How do I explain to a friend why you'd need an assault rifle?

You do not need to explain why you exercise a Constitutional Right.

DO you explain to this person why you exercise your 1st Amendment right?

I agree in principle. I don't see it as 'explaining' more as educating and dispelling anti-propaganda.

The antis have spent serious time and money convincing the public that guns are scary and evil & have convinced them that the issue IS open to debate. Refusal to engage in dialog just plays into their hands 'oh, he won't talk about it because he doesn't have an answer - the antis must be right!'

Responding "Well, the 2nd Ammendment preserves my right to own one, as to why I would WANT to own one.......INSERT REASONS HERE"

I think we've all got the duty to educate our less informed fellows & you catch more flies with honey.

This was posed to me at the Springfield by a hunter who stated that if you guys would just give up on those guns you don't need, the hunters would be left alone. Being a hunter I wasn't very happy with that statement. The following is an outline of my response:

Me: Don't ever allow the government to establish law or policies based on what you supposedly "need". For instance, why do you need a gun?

Him: Because I hunt.

Me: Why do you need to hunt?

Him: I hunt for food.

Me: Well there are plenty of grocery stores around so you really don't need to hunt.

Him: But I prefer healthier game meat without all of the chemicals in it like what you find in a store.

Me: OK, so this is what the government is going to tell you. - We can solve this problem for you. We will develop a program so you can turn in your gun for a special card that will allow you to get free food at the market that is organic and free of chemicals. So we've (government) have solved your problem. You don't need a gun since you will no longer need to hunt and since we're paying for your food, you won't need to eat meat and you'll get free organic soy based food free from the government.

Him: They can't do that I have the right to hunt!

Me: Oh, so now we're talking about rights, not needs. Interesting how I helped you come full circle on the subject of need vs. rights when it affected you.

Him: Never thought of it that way, thanks.

Exactly!!!! I should have read further in the thread before adding my response above LOL

You dont need to justify any thing you spend money on unless its your spouse giving you grief for said purchase.

Once you start to justify your hobby to an outside party, you've already lost the argument that they cornered you into. Just pass over the question.

Many of these so called "assault weapons" actually have features that make them excellent for practical shooting competitions.

They are not evil features as so many people believe, they are actually very practical features that have been dubbed evil by the media hype and the anti-gunners.

Besides that - why does anybody need a Ferrari, or a motorcycle, or a boat, or a bottle of whiskey, or set of golf clubs, or a set of darts or... ahhh you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Hi Becka,

I posted this some time ago but it appears that this answer fits for you as well.....

I am not sure that I am offering an answer to all of your questions. However, I was asked with respect to my AR by a family member why I wanted a gun that was designed for military and cops and to give one good reason for it.

First I told them that the design was the same basic design of other semi auto rifles and that there was no magic to the gun. But i also stated that the benefits to going with a design like this were:

-Proven reliability
-Ease of maintenance
-Availability of spares
-Durability
-Accuracy

As to your query about why one would want a .50.

I wonder, why must some have a Ferrari or Lambourgini, after all they are only cars and a Ford would do the job just as well to get you to work and to the store. If Caliber is more the issue then I would pose the question why some have an F-350 when they almost never put anything in the back and are not in the construction trade.

-Rick

The bottom line is you have the right to keep and bear arms. As a citizen you either trust me with a gun or you don't. If you don't, then you had better be able to clearly and specifically explain why I should not be trusted.

It is ridiculous to get into debates about how I am trusted to own a gun that holds ten rounds but not eleven rounds. A gun is a gun is a gun, I'm either a lawful citizen with my rights intact or I'm not.

Next thing you are giong to say is we shouldn't have M1 garands, since the US used them in WWII?

While we're at it, can you give me good comebacks to the people on Facebook who keep saying that people don't need guns, that's what cops are for?
Because a gun is so much easier to carry around than a cop.

Let them think about it for a few minutes; it might take them a while to get it.

Explain her that not all the things you have you need for any practical reason. You may also want to own certain items. Just because you like them.

I am not sure where need comes in to the picture at all... If you ask the same question about one gun at a time you can "need" yourself out of the 2nd amendment. The need is security, and protection.

As far as the police doing the job, they are at least 5 mins away on a good night... when the window breaks, do you want a gun or a phone? I am not dissin' the LEOs here.. they do have a tough job and cant be everywhere at the same time.. if the SHTF... it would be real nice to have a few beside me instead of 5 to 10 mins away... but that aint going to happen.... and to the point... never has.. you stand a 100% chance of facing the bad guys alone for at least 5 mins...

