How do I explain to a friend why you'd need an assault rifle?

Damn fudds are the reason why we are in this long battle... [angry]

Sorry there Derek but what exactly do you mean by "fudd"?

I'm a hunter and a shooter - have been since I was 7 years old. I've seen the importance of A2 since grade school.

Did I need a bolt action? - no, I don't hunt deer/big game at 7
Did I need an AR at 7? - No, I did not have access to CMP
Did I need a .22 LR - Yes, despite what my parents said :( Yeah, NRA wouldn't take me serious then either...
Did I need a pistol - see above.

Did I see rights to own all of those things? Yes - unlike now

Even Zumbo apologized for his ignorance.

So what exactly is a "Fudd"? And if someone uses a firearm for recreational/sporting purposes, I consider them an ally - not an enemy.

Now I'll go back to reading the rest of this thread

I work in Cambridge, and make no effort to hide the fact I love shooting and am proud of my AR-15...

I've been told I'm ridicules to have a gun at all, many times... but a few people who are open to shooting, even show interest in coming with me, with me still ask "why an assault rifle?"

The quickest and most snide reply I've come up with is "Shooting one is the most fun you can have with your pants on."

People collect coins, baseball cards, antiques, and many other useless objects. My rifle offers far more uses than any of those. People like to jump out of planes, throw darts, go bowling, play golf. My hobby is far more likely to be useful some day than any of those.

I always tell my wife -

When the zombies come, they aint gonna shoot themselves!

My Father is a Republican. He's pro-second amendment, but only in the way that an asleep at the wheel Fox News Republican can be. One day I was bitching to him about the assault weapons ban, and my then new AR that I had just built, and he was unusually quiet. When I was done, he just shook his head and asked me "I don't see why you need a gun like that. What, are you going to war?"

It took some time, but over the course of a few visits I explained to him what the Second Amendment actually means, why it exists, how the American Revolution started, blah blah blah.... I basically stroked his 'Patriot button'. In the end, I summed it up with "I don't need to explain to you why I 'need' this gun, but if you can, please explain to me why you want to take it away from me. What would that accomplish? Who would you save? What crime would you prevent?" He couldn't answer that because he knows me, knows that I would never shoot up a school or whatever the popular thing to do with 'assault weapons' is these days. He knew that in my hands that gun was no more dangerous to anyone than a butter knife.

They need to see that blanket restrictions do nothing to stop the bad people from doing bad things, and only prohibit the good people from doing what they want.

This friend seems to be pro gun, just got her concealed carry permit in NH. Her brother works for Sig. We got to talking about the AWB, and she said "Why does anyone need something like that? Nobody should have one like that." I said it's fun to shoot. She said "You don't need that for protection! Get a fifty for that." I don't know what that means.
Can you give me some reasons to explain why people should have guns like that?
While we're at it, can you give me good comebacks to the people on Facebook who keep saying that people don't need guns, that's what cops are for?
Thanks!

PM sent.

You can not explain it to her. Just take her to the range with a coupld of 30 round mags, and have her let loose! Afterwards, ask her why there is a big grin on her face.

grin, trying to convince my wife to join the club. As it stands now, can bring her in, but I cannot shoot while she does. I understand. Safety issue. You are "responsible" for your "guest".

Been training her on a .22 and she is doing great. However, she wants more and more shooting time, and that means less and less for me....because I have to "watch" her. Again, no problem....abide by the rules.

Grin, think I'm going to have to tell my love to either join the club, and qualify, so we can shoot together, or I'm going to have to make trips by myself so I can do what I want to do, and spend the time doing it.

Guess its going to be an interesting conversation. [wink]

I'm a hunter and a shooter - have been since I was 7 years old. I've seen the importance of A2 since grade school.

Did I need a .22 LR - Yes, despite what my parents said :( Yeah, NRA wouldn't take me serious then either...

So what exactly is a "Fudd"? And if someone uses a firearm for recreational/sporting purposes, I consider them an ally - not an enemy.

A Fudd thinks the ONLY reason for owning firearms is for hunting and some sports. If it can't be used for those, it doesn't need to be owned.

if i could afford a assault rifle, i doubt i would still buy one.

$15,000 is a little to much for a rifle.

whenever people say to me that assault weapons should be banned, i always say, they already were, when the stupid MG law in 86 was passed. that usually confuses the person who thinks they are saving the world by supporting the new AWB. often times, people have absolutely no idea what makes a rifle a assault rifle.

You take exception to my comment because you hunt??? [thinking]

I am a member of Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever. I grew up hunting and I still actively hunt today. I know exactly what I am talking about when I say fudd. I grew up in Minnesota. I've hunted in MN, WI, MI, ND, and SD. They are riddled with Fudds.

Fudd is a hunter that thinks if you don't use a gun for hunting you don't need it. A fudd is someone who owns guns and doesn't support the 2nd amendment. THE FUDDS OUT NUMBER US AND ARE EXACTLY THE REASON WHY US GUN OWNERS ARE WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW.

Do you understand what a Fudd is now?

Wow. Thanks for all of the responses.
I do not yet own any gun, so it's hard for me to try to explain why I need a gun I do not own (not that I feel like I must explain, I'd just like to have an answer ready in case I want to explain).
When people find out that I just got my license and I'm researching my first gun purchase, I get the same type of questions that my friend asked me today. So it'll be nice to use some of your responses when I get asked that next time.
Thanks again, everyone.

A Fudd thinks the ONLY reason for owning firearms is for hunting and some sports. If it can't be used for those, it doesn't need to be owned.

Hunting and target sports of any kind have absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment and ownership. Can anyone show me where "hunting" and "marksmanship" is specifically mentioned?

The 2nd Amendment, IMHO, has one reason and one purpose...only. It is the right of the individual to arm and protect themselves....against all....and that includes the government. It is a defensive, self-protective Amendment, not a means of aggression or attack. Self defense and Self Protection. It has been prostituted by our politicians and courts.

Scenario: Perps break down my front door. I have a Medieval sword on my wall. Grab the sword and defend myself....assuming I am not killed by gunshots. Would I also be subject to "excessive force" questions? Would I be told that my sword doesn't meet a "norm", and perhaps I should have retreated? Care to think of other, similar, scenarios? Would you give a second thought to current laws if your home was invaded.

If you would, and if you hesitate....God help you. No one else will. [wink]

Sorry, that's not the way I see, Fudds are a HUGE problem in my book.

Fudds are worse than anti-gunners. In fact, they add fuel to classic liberal line, "I'm not against hunting, I just don't want machine guns on the streets." The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting, it's about the basic right to defend yourself. Anyone who thinks that guns are just for hunting or target shooting is a fudd in my book. To me, they are as bad as outright gun banners or worse.

My mother-in-law said to me the other day, "You should like Obama. He is pro-gun. He's for hunting." I almost freaked out.

Martlet, Derek - thanks for the replies - I had my suspicions on the definitions and yes Derek, you touched a nerve - call it an old wound. My bad for snapping.

Now - How the he!! can a gun owner NOT support 2a - it's their guns too!?

My Dad can't see CCW or any non-traditional hunting guns but he's seen the last 5 wars from home and like the cranky old republican dad of z0mbie and views certain types of arms to be military/LE use only - doesn't see the big picture of the politics. At 83, can't say I blame him.

Now Becka - my GF asked me why I need an AR - she asked, "What are you gonna shoot?" The worst in her imagination reflected in her face. to which I replied, "Targets."
Discussion then revolved around the definition of a target - hunting, paper & cans became the most dominant. She's also warming up to my CCW habit and has shot with an ex-bf herself.

I ask her to go and she is interested - we're setting up a date to go to the range. Considering she once asked me "How many guns do you need?" and I snapped back, "All of them." with a grin, I think that's progress.

Lots of good reasons listed here - been an interesting read.
Thanks All

My dad is some what of a fudd too. If I was still living in MN it wouldn't be that way. The next time I go home on Vacation I'm loading up some ARs and taking the old man to the range.

We need them on board with us, I wish they would take off the blinders and chip in on this huge battle.

You take exception to my comment because you hunt??? [thinking]

I am a member of Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever. I grew up hunting and I still actively hunt today. I know exactly what I am talking about when I say fudd. I grew up in Minnesota. I've hunted in MN, WI, MI, ND, and SD. They are riddled with Fudds.

Fudd is a hunter that thinks if you don't use a gun for hunting you don't need it. A fudd is someone who owns guns and doesn't support the 2nd amendment. THE FUDDS OUT NUMBER US AND ARE EXACTLY THE REASON WHY US GUN OWNERS ARE WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW.

Do you understand what a Fudd is now?

A lot of folks just don't understand what the 2nd Amendment really means. Forget about "marksmanship" and hunting....has nothing to do with either.

This is the way it has been presented, perceived...and prostituted. Am not sure how many folks actually understand it true meaning and intent.....and I include sportsmen, hunters, marksmen, shooters, competitors....you name it. Is it too "politically incorrect" to state the true intent of the 2nd Amendment?[wink]

I carry a pistol because cops complain when I try to carry them around instead.

Because when seconds count cops are only minutes away.

For the same reason I have a loaded fire extinguisher in my house -- I don't expect to use either, but I'm prepared.

There are so many many more. But besides on that, I'm sure it was AW you were talking about, but a semiautomatic rifle.

Last edited:
Hunting and target sports of any kind have absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment and ownership. Can anyone show me where "hunting" and "marksmanship" is specifically mentioned?

