• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

so let me ask the NES brain trust this:
if they do not call the references or read the letters of recomendation and deny you on suitability; is'nt that arbitrary, capricious, and an abuse of discretion??

so let me ask the NES brain trust this:
if they do not call the references or read the letters of recomendation and deny you on suitability; is'nt that arbitrary, capricious, and an abuse of discretion??

Of course.

That's why they're not allowed to do that anymore.

Every denial now has to be statutory, not discretionary.

FWIW renewal in Fall River submitted March 24th, call today for status State says it is in the PD hands and I should see it directly. I did a verification and it came back call PD.
Person on the status HOT LINE has a very thick Asian accent and is very difficult to understand.

Four months is much faster than the initial issuance which took 6 months and intervention of City Councilwoman.

FWIW renewal in Fall River submitted March 24th, call today for status State says it is in the PD hands and I should see it directly. I did a verification and it came back call PD.
Person on the status HOT LINE has a very thick Asian accent and is very difficult to understand.

Four months is much faster than the initial issuance which took 6 months and intervention of City Councilwoman.
Contact PD is normal with an expired LTC, It wont show your renewal that way, you don’t know your new LTC number and PIN, You get a new number and PIN.

A coworker called the FRB and he couldn’t hear anything she said and thought she may have been saying “hunter license” (maybe handgun license?)

Contact PD is normal with an expired LTC, It wont show your renewal that way, you don’t know your new LTC number and PIN, You get a new number and PIN.

A coworker called the FRB and he couldn’t hear anything she said and thought she may have been saying “hunter license” (maybe handgun license?)
I ran a license validation a few days before and it came back valid for my old license. It was still valid because it was in Mircs. Then a few days later I ran it again and it came back call PD. I then called the status line and was told it had just been sent back to PD. They have to activate it and then mail it to me. @Len-2A Training has posted the entire process and it is likely in his forum.

I ran a license validation a few days before and it came back valid for my old license. It was still valid because it was in Mircs. Then a few days later I ran it again and it came back call PD. I then called the status line and was told it had just been sent back to PD. They have to activate it and then mail it to me. @Len-2A Training has posted the entire process and it is likely in his forum.
Actually it is in my training sub-forum and locked so no extraneous garbage clutters the real info.

LTC renewal in hand unrestricted.
Date of application 3/27/2022
Date of Issue 07/25/2022
They tried they succeeded.
No call to city council required.
It crossed my 70th B'day so it was free (but I did have to remind them and it took a "call upstairs" to confirm.
@Len-2A Training has been instrumental
providing support and training since before
my initial application 6 years ago.
If you haven't yet attended his Mass Gun Law for Non-Lawyers Seminar
you are really missing a lot of very helpful, practical, substantiated knowledge
of a nearly unintelligible poorly written legislative and bureaucratic infringement of an enumerated constitutional right.
Len can't thank you enough for putting me back into a hobby believed to have been lost upon my arrival into the Commonwealth.

LTC renewal in hand unrestricted.
Date of application 3/27/2022
Date of Issue 07/25/2022
They tried they succeeded.
No call to city council required.
It crossed my 70th B'day so it was free (but I did have to remind them and it took a "call upstairs" to confirm.
@Len-2A Training has been instrumental
providing support and training since before
my initial application 6 years ago.
If you haven't yet attended his Mass Gun Law for Non-Lawyers Seminar
you are really missing a lot of very helpful, practical, substantiated knowledge
of a nearly unintelligible poorly written legislative and bureaucratic infringement of an enumerated constitutional right.
Len can't thank you enough for putting me back into a hobby believed to have been lost upon my arrival into the Commonwealth.
Thanks and glad to have helped.

Any inclined to learn about the MA laws can check out my Mass Gun Law Seminar by and for Non-Lawyers (although I have allowed a few to attend) here: 2A Training

I'm only running training on demand now, not scheduling classes unless someone requests them this Summer/Fall.

MA resident for application purposes on account of owning a MA business.

7/27 took class
7/28 submitted application to Auburn PD
7/29 got phone call from Auburn to set up appointment for prints on 8/1

Will keep updated on progress.
Update:
The 8/1 appointment was cancelled due to some confusion as to who was the issuing authority in my case (CT resident but MA business owner). Appointment is now scheduled for 8/10 with Auburn being the issuing authority.

Update:
The 8/1 appointment was cancelled due to some confusion as to who was the issuing authority in my case (CT resident but MA business owner). Appointment is now scheduled for 8/10 with Auburn being the issuing authority.
So you had to read them MGL? I hope that you did it very slowly so that they might stand a chance on comprehending it. :mad:

So you had to read them MGL? I hope that you did it very slowly so that they might stand a chance on comprehending it. :mad:
While my situation is not unique, it is uncommon. They reasonably quickly sorted out the issue and are moving forward. I am not going to give them too much pooh about it.

While my situation is not unique, it is uncommon. They reasonably quickly sorted out the issue and are moving forward. I am not going to give them too much pooh about it.
Still, the ignorance is pathetic and the same at almost all PDs. Those chartered with handling LTCs are clueless about how to go about their duties.

Happy tuesday all. My friend just renewed in Boston. His prior license was restricted. He submitted 30 days ago and called FRB in Chelsea yesterday and they said it is approved and should be coming in two weeks. When he asked about restrictions the lady said “uhh you will find out about restrictions when you receive it”. Any insight to this? Do we have any recent renewals from Boston in here?

Happy tuesday all. My friend just renewed in Boston. His prior license was restricted. He submitted 30 days ago and called FRB in Chelsea yesterday and they said it is approved and should be coming in two weeks. When he asked about restrictions the lady said “uhh you will find out about restrictions when you receive it”. Any insight to this? Do we have any recent renewals from Boston in here?

As said above, FRB is no longer printing restricted licenses, so if you get a license it will be unrestricted.

I think there was some guidance that restricted licenses are now to be treated as unrestricted, but please confirm that before trying to do so, as I’m not 100% positive about that.

If you know anyone with a restricted license they should be able to get a new one printed if they contact their local licensing authority. A few towns were resisting that, but I think they caved after lawyers got involved.

As said above, FRB is no longer printing restricted licenses, so if you get a license it will be unrestricted.

I think there was some guidance that restricted licenses are now to be treated as unrestricted, but please confirm that before trying to do so, as I’m not 100% positive about that.

If you know anyone with a restricted license they should be able to get a new one printed if they contact their local licensing authority. A few towns were resisting that, but I think they caved after lawyers got involved.

My only concern is this document from mass.gov. It states guidance that the only issue affected by the Breuen decision is good cause. It still says departments can issue restrictions (section labeled “third”)

My only concern is this document from mass.gov. It states guidance that the only issue affected by the Breuen decision is good cause. It still says departments can issue restrictions (section labeled “third”)

That document predates many of the updated comments and decisions, including the statement from the FRB that they would no longer print restricted licenses.

The document cites and quotes some older “stuff” but then states: ”Going forward, if an applicant is not a prohibited person and is not unsuitable, the applicant must be issued an unrestricted license to carry.”

So in reality document states that restrictions cannot be imposed.

Back
Top Bottom