwork 3/30/2021
Called and fingerprinted today 1/31/2022
Estimated 4-6 week turnaround by the LO.

The LO is very nice but 307 days to get fingerprints is a long time.
Just called the FRB today 2/14/22. My license was approved, just waiting on the FRB for printing!

Just called the FRB today 2/14/22. My license was approved, just waiting on the FRB for printing!
@Len-2A Training: Who does the printing?

On the one hand, I'd expect it to be more efficient and safer for a secure document like an LTC
to be printed and laminated at a central location.

On the other hand, I could swear I once read some NES sob story
where the local PD was the agency to print the LTC,
and the PD was BSing an applicant about slow processing by blaming the FRB
after the FRB had unequivocally told the poster
that absolutely all of the remaining steps were the PD's responsibility.

On the one hand, I'd expect it to be more efficient and safer for a secure document like an LTC

Printing the IDs has been strictly a FRB function ever since the 1998 law went into effect and we got credit-card sized LTCs/FIDs/MG licenses.

FRB prints them, then Mails them to your PD in batches (apparently). PD has to activate them and then Mail/hand them to the applicant.

Printing the IDs has been strictly a FRB function ever since the 1998 law went into effect and we got credit-card sized LTCs/FIDs/MG licenses.

FRB prints them, then Mails them to your PD in batches (apparently). PD has to activate them and then Mail/hand them to the applicant.

IIRC the plastic cards happened much later after 1998, that was more like 2005? or so. Everyone before then had the "horseblanket" and I think those were put together by the PD with a laminating machine.

IIRC the plastic cards happened much later after 1998, that was more like 2005? or so. Everyone before then had the "horseblanket" and I think those were put together by the PD with a laminating machine.
Some may have done that but my PD didn't own a laminator and sent them to MSP for lamination back in the day. I don't really recall what year they went to plastic.

Some may have done that but my PD didn't own a laminator and sent them to MSP for lamination back in the day. I don't really recall what year they went to plastic.

Actually from what I remember some of the PDs still had horseblankets even well after the switchover, because they actually didnt have internet access at the PD and couldnt
use MIRCS to start the licensing process; so they had to send the manually typed shit to EOPS. Maybe EOPS actually put the licenses together and sent them back to the PD?

Printing the IDs has been strictly a FRB function ever since the 1998 law went into effect and we got credit-card sized LTCs/FIDs/MG licenses. FRB prints them, then Mails them to your PD in batches (apparently). PD has to activate them and then Mail/hand them to the applicant.
... like 2005? or so. ... before then ... I think those were put together by the PD with a laminating machine.
Thanks guys; I didn't realize there was nuance.

What I remembered reading seemed implausible, but we are talking Mass...

There was a period of time after plastic cards were introduced that non-citizens still got horseblankets since it took the state a bit of time go get their database and supporting software updated to include country of citizenship and (I think) naturalization number. Once the state lost Fletcher v. Haas, the FRB was quite professional in implementing LTC licensing for legal resident aliens. Who knows, there may now be a MA resident with both types of green cards.

I don't recall anyone saying the PDs did the printing but yes the local PD will often sit on them without any real reason. It's the primary reason some departments are consistently fast after everything is submitted and others are consistently slow. They all run through the same state system and are all submitted to the state through the same electronic system.

I don't recall anyone saying the PDs did the printing but yes the local PD will often sit on them without any real reason.
I will claim (with no ability to cite the actual post)
that the PD in question was allegedly sitting on the LTCs
because they chose to print/laminate them in batches,
and in the meantime just blame the state...

(Which I'll underscore is not how we are told any of this works nowadays.
But back then...who knows?)

Must have been a while back, they don't laminate LTCs any more, but maybe back then.

Final update for Attleboro -

Called and fingerprinted 1/31/2022
License approved per FRB 2/14/22
Picked up from Police station today 3/4/22

307 days from application sent in to fingerprinting.

32 days from fingerprinting to license in hand. LTC-A No restrictions. I would call it green but backed up.

Off to The Mill tomorrow!

Last edited:

32 days from fingerprinting to license in hand. LTC-A No restrictions. I would call it green but backed up.

307 days :eek: is that because of you or them?

Wow! Only 267 days longer than the law allows ("The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing;”)

And just a note about going to the Mill. Just take what you intend to spend in cash and leave all credit/debit cards at home. Going to the Mill for the first time with your new LTC is like letting an 8 year old loose in a candy store.

[party]

Wrentham

Renewal app mailed: 1/5/22
Renewal LTC received by mail: 3/8/22

I received a phone call immediately that I forgot to enclose a check for the app fee and dropped that off in-person. I called once to check on it at about four weeks and was told it was sent out for printing. No interview or anything, even though I had moved into the town and was originally licensed elsewhere. It was mailed rather than making me come pick it up. Definitely a "green" experience for me on renewal.

Last time I looked, 07FFLs were running 5-6 weeks. I once saw 4 weeks. But that's been a while ago. Any more recent input? Jack.
07 FFL 3 months from application (August 2020 application, 2 months before interview)
MA dealers licenses 3 months from application (1 month before I got the call to come in for pictures and prints, 2 months to process and receive cards)

Last edited:

Called and fingerprinted 1/31/2022

any idea if they still pull the "under 25 years old gets a restricted LTC" nonsense? They told me that when I first applied for my first LTC, and I said "well, good thing I turned 25 last week"

Back
Top Bottom