The 2nd Amendment, IMHO, has one reason and one purpose...only. It is the right of the individual to arm and protect themselves....against all....and that includes the government. It is a defensive, self-protective Amendment, not a means of aggression or attack. Self defense and Self Protection. It has been prostituted by our politicians and courts.

Scenario: Perps break down my front door. I have a Medieval sword on my wall. Grab the sword and defend myself....assuming I am not killed by gunshots. Would I also be subject to "excessive force" questions? Would I be told that my sword doesn't meet a "norm", and perhaps I should have retreated? Care to think of other, similar, scenarios? Would you give a second thought to current laws if your home was invaded.

If you would, and if you hesitate....God help you. No one else will. [wink]

You're preaching to the choir.

Somebody at work asked me that question a few weeks back; I responded by saying that I thought it was every American's right, almost duty, to own a rifle, and that if I'm going to have a rifle it may as well be a good one.

Secondly, if the gun-grabbers were able to re-instate the AWB, the very next day they'd be saying "you know... there's really not all that much difference between that semi-auto assault rifle we just banned and your semi-automatic hunting rifle with the walnut stock... we should probably ban those too."

The person ended up agreeing with me. Next up is getting him to the range and making a convert.[grin]

Martlet, Derek - thanks for the replies - I had my suspicions on the definitions and yes Derek, you touched a nerve - call it an old wound. My bad for snapping.

Now - How the he!! can a gun owner NOT support 2a - it's their guns too!?

My Dad can't see CCW or any non-traditional hunting guns but he's seen the last 5 wars from home and like the cranky old republican dad of z0mbie and views certain types of arms to be military/LE use only - doesn't see the big picture of the politics. At 83, can't say I blame him.

Now Becka - my GF asked me why I need an AR - she asked, "What are you gonna shoot?" The worst in her imagination reflected in her face. to which I replied, "Targets."
Discussion then revolved around the definition of a target - hunting, paper & cans became the most dominant. She's also warming up to my CCW habit and has shot with an ex-bf herself.

I ask her to go and she is interested - we're setting up a date to go to the range. Considering she once asked me "How many guns do you need?" and I snapped back, "All of them." with a grin, I think that's progress.

Lots of good reasons listed here - been an interesting read.
Thanks All

Sprocket, in some ways no different than my wife...although she has never, ever questioned a gun purchase.

She is asking more and more questions about caliber, handling, etc. All on her own...no force from me. Will be getting her started on .38 and eventually .357.

Semi's are a no-no for her....hand/finger strength. At 67, she has some Arthritis in her fingers and pulling the slide back on of my semi's just cannot be done. A revolver, she can handle. [grin]

Am thrilled she has taken this interest and desire to learn. No question I will be her "resident teacher". [grin]

You're preaching to the choir.

Perhaps....but you think there might be folks outside of the "choir" reading the messages? What I said here is no different than what I say anywhere, anytime, to anyone...no matter the venue or the social occasion. Will not bring the matter up....especially during a "social event", but, it if does come up, will not back off and respond with "facts" as best I can. Have found that most "bigmouths" have no facts or data at their disposal, and rely on their "bluster". Start talking "nitty gritty, and it is only the most entrenched anti-gun person that will give arguments/opinions based only on an ideology of "feel good"....and perhaps worse.

Perhaps....but you think there might be folks outside of the "choir" reading the messages? What I said here is no different than what I say anywhere, anytime, to anyone...no matter the venue or the social occasion. Will not bring the matter up....especially during a "social event", but, it if does come up, will not back off and respond with "facts" as best I can. Have found that most "bigmouths" have no facts or data at their disposal, and rely on their "bluster". Start talking "nitty gritty, and it is only the most entrenched anti-gun person that will give arguments/opinions based only on an ideology of "feel good"....and perhaps worse.

You quoted me. I thought you were speaking to me.

it's a wardrobe reference. you know... stripes can make one look fat, etc. black...as in evil black rifle... makes a girl look slim, and goes with everything. no further explanation needed as to why you brought one home. hi honey. i just dropped 1600 on this black scary thing and 1000 rds of ammo, but boy... wow... did you lose weight? [smile]

[smile]guys...now you are catching on!

My dad is some what of a fudd too. If I was still living in MN it wouldn't be that way. The next time I go home on Vacation I'm loading up some ARs and taking the old man to the range.

We need them on board with us, I wish they would take off the blinders and chip in on this huge battle.

Go for it. My Dad, when he was still alive, would never go to the range with me. He was a machine gun SGt. in WWII, never saw/met him unitl I was 3-4 years old. He basically was a stranger to me. He never downplayed my interest, just would never participate. Only found out his job when we went for a meal and a couple of drinks when I recieved my promotion to CW3. It was a part of his life he "blocked off". Just would never discuss it.

If you can get your Dad to the range and have a good day, you will be richer for it. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom