How do I explain to a friend why you'd need an assault rifle?

This friend seems to be pro gun, just got her concealed carry permit in NH. Her brother works for Sig. We got to talking about the AWB, and she said "Why does anyone need something like that? Nobody should have one like that." I said it's fun to shoot. She said "You don't need that for protection! Get a fifty for that." I don't know what that means.
Can you give me some reasons to explain why people should have guns like that?
While we're at it, can you give me good comebacks to the people on Facebook who keep saying that people don't need guns, that's what cops are for?
Thanks!

Training for the next revolution.

I need an assault rifle to assault the person who plans on assaulting my family.

Natural deterrent.

It's a hobby.

Criminals will always have access to assault weapons, why not law abiding citizens.

It's an investment. Firearms almost always appreciate in value.

I'm not sure how much I can actually cover but I'm sure others will storm right in and offer other help. Owning an AR is our Constitutional Right. A decent comeback would be why should everyone be allowed to speak their mind? Some people are just straight dumb and shouldn't be allowed to speak another word but it's their Constitutional Right just as is choosing what god to pray to. Cops don't travel nearly as fast as bullets, and they do often take longer than a few minutes to get to the scene. Those initial seconds are the most crucial and a gun-owner could be the only one who can take the matter into his/her hands right then and there.

You should never attempt to answer the question of why you '"need" a particular firearm. "Need, " in this context, is a philosophical question.

You can answer why you "want" one. Some valid reasons: light, accurate, ammo readily available.

If your debate partner is willing to accept the "need" for self-defense in the home (or other fixed location), then an M-4 type AR falls into a category that includes such things as Ruger Mini-14, .30 US M1 Carbine and (if we expand the class just a hair), 12-ga riot gun or .30-30 (or .45-70) lever-action. M4 has some advantages over each.

Training for the next revolution.

I need an assault rifle to assault the person who plans on assaulting my family.

Natural deterrent.

It's a hobby.

Criminals will always have access to assault weapons, why not law abiding citizens.

It's an investment. Firearms almost always appreciate in value.

A civilian AR-15 is not an "assault rifle." The term "assault weapon" has no tactical validity.

Why do we need assault rifles?

Very easy question to answer...

zombie-horde.jpg

While we're at it, can you give me good comebacks to the people on Facebook who keep saying that people don't need guns, that's what cops are for?
Thanks!

When someone is in cardiac arrest wouldn't you want someone nearby to perform CPR instead of waiting for EMS to arrive?

Or should we just say that CPR is only to be done by trained EMS professionals on the job.

simple, why does someone NEED to believe in the god of their choice, Why does someone NEED to have a car that does 200 mph, why does one NEED to have the right to their opinion, why does someone NEED a 5000 or 10000 sq ft house, WE NEED THESE THINGS BECAUSE THATS WHAT MAKES US THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA These freedoms are what give US the power over OUR goverment. YES, all of these freedoms were supposed to give US, the PEOPLE ( i.e. not the elected official ) the power over our future, lives family, religion, and beliefs. drb

Oooohhhh.

I'll take a stab.

First of all, it's not about need. It's about want. In all cases my right to keep and bear arms is independent of any particular need. In fact, only Boston has the unmitigated audacity to proscribe such horse pucky.

Second, They are incredibly fun to shoot. Like momma said, don't knock it till you try it. If, after shooting one with you, she still has any questions, then we'll take it up at that point in time.

Finally, to the dolts who say, "only police need guns," or any of that silliness.

Ask them if the cops are always around?

Ask them how long they think it will take for the police to arrive.

Ask them why they think the police are going to come, on time, when they call, when the Law Enforcement community, through Supreme Courts, has said numerous times that they have, "No affirmative duty," to respond to or protect any one citizen at all.

Ask them how much damage an assailant could do to them in 5 minutes? Ask them what the chances are that the police could get to them within 5 minutes?

Ask them if it would matter if the police showed up at all after 6 minutes.

If she still looks at you blankly say. "let me get this straight. You are going to trust your safety to a very small, understaffed, often under-equipped group of citizens wearing blue shirts and gold stars who:

1. Have clearly expressed that they have no responsibility for your safety
2. Are unlikely to be handy when you need them even if they wanted to help
3. Have no charter, goal or intention, of being a protective force but for the aggregate.

No there job is to solve crimes and catch criminals. Ask any police officer; See what they say.

Q: Why do you need?

A: "Why shouldn't I have one? I enjoy shooting, they're accurate, fun etc. Why does anyone need 90% of the consumer goods we buy? I don't need a reason"

Q: But they're dangerous! They can kill people/me/my family etc. You don't need it!

A: Sports cars are dangerous, they're not needed & are more likely to kill people/you/your family but no one objects to them.

Q; But sports cars aren't designed to kill people!

A: True, but they are designed to race but everyone that has a sports car doesn't race just like everyone that owns an AR doesn't have to kill people.

Q: They scare me

A: You don't need to be afraid of me and the gun can't do anything w.o. me.

Q: That's what we have police for

A: How long do you think it will take the police to respond to a call for help. How long do you think it will take for a bad guy to rape/assault/kill you?

Q: Statistics show you're more likely to use a gun on a family member then to defend yourself

A: Good, then you're perfectly safe because I have no intention of shooting my friends or family.

Q: what if they take the gun away from you and use it against you

A: Then I'm screwed but I'm at least going to try. Are you suggesting I don't try to fight back or protect myself if I'm assaulted.

Q: But you don't need a gun for that

A: Really? Have you seen me fight? Believe me, I need a gun.

Knock 'em dead Beka!!!!!

You do not need to explain why you exercise a Constitutional Right.

