How do I explain to a friend why you'd need an assault rifle?

Just say its not an assault rifle, its just a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine. She keeps calling it an assault rifle just tell her according to the F.A. Moyer Special Forces foreign weapons handbook an assault weapon is widely to be a weapon that must meet the following criteria:

* It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
* It must be capable of selective fire;
* It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
* Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine.

Then let her know selective fire is then defined as being able to fire in full automatic like a machine gun or semi-automatic.

That if you stop using the full and true definition of an assault rifle then any weapon can be considered an assault rifle to a point.

Or, ask her then if she supports the banning of Sniper Rifles? She will probably say yes then point out to her that the current US Military's current Sniper Rifle System IS a built on a Remington 700 action and as such any bolt action used commonly in hunting deer is then illegal since it can be a sniper rifle.

My dad is some what of a fudd too. If I was still living in MN it wouldn't be that way. The next time I go home on Vacation I'm loading up some ARs and taking the old man to the range.

We need them on board with us, I wish they would take off the blinders and chip in on this huge battle.

Ditto (about needing them on board, not the Fudd father [grin]).

A lot of folks just don't understand what the 2nd Amendment really means. Forget about "marksmanship" and hunting....has nothing to do with either.

This is the way it has been presented, perceived...and prostituted. Am not sure how many folks actually understand it true meaning and intent.....and I include sportsmen, hunters, marksmen, shooters, competitors....you name it. Is it too "politically incorrect" to state the true intent of the 2nd Amendment?[wink]

I agree with you. The 2A doesn't recognize our right to kill deer, bunnies and birds, it recognizes our right to protect ourselves from the government by rising up if push comes to shove.

It is my sincere hope that it never, ever comes to that.

Sprocket, in some ways no different than my wife...although she has never, ever questioned a gun purchase.

She is asking more and more questions about caliber, handling, etc. All on her own...no force from me. Will be getting her started on .38 and eventually .357.

Semi's are a no-no for her....hand/finger strength. At 67, she has some Arthritis in her fingers and pulling the slide back on of my semi's just cannot be done. A revolver, she can handle. [grin]

Am thrilled she has taken this interest and desire to learn. No question I will be her "resident teacher". [grin]

For emergency purposes, etc., have you considered showing her how to cock a semi-auto by resting the edge of the slide on a hard surface like a table to cock it? My dad did this with us kids when we weren't strong enough to rack the slide with our hands, since the home defense gun was a semi-9mm in a drawer with an empty chamber/full magazine.

I know it's not the best way to operate a semi you care about, but if things get ugly, a 15 minute lesson could literally be the difference in life and death.

jesus... i can't even believe i'm reading half of this shit.

"my girlfriend doesn't like EBR's, my wife thinks guns are bad, my boyfriend says no one should own assault weapons." waaaaah! grow a pair.

the answer is simple. i own military style semi-automatic weapons because i am going to kill people and f*** shit up if anyone comes anywhere near my family. i'll do it without that rifle anyway, but that rifle makes it a hell of a lot easier for me to do so. that's my god given right as an american, and one of the reasons my forefathers fought for independence, and then wrote the BOR. it's why my great grandfathers, and grandfathers fought and bled. it's why my siblings serve, why i see kids giving their lives now...

my wife isn't all that gun friendly, but when shit hits the fan, she knows that i will kill people and f*** shit up until she and our children are safe. she may get snippy about things gun-related sometimes, but when the lights go out, or the coyotes are prowling, or some weird guy knocks on the door, she expects me to be there, armed, and neutralizing the threat.

that's my job. as a man, a husband, a boyfriend, whatever.

it's your job, too.

work hard, pay your taxes, contribute to society, speak softly, avoid confrontation whenever possible, but don't ever forget that your god given right, and your god demanded duty at the end of the day is to kill things and f*** shit up if bad guys come for those innocents you're responsible for.

Yes, and +1.

Just say its not an assault rifle, its just a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine. She keeps calling it an assault rifle just tell her according to the F.A. Moyer Special Forces foreign weapons handbook an assault weapon is widely to be a weapon that must meet the following criteria:

* It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
* It must be capable of selective fire;
* It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
* Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine.

Then let her know selective fire is then defined as being able to fire in full automatic like a machine gun or semi-automatic.

That if you stop using the full and true definition of an assault rifle then any weapon can be considered an assault rifle to a point.

Or, ask her then if she supports the banning of Sniper Rifles? She will probably say yes then point out to her that the current US Military's current Sniper Rifle System IS a built on a Remington 700 action and as such any bolt action used commonly in hunting deer is then illegal since it can be a sniper rifle.

grin, have a very old and pristine, Rem. Nylon 66. Swear that I can "pick out your eyes" with it....and its ONLY a .22. Have added an Aimpoint 2x to it, since the eyes are getting old. 50 feet, 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards? Grin, no problem with target. This setup most likely slips under the radar of the "banners". Damn good....great for me. [wink][wink] Love the piece!

Ditto (about needing them on board, not the Fudd father [grin]).

I agree with you. The 2A doesn't recognize our right to kill deer, bunnies and birds, it recognizes our right to protect ourselves from the government by rising up if push comes to shove.

For emergency purposes, etc., have you considered showing her how to cock a semi-auto by resting the edge of the slide on a hard surface like a table to cock it? My dad did this with us kids when we weren't strong enough to rack the slide with our hands, since the home defense gun was a semi-9mm in a drawer with an empty chamber/full magazine.

I know it's not the best way to operate a semi you care about, but if things get ugly, a 15 minute lesson could literally be the difference in life and death.

Yes, and +1.

That is my hope also...will never be necessary.....BUT.....

My wife, Randi, has Arthritis in her fingers. I can train her on a revolver, but there is just no way she is going to rack the slide on a semi, and I really don't want her to "play games". Would much rather train her on .38, .357 and perhaps .45 LC.....all revolver. Want her to get familiar with, and feel comfortable with....the venue. The revolver is going to be "her piece"....whatever the caliber. [wink]

Yup

Because I believe in self help. Why should I depend on someone else to defend me?

However, I would want Martlet on my six.

I think, with a few exceptions, most people here could be relied upon to cover in a nittty gritty situation...IMHO.

That is my hope also...will never be necessary.....BUT.....

My wife, Randi, has Arthritis in her fingers. I can train her on a revolver, but there is just no way she is going to rack the slide on a semi, and I really don't want her to "play games". Would much rather train her on .38, .357 and perhaps .45 LC.....all revolver. Want her to get familiar with, and feel comfortable with....the venue. The revolver is going to be "her piece"....whatever the caliber. [wink]

Fair enough. [grin]

And with your saying that I give you this.

In a way a call to arms.......looking toward the future...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHlvnqPdH0

The 2A doesn't recognize our right to kill deer, bunnies and birds, it recognizes our right to protect ourselves from the government by rising up if push comes to shove.

Fair enough. [grin]

Will definitely work for her. Just can't imagine her trying to rack the slide on one of my 1911's or the LAR Grizz. Needs to be "comfortable" and "doable". Will get her used to the different calibers, but revolver it is. [wink]

I would not get into a discussion about assault weapons. I would talk mostly about features and how those features make the gun no more, or no less dangerous. What exactly is it about pistol grips, flash hiders and bayonet lugs that make particular guns worthy of banning. Show them a picture of a Pre-ban and then a picture of a post ban. Ask them which is legal and which is not.

B

Show them a picture of a Pre-ban and then a picture of a post ban. Ask them which is legal and which is not.

B

I've done that before. [grin] They were surprised when they realized what make something banned and what isn't banned. Well banned in MA that is. [thinking]

I would not get into a discussion about assault weapons. I would talk mostly about features and how those features make the gun no more, or no less dangerous. What exactly is it about pistol grips, flash hiders and bayonet lugs that make particular guns worthy of banning. Show them a picture of a Pre-ban and then a picture of a post ban. Ask them which is legal and which is not.

B
+1000
The Subjects of Mass, the Sheeple here lost the title of 'Citizen' decades ago, have allowed the extreme Left Democrats to control the debate so long that they just accept their terminology. I refuse to use the phrase "assault weapon" because they do not exist. They are simply 'service rifles'.
Assault weapons are like "Moderate Democrats", they don't really exist.
The 2nd Amendment, as they say, does not acknowledge our God given Right to keep and bare sporting goods.
It is our Right to remove unfair, oppressive government.

I had a good conversation with my daughter, who is eleven, the other day, about how the gun banning works. I was remarking to my wife that Eric Holder had proposed the assault weapon ban again, and my daughter asked "will they take our guns?". (she doesn't know the details about the ban still in effect in MA)

She's studying the constitution in her social studies class, so was actually interested at this point.

I said "no, the politicians are too smart for that, they will never come and take anyone's guns if they can avoid it, they just make it against the law to buy new ones. It is a dishonest way that they have of taking people's rights away a little at a time so nobody notices until it's too late".

I think she got the point, because she really likes the Browning Buckmark rifle that she appropriated from me ("that's my rifle, right Daddy?") and was suddenly aware of what it would mean for the police to come and take it from us.

the answer is simple. i own military style semi-automatic weapons because i am going to kill people and f*** shit up if anyone comes anywhere near my family. i'll do it without that rifle anyway, but that rifle makes it a hell of a lot easier for me to do so.

This is the image that most Antis have of gun owners. They see the guy at the range dressed in camo, shooting military rifles, talking about how hardcore they are. How they are going to kill the zombies

Of course they are going to think that we shouldn't own these guns.

The first time I took the wife to shoot, on one side of me was a bunch of Jonny Tough nuts, in camo, shooting their AK at cans 10 yards away, pretending they were all bad ass. on the other side was a backwoods Fudd with his deer rifle, dirty flannel jacket and one tooth, hootin' and hollerin' about the douchebags with the AK

My wife said to me: This is how Americans picture gun owners

Their preception is our reality

Don't overlook the message because of the messenger.

I'm not saying the government is perfect and I'm happy with everything that goes on, but I sure don't think the time has come to start a shooting war with the government. That should only ever be a last resort, when all else has failed, because a lot of people would die in a bloody revolution. The only revolution required right now involves voting and actually getting involved in politics.

I applaud our founding fathers for standing up at the right time, but SemiAutoSam's no Revere, Franklin or Washington as far as I can see. It's hard to say this without being offensive, but he posts like Chicken Little.

Last edited:
work hard, pay your taxes, contribute to society, speak softly, avoid confrontation whenever possible, but don't ever forget that your god given right, and your god demanded duty at the end of the day is to kill things and f*** shit up if bad guys come for those innocents you're responsible for.

+1

Actually, this makes me wonder: What firearms terminology is actually accurate? I mean, what are the proper names for each type of firearm?

I wonder how much of the terminology we use is fabricated bullshit.

Frankly, I'd like to use a bit of military classification. It'd certainly remove some of the fear struck in the hearts of the weak- minded when they hear "rifle."

Call anything under smaller than artillery "small arms," and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom