• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Resident RI permit.

For people who live in driving distance to Rhode Island, consider applying to Exeter.

They don’t require letters but you need 2 fingerprint cards and you have to send them to the FBI and have them mail the results directly to the Exeter town clerk.

Exeter doesn’t have a police department so the Town Clerk is the Licensing Authority.

Their application is on their website and it’s pretty self-explanatory.

People are overthinking it. Just cross out Rhode Island and write the state name. Or just cross it out and don‘t replace anyway as notary stamps have the state on them.

Notaries can‘t notarize a document outside of their state of commission.

Exactly. Many documents have the home state listed in the notary section and sometimes people have the docs notarized in another State. When I was a notary (for ten years) I'd just cross it out & wrote in MA whenever I notarized something that had another State appearing on the form. Same w/ my RI LTC applications. Not once has it been a problem, RI PDs don't require that on top of everything else, the Notary must be in RI. It's a non-resident application FFS, they expect people from other states to complete them.

Exactly. Many documents have the home state listed in the notary section and sometimes people have the docs notarized in another State. When I was a notary (for ten years) I'd just cross it out & wrote in MA whenever I notarized something that had another State appearing on the form. Same w/ my RI LTC applications. Not once has it been a problem, RI PDs don't require that on top of everything else, the Notary must be in RI. It's a non-resident application FFS, they expect people from other states to complete them.
People would have a better understanding if they approached the baseline by using appropriate terms.

RI doesn’t have a “non-resident” license. Very few states do. MA is one of a small handful of states that have a “non-resident” license issued under a different section.

RI has 3 licenses

11-47-11(a)
11-47-18(a)
11-47-18(b)

They use antiquated and sloppy applications because its’s RI, the capitol of incompetence and laziness.… that’s all there is to it.

Many applications have the Qual on a page that doesn’t even have the applicants name on it.

Many applications have the notary section split between two pages.

Just apply people…. None of us have crystal balls and we can’t tell anyone exactly what a bureaucrat will do. We can only tell you what we went through and what applicants we know went through.

I read it as 2 different licensed, but 11-14-18 a/b provide two different justification for the issuance of a license by the AG.
Correct. They are such minor differences. The only 2 differences that aren’t applicable to anyone here are

1. you don’t need proper showing of need under 18(b).

2. you don’t have to be 21+. It has happened to where an 18 or 19 year old cop got disabled on the job and they were retired (Big scandal in Providence back in the early 90’s).

Now, there are two big differences.

1. school carry
2. possession of normal capacity magazines.

And they will continue to make 11-47-18(b) more relevant as the state passes scary looking rifle bans and tons of places off limits…. It’s coming.

I never brought up the old differences because it’s irrelevant information to just about anyone on the forum.

Is there a difference in the actual license, or does 18(b) just list statutory immunities to LEOs?
11-47-18(b)

All state police officers and permanent members of city and town police forces of this state who have retired in good standing after at least twenty (20) years of service, or retired in good standing due to a physical disability other than a psychological impairment, may be issued a license or permit by the attorney general subject to the provisions of §§ 11-47-12 and 11-47-15. The term "in good standing" means that at the time of retirement, the police officer was not facing disciplinary action that could have resulted in his or her termination for misconduct or unfitness for office. Any member of the licensing authority, and its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

As far as the licensing statute reads, the only requirements for (b) are.

1. The AG decides to issue.
2. They pay the $40
3. They shoot the Army-L
4. They retired from an enumerated PD.

Number 3 is interesting because the AG application has an option of the RI Combat Course which is the annual police qualification; however, that can’t be used for a Pistol Permit, but they just accept it And historically they always have since 11-47-18 was brought under the permit duration and shooting course.

Historically, the licenses looked exactly the same. You couldn’t tell the difference by looking at one.

I’d imagine that they are updated due to the magazine ban and 11-47-60 (school ban) explicitly only exempting 11-47-18(b) licenses.

All the retired cops I know from RI are either deceased or they live out of state and don’t even bother with a RI license, but if I come across a newly issued one, I’ll let you know.

A good friend carries a "RI License to act as a police officer" dated from the 60s with no expiration date. I wonder if that would work as a RI carry permit?

Other than including a copy of my 03 C&R and mentioning collecting, is anything special needed in the reason for issue letter? Would "All Lawful Purposes" be acceptable?

I wonder if a reason letter is still viable since Bruen, but that's a different story.

A good friend carries a "RI License to act as a police officer" dated from the 60s with no expiration date. I wonder if that would work as a RI carry permit?
No.

11-47-17

Except as provided in § 11-47-15.3, all law enforcement officers of this state and its political subdivisions whose permanent appointment shall take place after June 17, 1959, will be required to qualify with the pistol or revolver with which they are armed prior to their permanent appointment, that qualification to be the same as that required in § 11-47-15. Townconstables or police constables, special officers, and all law enforcement officers, who by law are authorized to carry side arms and whose appointments are made on a recurring basis, will be required to qualify not later than one year following the date of enactment of this section and their commissions or warrants will be plainly marked or stamped “QUALIFIED WITH PISTOL OR REVOLVER” and will be signed and dated by the certifying authority attesting to that fact. The failure of any law enforcement officer to qualify under the provisions of this section revokes his or her privilege of carrying a pistol or revolver, whether concealed or not, on or about his or her person. All law enforcement officers of this state and its political subdivisions will repeat this qualification at periods of not more than one year, except for correctional officers who must repeat this qualification every two (2) years.