DO you explain to this person why you exercise your 1st Amendment right?

Or hey this is a good one how about your 5th Amendment right, ask her if she would relinquish that one why does she need that one?

This friend seems to be pro gun, just got her concealed carry permit in NH. Her brother works for Sig. We got to talking about the AWB, and she said "Why does anyone need something like that? Nobody should have one like that." I said it's fun to shoot. She said "You don't need that for protection! Get a fifty for that." I don't know what that means.
Can you give me some reasons to explain why people should have guns like that?
Thanks!

Not to be rude or anything but a movie line comes to mind.

Bear with me here and try to remember in MIB where the Bug in the Edgar suit is in the panel van trying to get the container of diamonds open.

He says you _ _ _ _ _ Where is it.

Maybe a primer on firearms terms would help.

An Assault Rifle is a Select fire rifle aka A Machine Gun.

Maybe you meant the media term Assault Weapon ?

Because machine guns are prohibitavely expensive.

You don't need an assault rifle (whatever that name might imply).

You "need" the freedom to be able to buy any sort of firearm you wish. Free men and women can do this. Subjects and slaves cannot.

That is the diifference.

Responses:
1. (If it hasn't been said)- "what's an assault rifle?"
2. Why do you vote?
3. Do you know before hand that you only need 10 bullets fired at a cyclic rate achievable by a semi-auto if the SHTF? I sure don't

I'm thinking anything short of a couple of CMAGs and a brass press is underprepared[laugh]
4. The AR is a nice "all-around" weapon. Effective, reliable, usually lots of parts around, what's not to like?
5. Does a bayonet lug and adjustable stock really have any influence whatsoever on the lethality of the weapon? At close proximity, a shot-gun is arguably more lethal and less regulated.
6. How many mounted bayonet killings have you heard of in the civilian world?
7. Where are the stats on the dangers of collapsable stocks (or magazine size for that matter)?
8. What stats we do have show that banning them results in much more crime
9. There are no "hunting rights" enumerated in the constitution unless you define tyrant politicians as "game".
10. Because they don't want me to - that's exactly why the founders put it in. They knew that future governments wouldn't want you to...

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm friends with a few cops. I've heard a few stories of scenes that they've arrived at after a woman has been raped, after someone has been murdered, after someone has been stabbed or maimed in some other way.

If they can tell you what is an "Assault Rifle" and how it differs from a "Hunting Rifle" then you would be more likely to entertain their questions.

Millions of people own guns.

The Ar15 is now the most popular rifle in America.

It's America's rifle. It's very common. She is out of touch.

When faced with the logic already presented you always hear about the "odds".

What are the odds you'll be overthrowing the gov?
What are the odds you'll be invaded at home?

Who gives a shit what the odds are? I'll concede they are small, but they do exist. As a thoughtful and responsible citizen, I can choose to do something about that.

The bill of rights is not a bill of needs or a flow chart of what ifs.

Trust me, you CAN'T explain it.

Offer to take them to the range and let them shoot it. Then, they will understand.

At Women on target and other shoots, it's the AR that you can't pry out of the hands of the people. There is a reason the Military like the design. Has nothing to do with the lethality of the gun, but all the other things that make it easier for a soldier to hit their target. Those same features make it a more enjoyable gun for recreation as well.

Who gives a shit what the odds are?
Indeed, you can apply the same flawed thinking to many forms of insurance people carry...

The cost of being "the unlucky one" is so catastrophic, that it outweighs and cost of "being prepared"...

The reality of danger is that:
1. I can tell you first hand that you won't be able to know when you walk out of the house that morning whether or not you will be mugged, assaulted or murdered in a random act of violence... The sky looks just as blue or gray on those days too...

2. In many cases, people are attacked in places they and thousands of others walk/drive through all the time without incident

3. The Police cannot protect "you". They can only protect "the community". By the time "you" need protecting, its too late - you are a statistic that will be used for future deterrent...

Not for nothing, but why do you feel the need to justify it to her?

If someone asks me why I need an AR, or an AK, or whatever, I tell them to screw.

When they buy my guns for me, they can choose which ones I have.

Thanks!

Cops draw chalk outlines around idiots who believe government will arrive in time to save their lives.

Guns are for people smart enough to want to survive.

This was posed to me at the Springfield by a hunter who stated that if you guys would just give up on those guns you don't need, the hunters would be left alone. Being a hunter I wasn't very happy with that statement. The following is an outline of my response:

Me: Don't ever allow the government to establish law or policies based on what you supposedly "need". For instance, why do you need a gun?

Him: Because I hunt.

Me: Why do you need to hunt?

Him: I hunt for food.

Me: Well there are plenty of grocery stores around so you really don't need to hunt.

Him: But I prefer healthier game meat without all of the chemicals in it like what you find in a store.

Me: OK, so this is what the government is going to tell you. - We can solve this problem for you. We will develop a program so you can turn in your gun for a special card that will allow you to get free food at the market that is organic and free of chemicals. So we've (government) have solved your problem. You don't need a gun since you will no longer need to hunt and since we're paying for your food, you won't need to eat meat and you'll get free organic soy based food free from the government.

Him: They can't do that I have the right to hunt!

Me: Oh, so now we're talking about rights, not needs. Interesting how I helped you come full circle on the subject of need vs. rights when it affected you.

Him: Never thought of it that way, thanks.

Why do you need a gun?

Him: Because I hunt.
No argument with the logic and I understand bringing it back to rights, but a lot of damage has been done to gun rights via the "hunting" red-herring... [sad2]

Logic that requires more than one step seems to much for most people these days [sad2]

Use small words and not very many of them [wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom