• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

Newton MA

Feb 9, 2023 - dropped off paperwork for first time LTC, fingerprinted and no letters required
Feb ~15, 2023 - detective interview
Mar 13, 2023 - LTC issued and at PD
They all run through the exact same State process. Remember that when the local officer smiles at you and says the delay is because of the state. They smile and lie.

@ColdComfort congratulations, you got lucky. Now move to NH where freedom doesn't require a permission slip.

Worcester PD just told a friend that applied for a gun license - he sent the paperwork in January/February and was given an appointment now, March - to call back in July.

@Comm2A FYI

JULY!

Last edited:
Restrictions no longer exist, so you need to revisit "pretty sure".
Nice, I know they ixnay’d the restrictions stuff but didn’t know if it actually carried through here. Lol. I was just reporting on what I saw when I went to renew a couple years ago. They were still pulling the same shit.

Glad to see they’re not continuing with infringements

Framingham appears to use a standard state form for renewals. The form says "List the name and addresses of two references (as required by your licensing authority)" - how the F do I know if Framingham requires them or not? Or is it safer to just fill that out and not worry about them rejecting it?

Framingham appears to use a standard state form for renewals. The form says "List the name and addresses of two references (as required by your licensing authority)" - how the F do I know if Framingham requires them or not? Or is it safer to just fill that out and not worry about them rejecting it?
The law doesn't require it and you're renewing. I'd leave it blank (and intend to when I renew in Cambridge next year) with names in mind if they ask why it's blank.

Holden is green. Even know people in town with class III.
Change this.

Holden is flaming, glow in the dark, green.

Administratively, it's horrible. Applicants have to book an in-person meeting online. The PD will not accept paper applications unless it's during your in-person meeting, so it's not possible to get an extension by handing in your paperwork, and getting a receipt.

The PD only posts a handful of appts online, two months out, max. These appts are snapped up with in seconds of posting. The posting happens at totally random times, and not particularly frequently.

It took me 2 months to get an appt, and I had to contact a friend in the department via email to get a heads up on when they were going to post appts.
Once you get the appt, it's easy sailing.

This system has been in place for 10 years or more. No idea why any of this is allowed to occur.

By not calling references???
As a comparison, I applied for a non-resident, LTC in Pennsylvania. Filled out the app online. Took 15 minutes. An hour later, PA approved my LTC. Drove down, and was in and out of the office in 10 minutes, carrying my LTC with me.

RI? Applied in September. Approved, but no card yet.

Mass? PD suggests maybe 8-12 weeks.

Lowell:
Called to renew early/mid January
Given appointment mid February, submitted renewal application. Was told "will take around 3 months". (a.k.a. 90 days, which is greater than 40 days)
License received (and envelope postmarked) mid-June.
Date of issue on card is early May.

~80 days from application to "issuance"
Additional ~40 days to receive in the mail.
~120 days total
~90 days in limbo with expired license card (I didn't try, but would expect difficulty buying firearms or ammo)

I'm sure they would blame the cyber attack, however much of that delay was well before it was discovered.

i think we are all good? just watched guns &gadgets if that bill passes, time to move out of this state. good luck
he wouldn't be my first choice for information. early on I noticed a number of mistakes, I'd ask about them in the comments, they'd sit for 2-3 days then poof, they disappear. I guess that way he's always right

he wouldn't be my first choice for information. early on I noticed a number of mistakes, I'd ask about them in the comments, they'd sit for 2-3 days then poof, they disappear. I guess that way he's always right
these were facts can not believe nobody is talking about this bill

these were facts can not believe nobody is talking about this bill
ya the media is strangely quiet.

Oh, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. Not saying he's always off, just often enough and the way he dealt with the question, and his often hype of insignificant things, put me off. It's what happens when you scream major victory or major defeat when it's just some insignificant temp stay. People stop listening.

Was just told by my PD that the state is taking 4-5 months to process renewals due to high volume. Not sure I buy that but just FYI.

MY WIFE AND I ARE MOVING BACK TO COMMIEMASS. WE WILL LIVE WITH OUR KIDS IN REHOBETH,IS THIS GOOD OR BAD? YES I WILL BE BRING A FEW GUNS WITH ME. WHERE TO SHOOT NEARBY ??

MY WIFE AND I ARE MOVING BACK TO COMMIEMASS. WE WILL LIVE WITH OUR KIDS IN REHOBETH,IS THIS GOOD OR BAD? YES I WILL BE BRING A FEW GUNS WITH ME. WHERE TO SHOOT NEARBY ??
Kids licensed? If not, make sure they don’t have access to your guns. Lock things up, get your LTC, etc.

Back
Top Bottom