• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident RI permit.

El Prez was most helpful. He's even putting it on the club calendar and reserving the ideal shooting pit for us.
  • There is a black powder event on the rifle range that day. Drive slow, do not park at the rifle range, and be nice to any black power attendee if they speak to you.
  • Free for club members; $20 for non-HSA members (money goes to the club, not me), checks or ca$h.
Rob,
(1) How will I identify black power attendees and (2) do you need us to register or just show up?

Rob,
(1) How will I identify black power attendees and (2) do you need us to register or just show up?
They'll be dressed up like black powder guys, shooting guns that emit a lot of smoke, and occupying the 100 yard rifle range with the 100yard wide covered shooting area. Go past that and turn to the right to get to the pistol pits. We will be using the far pit (#6).

Just show up.

I will plan on being there also. Can anybody direct me to the application for Pistol Permit for the town of East Greenwich? I just spent 20 minutes on the town websites and located everything under the sun including 2 forms to apply for Private Detective but no pistol permit application. I really don't want to bother Holly just to point me to the application.
Is EG still doing the phone lottery system? Last I heard, which was about a year ago, you had to call in on a specific day of the month and if you got through then you could start the process. It was my understanding that EG was only doing about 20 non-res permits per month and the phone line was busy within seconds of it being open for calls.

I'm in.

El Prez was most helpful. He's even putting it on the club calendar and reserving the ideal shooting pit for us.

View attachment 656662

It's too complicated to get a group of 10 or so (I have a few people from the club coming), to all agree on a date/time so I just picked a time that works.

Here goes:
  • Hopkinton Sportsmens, Hopkinton MA (www.hsasports.com for directions), 10AM Saturday 9/10
  • You can drive in or walk, but go past the rifle range and take a right
  • There is a black powder event on the rifle range that day. Drive slow, do not park at the rifle range, and be nice to any black power attendee if they speak to you.
  • Free for club members; $20 for non-HSA members (money goes to the club, not me), checks or ca$h.
  • Bring your handgun and at least 30 rounds. I always let people check after the first 5 shots to make sure they are on target, and we can do a restart
  • RI limits you to carrying calibers no larger than that on your carry permit
  • Bring ID so I can verify and sign form. Does not need to be LTC.
  • Targets provided
  • Two attempts max. This is a qualification event, not a coaching/training event.

View attachment 656662

It's too complicated to get a group of 10 or so (I have a few people from the club coming), to all agree on a date/time so I just picked a time that works.

Here goes:
  • Hopkinton Sportsmens, Hopkinton MA (www.hsasports.com for directions), 10AM Saturday 9/10
  • You can drive in or walk, but go past the rifle range and take a right
  • Bring your handgun and at least 30 rounds. I always let people check after the first 5 shots to make sure they are on target, and we can do a restart
  • RI limits you to carrying calibers no larger than that on your carry permit
  • Bring ID so I can verify and sign form. Does not need to be LTC.
  • Targets provided
  • Two attempts max. This is a qualification event, not a coaching/training event.
Anyone planning to attend should also make sure they bring the correct page from their application that Rob will need to fill out. I don't think all RI police stations use the exact same page as the AG's Office. Might even want to print out a spare copy.

It's been more than a few times when I met someone to do a qual and they "forgot" to bring their application for me to complete.

I will plan on being there also. Can anybody direct me to the application for Pistol Permit for the town of East Greenwich? I just spent 20 minutes on the town websites and located everything under the sun including 2 forms to apply for Private Detective but no pistol permit application. I really don't want to bother Holly just to point me to the application.
Walk into E. Greenwich PD. They have the package in a stack at the front desk.

Talked to Holly Zenga in East Greenwich this morning. They are still doing telephone lottery. I believe it is the first Wednesday of the month at 9:00 AM. They process 25 applications a month. After processing all the East Greenwich applications they will go through the telephone messages and contact however many people they have slots for. The interviews are scheduled for the following month. If you don't get called then you just have to try again the next month.