Self protection is one of the fundamental principle encompassed by the 2nd amendment, so called "assault weapons" are built exclusively for self defense in a really hostile environment. Why would you be stupid enough not to have one??

Like what is said about Harley Davidson...."If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."

+1 million. These people are either stupid or (and the percentage of people in this category is alarmingly high), are the real-deal sheep. They would rather be slaughtered then defend themselves.

BTW, it should be pointed that the real bullshit here is that we can't buy assault rifles. It's a double kick in the balls. 1.) We should be allowed be own automatic weapons, just like the military carries. 2.) Because we can buy fake, neutered look-alike versions, most antis bust our cops for owning guns that dumbed down anyways.

It's a sad state of affairs that we to fight just for our right to own fake assault rifles.

Last edited:
Think back to the American Revolution. Their Assault Weapons were muskets. There wouldn't be an America, if our forefathers were restricted to bows and arrows, instead of the Assault Weapons of the time. On the other hand, the natives of this country had a shortage of capable weapons in comparison, and now their descendants live on reservations.

I posted this before (below), and as far as the differences amongst the kind of firearms...it makes no difference. It is about preference nothing more. You see, this person, as many, may think that a gun is only about defense and only about some particular kind of defense, whereby the reasons for owning a gun may be several, and the preferences of kind/type are many more:

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/whyownagun.htm

Why Own a Gun?
There are millions of gun owners in the world, and a wide array of reasons why they have chosen to own firearms. Before you consider buying a gun, take a look at your reasons for doing so... or examine the reasons below, and decide if gun ownership is right for you. For some of us, several reasons may apply, and it can be hard to quantify our various reasons for owning guns.

Because It's Cool
This is a fairly weak reason in comparison to others, but I don't think it can be ignored. This may be one of the most overlooked factors in gun ownership. Someone goes shooting with a friend, loves it (and/or thinks the gun is just groovy), and soon becomes a gun owner himself (or herself). No problem there - everyone has to start someplace.

On the bad side of this equation would be those who want a gun simply because they think it will make them cool, or powerful. This is fallacy, and can be extremely dangerous.

Don't buy a gun to try to make yourself feel big... it won't work and when you get to showing off in an attempt to inflate your flaccid ego, things could turn deadly in a half a heartbeat. Forget about it! Buy a trendy car if you just want to look cool. Then buy a gun if you want to defend yourself against car thieves.

Family Legacy (Because my Parents Owned Guns)
A family legacy of gun ownership is often a factor in determining whether one will become a gun owner. Many of us got our first guns as gifts from parents.

Sometimes it doesn't seem to "click," and at some point in life the son or daughter decides that gun ownership is not for them. In these cases, it often seems that a parent's lack of care is what prevents these folks from feeling comfortable with guns. It only takes one negative experience to solidify a bad feeling towards guns in a young person.

When the parent has taken more care to teach and exemplify proper gun-handling skills and other firearms knowledge, there is a much greater chance that the recipient of this legacy will embrace (rather than reject) it.

If you have had a bad experience with a gun in the past, that may be a valid reason for you not to own a gun - but probably not. It's more likely that you have an irrational attitude towards guns, and unreasoned bias is never good.

Just For Hunting

Hunting is a fine reason to own a gun - or several guns. Different game calls for different firearms, so there's good reason to own a number of shootin' irons if you hunt various game. Owning guns only for the purpose of hunting is probably pretty common here in the USA... though many hunters, through exposure to and experience with firearms, become comfortable with them and often wish to own guns for other purposes as well.

If you want to do much successful hunting, guns are usually necessary. Some game can be hunted with bow & arrow, but the lion's share of game taken today falls to gun hunters - and thank goodness for that, because in many areas of the country even gun hunters don't take enough deer to meet management goals. And when someone is just beginning to hunt, it's best for that person to have every ethical edge, so it doesn't become boring or tedious.

Bowhunting is often the realm of the experienced gun hunter who wants to get more hunting time in the woods. Most folks shouldn't plan to start out hunting with a bow, but should instead use a quality gun and learn how to use it properly before heading to the woods. This increases one's chances of success, which helps keep one interested in hunting.

Target Shooting Only

Some folks just enjoy the challenge of punching paper with their guns. Shooting accurately is challenging, and many of us feel a sense of achievement from being able to put our shots exactly where we want them to go. The pleasure one derives from this is relative, just like any activity or hobby - but I don't know of anyone who likes to shoot inaccurately.

Competitive shooting helps some shooters focus and gives them a sense of belonging, as well as a sense of achievement when they are able to shoot better than their fellow competitors.