He would have to Qual every year and have his license endorsed.

I’m also guessing the issuing PD has no record of this license.

Other than including a copy of my 03 C&R and mentioning collecting, is anything special needed in the reason for issue letter? Would "All Lawful Purposes" be acceptable?

I wonder if a reason letter is still viable since Bruen, but that's a different story.
Just put unrestricted transport, gun collector, and Self-defense pursuant to the Supreme Court decision NYSPRA v Bruen (2022).

I’d even just consider putting the self-defense blurb.

No.

11-47-17

Except as provided in § 11-47-15.3, all law enforcement officers of this state and its political subdivisions whose permanent appointment shall take place after June 17, 1959, will be required to qualify with the pistol or revolver with which they are armed prior to their permanent appointment, that qualification to be the same as that required in § 11-47-15. Townconstables or police constables, special officers, and all law enforcement officers, who by law are authorized to carry side arms and whose appointments are made on a recurring basis, will be required to qualify not later than one year following the date of enactment of this section and their commissions or warrants will be plainly marked or stamped “QUALIFIED WITH PISTOL OR REVOLVER” and will be signed and dated by the certifying authority attesting to that fact. The failure of any law enforcement officer to qualify under the provisions of this section revokes his or her privilege of carrying a pistol or revolver, whether concealed or not, on or about his or her person. All law enforcement officers of this state and its political subdivisions will repeat this qualification at periods of not more than one year, except for correctional officers who must repeat this qualification every two (2) years.

He would have to Qual every year and have his license endorsed.

I’m also guessing the issuing PD has no record of this license.
Thanks - good info.

I would like to get an idea of how many to expect. If you plan on attending, please PM me "in" or "in-#" if you are bringing a group.

Nobody will be turned away if they don't PM in advance, but I'm trying to get an idea of the number so I can set up the proper logistics (number of shooting positions, target stands, etc.)

EG is friendly but you have to get through the phone lottery. You call on a prescribed day of the month and the first 20 that get in are scheduled for an interview. The process is pretty long, at least six months from what I'm hearing. No $300 AFAIK

Johnston is also very friendly, no phone lottery, they do charge $300. The turnaround for my "renewal" was 2 1/2 mos from when I mailed it to when I received it. I sent in the application via mail and they called and left a message when they received the packed and again when they mailed it out. They say they don't really do it as a renewal, they process it as another new application but I do have the feeling mine was quicker because I already had one w/ them.
@Buck F
Did you go to RI to get your application? I’m looking on Johnston’s website, but don’t see anything related to FA

@Buck F
Did you go to RI to get your application? I’m looking on Johnston’s website, but don’t see anything related to FA
You have to call them, they'll let you know if pick up in person or they can send it to you. The first time I did it I had to go pick it up in person, the second time they emailed it to me. It used to be that most PDs would want you to come in and pick up the application, not sure if that has changed. I haven't seen any of them provide the application via download, you need to call the departments and ask for it.

Cranston has a downloadable fillable PDF.

You have to call them, they'll let you know if pick up in person or they can send it to you. The first time I did it I had to go pick it up in person, the second time they emailed it to me. It used to be that most PDs would want you to come in and pick up the application, not sure if that has changed. I haven't seen any of them provide the application via download, you need to call the departments and ask for it.

The qualification is ON for tomorrow 9/10 at Hopkinton Sportsmens (directions at www.hsasports.com) at 10AM.

You will need ID (DL, LTC, etc.); a handgun and 30 rounds of ammo. RI law limits carry to the caliber listed on your permit or smaller, so bring out your Desert Eagle 50AE, S&W 500 or whatever caliber you want listed on your license.

Well, we had all both people show up for the qualification. Went very smoothly.
this is exactly why attorney’s and individuals who used to be involved in the 2A movement in RI no longer bother.

It’s mostly old FUDD types who are experts at complaining activism. It’s a skilled tactic you may not be familiar with, it’s where they hang around gun shops all day, drinking all the coffee while not doing anything to push the envelope at all.

Thank you for offering your services to people. Out of curiosity, what towns are the 2 applicants applying to?

this is exactly why attorney’s and individuals who used to be involved in the 2A movement in RI no longer bother.

It’s mostly old FUDD types who are experts at complaining activism. It’s a skilled tactic you may not be familiar with, it’s where they hang around gun shops all day, drinking all the coffee while not doing anything to push the envelope at all.

Thank you for offering your services to people. Out of curiosity, what towns are the 2 applicants applying to?
It is not my business to mention the towns, since one of the persons already identified himself on this forum and I would regard that information as his, not mine, to give.

To paraphrase something he mentioned, it's law school, not lawyer school. :)

I learned about half dozen S&W repair tips from RKG during our conversation. His advice about my light primer strike issue was spot on. I just have to get to the range and test fire to make sure I corrected it.

BTW, you shot a hell of a score today.

RKG makes me want to go to law school. Brilliant guy.

Back
Top Bottom