• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Brand spankin' new here. No experience whatsoever, but looking to learn and enjoy. Live/work in North shore MA (Newburyport). Taking the class that will (hopefully) enable me to get my LTC. Not sure if the process is frozen here in Newburyport. Thanks for having me. Seems like a great site!

Haven't logged into NES until yesterday, since, well, seemingly forever. Well probably five or six years. Does that make me a new person? :)

Welcome back, mate! [cheers]

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Not new, just a returning member from several years ago that relocated to NH and for one reason or another lost touch over the years. Started back reloading... and decided to catch up on the forum.

Welcome back to you as well! [cheers]

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Brand spankin' new here. No experience whatsoever, but looking to learn and enjoy. Live/work in North shore MA (Newburyport). Taking the class that will (hopefully) enable me to get my LTC. Not sure if the process is frozen here in Newburyport. Thanks for having me. Seems like a great site!

Welcome to NES, Caged! Glad to have you here. I love NBPT. Spent a lot of time there before I moved to VA. I did a lot of birding on Plum Island. See you around the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

New to the forum, been reading for a while and finally decided to join. Came from Russia, live in MA for 15 years now.

Hello facecrime, welcome to NES. Glad you've come out of hiding (lurking) and finally posted here. Look forward to your posts around the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
Another newbie poster, but long time lurker. I'm 60+, semi retired, and live in central MA, just outside Worcester.
Hi CDP, welcome to the community. Thanks for the intro post. Many people on here are also in the central MA area. See you around the forum.

Cheers [cheers]
Cindy [mg]

Good for you for making the decision to become a licensed firearms owner, and welcome to NES. Good people here. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get your LTC. ( we all know waiting on it sucks) The liberal politicians try to make it a pain in the ass so people won't bother.

Another newbie poster, but long time lurker. I'm 60+, semi retired, and live in central MA, just outside Worcester.
Welcome aboard. I know that when I retire I will be spending way to much time on the range and to much money on shooting. I better learn to reload. [laugh]

New to the forum, been reading for a while and finally decided to join. Came from Russia, live in MA for 15 years now.
Did you pick Massachusetts because it is the state most like Russia? Looking forward to your input in the discussions. Welcome to NES.

Just joined. I moved to the north shore from Boston and applied for my permit a few weeks ago. Looking forward to getting to the range!

Welcome to all of you! This is a wonderful forum. I hope you all will feel the same!
[iwojima]

Here's hoping you moved into a "Green" town.[cheers]

May your wait be short, and your RESTRICTIONS : NONE
Welcome to NES

Thank you I did. Already approved for unrestricted and am Hoping to have it in hand this week. Planning to join Hamilton Wenham R&G club as well.

Not a new join, have lurked off and on here for a bit, but figured I would drop by the newbie thread since I think I will be using this forum more in the future. Have had my LTC no restrictions for a few years now, and just went through my first renewal, which was surprisingly painless. I feel bad for those in towns that aren't as friendly to the process, to put it lightly.

Originally from and grew up on the South Shore of MA. Was taught to use and respect firearms from a young age, and have always enjoyed them. Currently live in New Bedford, and would like to start shooting more regularly, but don't really know any places near me or anyone to shoot with really.

My father got me into them, and was an awesome guy and a gun collector. Unfortunately, he passed away after a short battle, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with his collection. I want to basically curate and track them with a spreadsheet/DB including photos etc. There are quite a few of them that I would like to keep as they have a lot of sentimental value to me, so it's going to be an interesting and I'm sure frustrating process to go through.

I have read through this thread here:

Seemed to have found a lot of useful information re estate executrixes etc., and I hope I have a grasp on what needs to happen moving forward, as I do not want to go into it blind and lose any of his firearms.

There seems to be wealth of information on the forums, glad that it's there to search through.

Also, if anyone can direct me to any threads with good info re: FFL process/reqs?

Last edited:
Not a new join, have lurked off and on here for a bit, but figured I would drop by the newbie thread since I think I will be using this forum more in the future. Have had my LTC no restrictions for a few years now, and just went through my first renewal, which was surprisingly painless. I feel bad for those in towns that aren't as friendly to the process, to put it lightly.

Originally from and grew up on the South Shore of MA. Was taught to use and respect firearms from a young age, and have always enjoyed them. Currently live in New Bedford, and would like to start shooting more regularly, but don't really know any places near me or anyone to shoot with really.

My father got me into them, and was an awesome guy and a gun collector. Unfortunately, he passed away after a short battle, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with his collection. I want to basically curate and track them with a spreadsheet/DB including photos etc. There are quite a few of them that I would like to keep as they have a lot of sentimental value to me, so it's going to be an interesting and I'm sure frustrating process to go through.

I have read through this thread here:

Seemed to have found a lot of useful information re estate executrixes etc., and I hope I have a grasp on what needs to happen moving forward, as I do not want to go into it blind and lose any of his firearms.

There seems to be wealth of information on the forums, glad that it's there to search through.

Also, if anyone can direct me to any threads with good info re: FFL process/reqs?

First, I am sorry for your loss. No matter what the circumstances are, losing a parent sucks.
It should be a pretty painless process to transfer ownership. Find a good FFL and give him a call. I have been pretty happy with Shooting Supply in Westport and think he might be a member here.
If you do decide to sell some of the collection, you should consider selling them here on NES in the classifieds. You will have to go GREEN but you will quickly cover that expense with the first sale. Private sale will yield the biggest return.
Some shops offer consignment sales where they get a percentage of the sell price. Depending on the firearm, this can take a while and be prepared for lots of phone calls asking if you will accept less than asking price.
If you sell them directly to a gun shop you will be lucky to get half of what they are worth. The shop owner has to make a profit and has overhead to pay for.
It's a sellers market right now, so you should be able to get a decent price and sell for a fair price as well.

I'm not real familiar with clubs in the area, but Taunton comes to mind. If you just want to spend a day shooting, head over to AFS in Attleboro and pay the fee to rent a lane. If you become a green member here, I bet you will find someone willing to let you shoot at their club as a guest.

First, I am sorry for your loss. No matter what the circumstances are, losing a parent sucks.
It should be a pretty painless process to transfer ownership. Find a good FFL and give him a call. I have been pretty happy with Shooting Supply in Westport and think he might be a member here.
If you do decide to sell some of the collection, you should consider selling them here on NES in the classifieds. You will have to go GREEN but you will quickly cover that expense with the first sale. Private sale will yield the biggest return.
Some shops offer consignment sales where they get a percentage of the sell price. Depending on the firearm, this can take a while and be prepared for lots of phone calls asking if you will accept less than asking price.
If you sell them directly to a gun shop you will be lucky to get half of what they are worth. The shop owner has to make a profit and has overhead to pay for.
It's a sellers market right now, so you should be able to get a decent price and sell for a fair price as well.

I'm not real familiar with clubs in the area, but Taunton comes to mind. If you just want to spend a day shooting, head over to AFS in Attleboro and pay the fee to rent a lane. If you become a green member here, I bet you will find someone willing to let you shoot at their club as a guest.

Fencer, I appreciate this response very much, thank you for that sentiment, it is never easy and not something anyone should deal with but unfortunately that is life, no stopping the hand of time.

Without getting too in-depth, my issue I think will be the shear, um....volume of them. I get the process, but @ $20/per transfer, I'm looking at roughly $4K-6K worth of transfer fees. Let alone shuttling them there. It is quickly becoming a logistics issue, and hoping the terminology in the will allows the executor to directly bequeath them and possibly avoid that.

I am going to get membership here for that reason, thank you for reminding me of the classifieds here. There are some shops here he worked with, but I'd prefer to list them personally I think, there is something nice about going through his stuff and cataloging it, as he always talked about doing it but never did. If there are 4 FTF transfers allowed/year, is there also a limit on the number of sales through an FFL that an individual can conduct/year?

Also, just to put this out there as I have no idea, are bulk sales limited? Ex., if I find a shop I want to work with, can they make a bulk purchase all at once or are there restrictions on that?

Sorry for your loss.

If you are the heir to his collection, either by his will or via intestate succession . . . STAY FAR AWAY from any FFLs on this. Guns NOT on the EOPS List plus meeting the AG Regs (where you can't prove they meet both grandfather clauses in the law and AG Regs) will NOT BE TRANSFERABLE by an FFL!! FFLs are NOT required by MGL for inheritance but almost every PD (and many too many here) will push you in that direction!

And there you have it Mr. @turbolovah . Advice like Len S just gave us all for free is why I come to NES. And if it comes from him, you can take it to the bank.

It looks like an FFL is a bad idea. And you are the proud owner of a firearms collection.
One can only assume that a collection like yours is acquired over a number of years? Many are probably eligible as a C&R? You might want to take a look at this other piece of advice that we got from Len.

Oh yeah, and..
guns? What guns?

It sounds like your Dad enjoyed collecting. My Dad died when I was young and had a few guns, but his biggest collection was probably children! He had 8 kids ( that we know of ).
Sounds like your Dad was our kind of guy.

And there you have it Mr. @turbolovah . Advice like Len S just gave us all for free is why I come to NES. And if it comes from him, you can take it to the bank.

It looks like an FFL is a bad idea. And you are the proud owner of a firearms collection.
One can only assume that a collection like yours is acquired over a number of years? Many are probably eligible as a C&R? You might want to take a look at this other piece of advice that we got from Len.

Oh yeah, and..

It sounds like your Dad enjoyed collecting. My Dad died when I was young and had a few guns, but his biggest collection was probably children! He had 8 kids ( that we know of ).
Sounds like your Dad was our kind of guy.

Im sorry for your lose while you were young, it's never easy no matter what age. He was man, he really was. I was huge into it as a kid, but faded when cars/women came around, and always regretted that. The sheer amount of knowledge he possessed and his ability to tear town and repair firearms was remarkable, and while he taught me well, I could have garnered so much more if I had just paid attention.

He was the biggest gun enthusiast I know. We often didn't see eye to eye on politics, but we were always on the same side when it came to 2A, it was our common denominator.

Thank you for that info Fencer, absolutely going to look into that as it sounds like that is exactly what I want to do.

Good to know there are good people here willing to help, thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the Berkshires and awaiting my LTC any day now. I've been into firearms for years, and have gone to the range quite a bit. Looking forward to improving my skills and knowledge on this forum. I've read a lot on here before joining. I have gotten some great information from here, especially while applying for my LTC.

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the Berkshires and awaiting my LTC any day now. I've been into firearms for years, and have gone to the range quite a bit. Looking forward to improving my skills and knowledge on this forum. I've read a lot on here before joining. I have gotten some great information from here, especially while applying for my LTC.

Welcome! Lots of good folks here. Enjoy!@

Back
Top Bottom