For Social Reasons

Some gun owners may own guns simply so they can take part in social shooting activities, such as sporting clays, cowboy action shooting, and the like. I seem to keep myself plenty busy with other activities, but for some folks this type of "social shooting" can become an enjoyable hobby in lieu of golf or something of that nature.

For Self Defense

This one is by far the most powerful, and universal, reason for anyone to own a gun. Human beings possess a strong self-preservation urge, as well they should - and a gun is very often the best tool one can have on hand to counter a threat to one's life, and/or the lives of one's family members.

Police cannot protect citizens, and even if they could, they do not have an obligation to do so. One must accept responsibility for one's own security.

To deny a human the right to defend him- or herself from any threat is the most grievous crime against humanity that I can think of. Human enslavement, you say? Genocide? Well, that kind of thing can't happen to an armed populace. Hitler's holocaust, together with a world war, began by disarming the German people. So to own a gun for the purpose of defense is one of the most universal and basic human rights - period.

Whether you're defending against an individual, a gang, or a government, gun ownership coupled with the knowledge and ability to properly use said guns is just about the most powerful force there is. An armed people cannot be enslaved, and as gun ownership increases, crime decreases. It's a win-win situation when more folks are armed. Many, if not most, instances of self defense don't even necessitate the firing of a gun - its mere presence is usually enough. (continued)

Because the Founding Fathers Wanted me to
This is another excellent reason to own a gun and to be well-versed in its use. The folks who founded the USA felt strongly that its citizens should be armed - and ready to use those arms at any time.

Anti-freedom gun-haters like to argue that we the people should not own guns, and that the Second Amendment is all about the military. Nothing could be farther from the truth! A considerable number of the American Founding Fathers did not even approve of our having an established army, lest a future President should use it against his own people.

How, then, can anyone honestly believe that these men - who were against the establishment of a standing army - went to the trouble of amending the Constitution to protect the rights of a government-established militia? It's absurd.

Our Founding Fathers wanted the American people to be armed and skilled in the use of arms - more for protection against a totalitarian government than anything else.

It's important to remember that gun ownership is the one human right which can ensure that other human rights will not be violated. An armed populace cannot be forced to concede its freedoms of speech, worship, etc. It's the fear of retaliation that keeps the corruptive nature of political power from sweeping our land with overwhelming force... whether it be retaliation at the ballot box, or at the hands of armed citizens. The truth may be ugly at times, but that doesn't make it any less true.

As an Investment
Guns rarely decline in value, provided they are bought at a non-inflated price and are not abused or heavily used... and some poppers may rise dramatically in value over just a few years' time. Some folks see certain guns as an investment, and are content to prop them in a corner and let their value grow.

Historical Reasons
Some gun owners like guns merely for their historical value. Perhaps a certain gun which has been celebrated in history, such as the old Kentucky rifle or the original Colt Peacemaker revolver, may pique a collector's sense of history. Still others prefer military arms, which have definite significance to those of us whose families have served in the military during wartime.

Many guns are pieces of history as much as they are tools for game-getting or self-preservation. It's important to preserve that history, lest we forget.

Interest in The Mechanics of Firearms
Most firearms are mechanical marvels. They are fine machines, which - like any other machine - perform a job. Like a fine car or truck, they often combine engineering genius with raw power, with results that many people would consider beautiful... even while others shake their heads in wonder because they just don't get it.

Nay-sayers aside, there's no denying that most guns are fine machines - and fine-tuned ones at that. Sheer appreciation of this may drive more than one admirer to own them for that reason alone.

My Own Reasons
For me, my reasons include most of those outlined above... though I'm unlikely to buy a gun simply to set it aside and not use it. I own and use guns for hunting, target shooting, clay busting, and self defense, as well as just plain exercising my right to protect myself against any and all oppressors. And although I know there are people in the world who hate me for owning guns, I really don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Let your reasons be your own... we Americans are still free to do as we choose, to some extent. Don't let politicians, TV news anchors, me, or anyone else do your thinking for you.

I highly recommend gun ownership, but you get to make your own choice. Just don't tread on me if you don't agree... some serpents still have fangs.

- Russ Chastain

I'd take the easy way out and just say it is a hobby. If they push you on why you need an "assault weapon", ask them what that means? I don't think most people realize that it is just another rifle dressed up a little different. The rifle assembly is the same, the furniture is a bit different. Kinda like the difference between a regular motorcycle and a Ducati.

Finally, try to take a naysayer to a gun range. Let them shoot. Everyone that I've taken has been thrilled with the experience and wants to go back again and again.

In fact, I think that is the key. Most people have not had the experience. Once they do I think they'll understand the natural affinity we have for shooting. The key is understanding and overcoming any preconceived notions or fears that they might have.

Best,

Rich

Last edited:
Every male between the ages of 17-65 who is a United States citizen is in fact a member of the unorganized militia.

Females can do anything a male can do.

I believe the militia should have comparable arms to the regular Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force. When the populace does not have comparable tools to the military, they become easier to subjugate. This is the reason why I NEED an autoloading rifle that chambers an intermediate cartridge.

My reasons for WANTING one? Less recoil, more control, military surplus ammo is profoundly cheap, and there's nothing quite like selling your handguards smoke when you've just put 3 fulls mags downrange right after buying and cleaning a WASR 10 IMHO.

read many good replies, your friend is a female friend? why does she need more than one pair of shoes, makeup etc... you get the picture. It is all about freedom, and the freedom to choose.
Also, I had a similar arguement with someone last month. I asked him if he ever had to call 911 (I truly forgot his kid got hit by a car, medflighted, but lived) and he reminded me that indeed he had. I then asked him, didn't it seem like forever until help got there?
He agreed, and listed everything that happened until they did. My point exactly.

A civilian AR-15 is not an "assault rifle." The term "assault weapon" has no tactical validity.

I had this conversation with a friend of mine. She lives in Iowa and is used to guns and hunting, although she doesn't own any guns. I explained to her that the media hype about this was, well, media hype.

The problem is that we (gun owners) have let the liberal media define the terms of the debate. Once you explain to someone that what the media calls assault rifles aren't, then they get it. Well, at least the ones that have open minds do.

Of course, scoped hunting rifles are "sniper rifles" and hunting ammunition is also considered "cop killing armor piercing bullets" by the liberal media.

I need it just like you need those cute shoes you bought last week!

I came to this thread because we're trying to track down a his and hers pair of righty and lefty AR-15s, and because while something in me says I should get it now I'm still not soild on the whys. Right now my "why" is because the powers are moving towards eliminating our ability to purchase these arms, and therefore I want to exercise that right while I can. I have a hard time imagining scenarios where I would "need" such a weapon in the strictest sense of the word - for larger caliber I have my moose gun, for volume there is a 10/22 with magazines galore - and should I have this "need" that is a LOT of ammo to stockpile. I do, however, "need" an AR-15 just like I need the cute shoes I buy. I will enjoy the use (fun at the range / you'd have to be a woman to understand[grin]), and have a psychological benefit from owning both. But unlike those cute shoes, when AR-15s are no longer available I won't be able to find an equivalent product. Good thing AR-15s last longer and are more reliable than shoes! [laugh] I think your friend's comments about "Get a fifty for that" mean that if you need to get a big gun, why not get the biggest? I'd tell her the 50 caliber was on the list, but with the price of that ammo its on the wish list and not the shopping list (legalities aside, since all I know is those are illegal in CA). It takes some time to step into the world of guns. It was only 16 months ago, but shopping for that first S&W I thought it needed to fill every role I'd have for a gun. Now I'm plotting how to best use the space in our safe, but that took about a year and a lot of growing familiarity. ---As for responding to the Facebook comments on why guns when there are cops, I don't think you'll get anywhere with any response you give them. Beyond asking how long they think it would take if they called a cop now and told them they were being assaulted/raped/robbed and what could happen in that time there is not much to do. And I doubt even that will pass through on the ADD medium that is Facebook.

Another thing you might want to mention....

"Well, you do know, those same people who want to ban so called "assault weapons" well, guess what's also on their list- the .50 caliber rifles and handguns you just mentioned. They're simply banning things in order of political incorrectness. Then after they get done with those two things, you can bet your ass they're coming for your handgun, too. "

-Mike

Look at it this way,

If there are millions of gun owners and everybody has a different reason why they own a gun, then there are millions of reasons.

If there are millions of gun owners and they all own a gun for one exact same reason, then that one reason is a damn good one.

"Why do some people need 350+hp cars? You can't really take full advantage of them on the streets legally."

You can not explain it to her. Just take her to the range with a coupld of 30 round mags, and have her let loose! Afterwards, ask her why there is a big grin on her face.

While many have said it aptly, I might just say it another way:

1. It's not about what you "need"

2. It's not even about what you "want"

3. It's about Government having no power/authority to question your choice

Right now it's the Federal Government but hopefully the 2ndA will incorporate against the States as well.

When you try to establish why you need or want, you go on the defensive. You should treat the question like asking why your favorite color is blue.

Back
Top Bottom