New Acquisitions for October 2008!

Just do it, you will regret it more later if you don't.

Just do the SBR. Its a little more work at the beginning, and the long wait is annoying, but if you had just done the paperwork instead of sitting on the lower, it would be done by now.

You guys are killing me. [smile]

BTW, a 14.5" barrel with a permanently affixed A2 is NOT long enough. It will be short by .2 inches. You can either get a 14.7" barrel, use a longer flash hider, or maybe get away with doubling up on crush washers.

--EasyD

Yeah, I just meant I was going to go the shortest barrel length+flash suppressor combo without going SBR.

What keeps me going back and forth is this... If I SBR... I'm going to go with a 11.5" upper... and with a flash hider... it's probably more like 12.5-13". And if it's going to be 13"... what's another 3" at 16"?

Is the wait + $200 + Trust being drawn up really worth 3" of barrel?

Yes... I know... it probably is. [smile][laugh][thinking]

You guys are killing me. [smile]

Yeah, I just meant I was going to go the shortest barrel length+flash suppressor combo without going SBR.

What keeps me going back and forth is this... If I SBR... I'm going to go with a 11.5" upper... and with a flash hider... it's probably more like 12.5-13". And if it's going to be 13"... what's another 3" at 16"?

Is the wait + $200 + Trust being drawn up really worth 3" of barrel?

Yes... I know... it probably is. [smile][laugh][thinking]

It doesn't matter how you slice it. You can get a 11.5" barrel and add a 5.5" flash hider, you can get a 14.5" barrel and add a 1.5" inch flash hider. Don't matter, its 16" or its an SBR.

If I was gonna do an SBRed AR, I'd use a 10.5" barrel with an A2 flash hider. LMT, CMMG, and others make excellent 10.5" barrels. The 11.5" has no advantage, except a little tiny bit of velocity. I know a guy that did an SBR using a Bushmaster 7.5" pistol upper. It's probably the singularly most obnoxious gun I've ever fired, including the Zero Hour Tacticool Mosin and 50 BMG rifles.

As to wether or not its "worth it", its really a personal question. If you're being rational, absolutely not. Your spending at a minimum an extra $200 on the gun. Your name and address are in an ATF database forever. Your new AR creation will have inferior ballistics. When you take it to the range, you'll be harassed by everyone with questions and accusations... "That's iiilllleeegal!" You can't leave your home state without an OK from the man.

My vote, be irrational!

--EasyD

Last edited:
You still need a preban lower to have a flash hider and collapsible stock on a SBR right?

I just went through this with a local PD. They contacted ATF before signing off on a Form. ATF told them that any SBRs made or transfered in MA need to be AWB compliant or pre-ban. This confirms my reading of the law, which is that the AWB applies to "semi-automatic rifles" without any mention of barrel length.

I had a conversation with a Sgt. from another PD, and his reading of MA law is that because SBRs have barrels less then 16", they aren't considered rifles, and are instead firearms, and not subject to the AWB.

I don't think ATF has any business interpreting MA law, but good luck getting someone in the MA state government to actually give you a real, based in law, answer to this question. I would love to hear from any attorneys on there opinion on this question!

--EasyD

Last edited:
It would be too good to be true if a SBR post-ban lower allowed evil features. Then we could all just buy $200 get out of jail free cards. Doesn't stop me from wanting a SBR down the road though!

It doesn't matter how you slice it. You can get a 11.5" barrel and add a 5.5" flash hider, you can get a 14.5" barrel and add a 1.5" inch flash hider. Don't matter, its 16" or its an SBR.

Correct. I understand this [wink]

If I was gonna do an SBRed AR, I'd use a 10.5" barrel with an A2 flash hider. LMT, CMMG, and others make excellent 10.5" barrels. The 11.5" has no advantage, except a little tiny bit of velocity. I know a guy that did an SBR using a Bushmaster 7.5" pistol upper. It's probably the singularly most obnoxious gun I've ever fired, including the Zero Hour Tacticool Mosin and 50 BMG rifles.

As to wether or not its "worth it", its really a personal question. If you're being rational, absolutely not. Your spending at a minimum an extra $200 on the gun. Your name and address are in an ATF database forever. Your new AR creation will have inferior ballistics. When you take it to the range, you'll be harassed by everyone with questions and accusations... "That's iiilllleeegal!" You can't leave your home state without an OK from the man.

My vote, be irrational!

--EasyD

This is my problem. I tend to get rational about this kind of thing. On the other hand... I'm also pretty impulsive [smile]

Anyway... thread drift over... everyone, keep posting pics!

Iver Johnson Model 66 Trailmaster .22

Large frame .22 top break 8 shooter. Great shape - made in 1958.

IJ's are very good guns, and are cheap to buy compared to other brands. This one cost $35 in 1958. This is my second IJ.

left%20600x446.jpg

right%20600x466.jpg

I keep trying to talk myself into a 22 reveolver but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet...[rofl] can't pull the trigger [laugh]...I kill myself [thinking].

Nice revolver Pilgrim...I want one.

I haven't shot the new one yet. I have several .22 revolvers but I find this one is the easiest to shoot, and feels better in my hand.
right2%20800x599.jpg

The only thing about it that's a pain about is the single round loading port and extracting one at at time, like all single action Colt type revolvers. It takes some time reloading after each cylinder is fired.

It sure does hit what I aim at though.

I'd recommend a SA revolver to anyone who's looking for their first .22

The Ruger Single Six is a great gun. I have two; one that is brand new and its fun to shoot and very accurate. My other one is mfg. 1969 and never fired, in the box. I think its going to stay that way....Classic American revolver.

SW Model 17-6. I wish I could take decent pics...these really suck.

This one is mint. The bluing is so perfect and deep, everywhere, and the photos don't show it. Full underlug, target trigger and hammer, factory combat grips, recessed cylinder and heavy ! This has seen very little use. No box though..[sad]

I've wanted a 17 for years.

17_6left%20600x417.jpg

17_6right%20600x442.jpg

Woo Hoo!!! [banana] I’ve wanted one since the day I got my license, and I finally got an M14:

i43559EBF-F5E0-4176-BF8E-09ABAF75FDB2.jpg

iAD9C950E-DBF7-40A6-B547-FCFACCA78052.jpg

It’s a Federal Ordnance, Serial #50XX

SAK Barrel, Winchester Trigger Housing and Springfield Armory Bolt. The stock is in beautiful condition, and I found a cleaning kit inside (how do I figure out if it's a USGI stock?). It also came with a Simmons 3x 9x32 Scope and rail mount, but I don’t know if such a scope is worthy enough to to be mounted on such a rifle.

[party2]

I got a hell of a deal on it too. Picked it up from First Defense Firearms – it’s a great little shop in Uxbridge, and Dennis was incredibly helpful in answering all my questions via email before I drove all the way down there.

Also, a big thanks to Nickle for all his help.

[party]

Time to start searching for deals on .308 (or buy some .308 dies).

Now my only question is – it’s a preban rifle, so should I put it in a Troy Chassis, or leave it as is?

Last edited:
Look like the stock may not be USGI.

Look for a "repair" in the area wherethe selector swith would go. That's one clue. Now, if you want a true USGI stock, go see Fred.

http://fredsm14stocks.com/

I'd go for a synthetic myself. That's what I have, and I like it. Isn't as pretty, but, it doesn't warp, and is a bit lighter.

By the way, CONGRAT's, from a fellow USGI Fed Ord owner.

Well, unfortunately this isn't a permanent acquisition, but I've acquired it for the week! [devil]

P1010165.jpg

Oh, and what's that there by the trigger...

happyswitch.jpg

Ah yes... its the Happy Switch. Excellent.

Bushmaster XM15-E2S
11.5" Barrel
Collapsible Stock
Semi/Burst Modes

Back
Top Bottom