FYI. I;m having second thoughts now that I find you need 3 NOTARIZED letters of recommendation. Tough enough to get my own signature notarized that I expect 3 other people to visit notaries for their signatures (which usually requires payment doesn't it?). It's just bulls--t to prevent people from applying

Talked to Holly Zenga in East Greenwich this morning. They are still doing telephone lottery. I believe it is the first Wednesday of the month at 9:00 AM. They process 25 applications a month. After processing all the East Greenwich applications they will go through the telephone messages and contact however many people they have slots for. The interviews are scheduled for the following month. If you don't get called then you just have to try again the next month.

FYI. I;m having second thoughts now that I find you need 3 NOTARIZED letters of recommendation. Tough enough to get my own signature notarized that I expect 3 other people to visit notaries for their signatures (which usually requires payment doesn't it?). It's just bulls--t to prevent people from applying

Thanks for the update re the phone lottery. I tried it two months in a row a couple of years ago and the line was busy at 09:00:01 and I never ended up getting through so went back to Johnston and paid the $300.

Most banks have notaries on staff and provide the service for free, if that helps. I get asked for letters of recommendation all the time and just run to my bank and have them notarized - and when I need them every four years I don't have a problem w/ people returning the favor.

Thanks for the update re the phone lottery. I tried it two months in a row a couple of years ago and the line was busy at 09:00:01 and I never ended up getting through so went back to Johnston and paid the $300.

Most banks have notaries on staff and provide the service for free, if that helps. I get asked for letters of recommendation all the time and just run to my bank and have them notarized - and when I need them every four years I don't have a problem w/ people returning the favor.
Banks provide notary services for their customers. It's a big ask for 3 people. Maybe if I was a RI resident and my friends were used to requiring multiple notarised letter every renewal period (which is COMPLETE BS) we might accommodate each other.

For some reason the Cranston application appears to say that the Notary must be in Rhode Island. That might be a problem.
So do the AG and the East Greewich applications. I was assuming it was not required to be RI. The notary would just cross out RI and insert the state they were licensed in.

Foster is perfectly fine. You’ll have absolutely zero issues.

just follow their instructions to a T (duplicate first page stapled to a manilla folder. If you live outside of Rhode Island and have an out-of-state license, you will also have no issues whatsoever.

If you live in Rhode Island but do not have a residence or a place of business in foster they are going to ask why you did not apply to the other licensing authority where you reside or work.

OK so this is VERY interesting. I went to the Foster RI police website and they have a 7 page form that requires notarization of 2 pages. They do not require letters of reference, they just require name, address, phone # of 3 references and that is one of the pages to be notarized!!!! They also require that you fill out their qualification score page. I have not read ever little detail but it appears that they will accept the forms by mail and you need to show up in person to get the license if issued.

I'm definitely going to look into this option further.

So do the AG and the East Greewich applications. I was assuming it was not required to be RI. The notary would just cross out RI and insert the state they were licensed in.
I have been renewing my RI AG issued permit since 1992 (well, 1992 was original issue) and never had a problem with MA notarizations.

My thought is that it's just an assumption on their part that most of the applicants will be from RI so they put in Rhode Island. When it comes to that, I'll cross that out and let the Notary fill in the information.

I have been renewing my RI AG issued permit since 1992 (well, 1992 was original issue) and never had a problem with MA notarizations.

Banks provide notary services for their customers. It's a big ask for 3 people. Maybe if I was a RI resident and my friends were used to requiring multiple notarised letter every renewal period (which is COMPLETE BS) we might accommodate each other.
I have never had a problem with it and I'm a MA resident.

Notarizations are not a problem, though I have found that financial institutions tend to refuse to notarize anything related to real estate. Middlesex bank has a blanket prohibition, and Fidelity would not notarize a 6D for me. Some banks will even to it for non-customers.

AAA does it for free. UPS stores do it for about $10 or $15.

Medallion signature guarantees are a different matter, since the bank financially guarantees the authenticity of the signature. These are generally available only to customers, and are completely irrelevant to LTC issues - just be sure to be clear to the bank that you need Notarization, not signature guarantee, and you will be fine.

I have never had a problem with it and I'm a MA resident.
Apparently, you have more friends than I do. Or at least more friends with spare time on their hands. But just out of curiosity how many times have you had to ask people for notarized letters of recommendation? I've had to do several things that required letters of recommendation, including contract work for the Federal Government and they never had to be notarized.

OK so this is VERY interesting. I went to the Foster RI police website and they have a 7 page form that requires notarization of 2 pages. They do not require letters of reference, they just require name, address, phone # of 3 references and that is one of the pages to be notarized!!!! They also require that you fill out their qualification score page. I have not read ever little detail but it appears that they will accept the forms by mail and you need to show up in person to get the license if issued.

I'm definitely going to look into this option further.

If I recall, the Johnston application requires a notarized signature by the applicant at the end, plus notarized recommendation letters. Or maybe it was just reference names last time, I forget.

The qualification score page is completed and signed by an NRA certified instructor or Police Range Officer.

Foster requires the applicant sig to be notarized as well as the ID copies submitted to be notarized (I'm doing a qual certification for someone who just provided me w/ Foster application).

Apparently, you have more friends than I do. Or at least more friends with spare time on their hands. But just out of curiosity how many times have you had to ask people for notarized letters of recommendation? I've had to do several things that required letters of recommendation, including contract work for the Federal Government and they never had to be notarized.

Apparently I must. I believe I have had at least six notarized rec letters written for me. I have signed (and had notarized) well more than that so that may be a factor?

If I recall, the Johnston application requires a notarized signature by the applicant at the end, plus notarized recommendation letters. Or maybe it was just reference names last time, I forget.

The qualification score page is completed and signed by an NRA certified instructor or Police Range Officer.

Foster requires the applicant sig to be notarized as well as the ID copies submitted to be notarized (I'm doing a qual certification for someone who just provided me w/ Foster application).
Notaries generally have a "True and correct copy" stamp they apply next to their notarization signature. I had a bank refuse my copies and made their own to give me as that was how they could assure truness and correctness. Easy for any notary to do. Remember to bring the original item you are having the copy of notarized with you.

I you stop to think about it, a Notary Public may effect a notarial act only within the state by which he was commissioned. So if the papers were signed in Massachusetts, they could only be "notarized" by a Massachusetts Notary. I've never researched the issue (and don't intend to), but I think of a state refused to accept the effectiveness of a notarial act performed by a Notary Public in another state, there might be a problem under the Full Faith and Credit clause.

But the bottom line is that so far as I am aware, the issue has never arisen.

Notaries generally have a "True and correct copy" stamp they apply next to their notarization signature. I had a bank refuse my copies and made their own to give me as that was how they could assure truness and correctness. Easy for any notary to do. Remember to bring the original item you are having the copy of notarized with you.
I was a notary for years. Whenever someone wanted a notarized copy I made the copy.

I you stop to think about it, a Notary Public may effect a notarial act only within the state by which he was commissioned. So if the papers were signed in Massachusetts, they could only be "notarized" by a Massachusetts Notary. I've never researched the issue (and don't intend to), but I think of a state refused to accept the effectiveness of a notarial act performed by a Notary Public in another state, there might be a problem under the Full Faith and Credit clause.

But the bottom line is that so far as I am aware, the issue has never arisen.
Since notarizations are done in person, it would be quite a reach to bring in an out of state notary to notarize a document in MA. Not only not legal, but just plain silly.

People are overthinking it. Just cross out Rhode Island and write the state name. Or just cross it out and don‘t replace anyway as notary stamps have the state on them.

Notaries can‘t notarize a document outside of their state of commission.

Back
Top Bottom