• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's in your GSW/First Aid Kit?

+1 This.

Adventure Medical Kits sell pre-made kits, as well as Dark Angel Medical, ITS, Live The Creed, Bear Independent, and on and on and on...

Personally, I like the Dark Angel kits because they have been in the game a long time, and have practiced trauma medicine. Additionally, they guarantee their kits to replace any items you use, and they offer training as well (although they do not offer a “certification”).

Building a kit can sometimes be less expensive, other times way more costly if you chose to build a very robust kit with only the highest-end components. The best part about building your own kit is it forces you to think about every piece of equipment you are putting in it, and why you want/need it.

I like the Bass Pro/Cabelas dry boxes for a home-made trauma kit. This is not an IFAK to carry on me, but for disaster preparedness. This is in addition to the daily first aid kit for scrapes and bruises my kid often gets.

9E4ABC08-66FE-4337-8F22-9CF29DC4C66C.jpeg

Right now, my "kit" consists of a bandaid in my wallet, some sun screen and bug spray in the car door pocket; maybe some water to clean up and some electrical tape.

I wouldn't know where to put this if I had one, and how to keep it clean and safe from getting bumped around.

Flexible Spending Account.

So you can get reimbursed for the purchase so it is made with pre-tax dollars. (Assuming you contribute to your FSA through work)
Ah, OK.

I have one of those, but it gets spent halfway through the year. $2500 goes quick when you have 4 people with teeth, braces, a surgery or two, glasses, prescriptions, etc.

Right now, my "kit" consists of a bandaid in my wallet, some sun screen and bug spray in the car door pocket; maybe some water to clean up and some electrical tape.

I wouldn't know where to put this if I had one, and how to keep it clean and safe from getting bumped around.

Roger that. I also keep a couple of bandaids in the wallet, sunscreen, bug spray electrical tape and water in the car.

I also keep a SWATT, quickclot and a pair of nitrile gloves on me at all times (other back pocket to balance out the wallet). In my driver’s side car door I have a SOFF-T and a pair of trauma shears, and in the trunk I keep additional med gear.

My “disaster kit” lives in my front hallway closet so it quickest to the door if I need it, and the family first aid kit lives in the bathroom under the sink. I keep an IFAK in my work laptop bag, as well as an IFAK with my range bag and a few others around as needed.

My personal philosophy of “preparedness” is built around the concept of layers, so I try to always keep some minimal FA items on me at all times, even if it is just a bound aid in the wallet.

I’d be pleased to discuss my setup more either through PM or this thread. But I realize one person’s idea of prepared is not someone else’s. My setup works for me and my level of training as a First Responder and my time is SAR.

Last edited:
Two pairs of nitrile gloves in my back pocket.
Combat Application Tourniquet in cargo pocket.

Ryker Ankle First Aid Kit:
- seat belt cutter.
- SWAT-T.
- mini EMT shears.
- two HyFin Chest Seals.
- two 3"x 4 yard rolled gauze.
- one old school USGI pressure bandage.
- Arclite Cuda.

Ryker_Ankle_IFAK_w_Knife_resize.jpg

For GSW I use a trauma kit: hyfin vent chest seals, tourniquet, clotting bandage, shears. In my range bag and/or car.

For my home first aid kit (which I would put in a car if going to an event, but I rarely do), I have one of those prebuilt EMT kits with some additional trauma items, items are staged so I can stop bleeding from a shop injury long enough to get to a phone (if I'm not carrying it, which I usually do) and call an ambulance. Something like this.

I have the routine "first aid" stuff in separate kit that's at least 10 years old, that I really should go back and refresh.

As for training, I've had various trauma classes a long time ago, and more recently BLS and was ready to get ALS (at the beginning of covid, when it seemed like covid was really a problem). Also, got an education-by-osmosis by flashcarding my ex (and reading all her books and notes when she wasn't studying them) while she was in RN school. Honestly, I knew most of the stuff from prior reading, but I was glad not to have to take the tests.

I have multiple first aid kits in cars home etc and had a trauma kit i built in my car.
last week i was removing some glass in a custom shower. Something i have done hundreds of times. The piece of glass shattered and cut right threw my pants and cut the top of my boots. 15 stitches in my leg and a realization my the first aid kit i had was useless and i needed another trauma kit.
Went through my old kit and some of it was expired so needed to replace stuff too. Just bought this from dark angel D.A.R.K. Trauma Kit . Now i have two trauma kits and need some training cause i couldnt remember how half the stuff was used.

mymedic.com is fsa hsa friendly also govx friendly and they do have sales 3 to 4 times a year like 50 percent off or better
I only buy the advanced premade kits they also have youtube videos unpacking the kits and showing recommended use of some of the items.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsTt6_8rQ8&ab_channel=MyMedic

Range medic for gsw

FAK original they have a new larger FAK

This beast is great for away from quick help or multiple people

Bag of chips anyone?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/BreannaMorello/status/1416409395253108738

Mylar packaging has its uses improvising in an emergency.

That’s a great video of an improvised cheat seal — I actually keep an empty bag of the chocolate covered pretzel snacks in my Stop the Bleed Instructor Kit for exactly that purpose — to demonstrate that improvised items can be used in an emergency exactly like that.

No offense, but that Quick Colt “Trauma Pack” is hot garbage. Please don’t bet your life on that… if you were to accidentally slip with a circular saw and partially amputate a finger, that QC Trauma Pack *might* work to help control the bleeding; however if you were to slip with a chainsaw or suffer a GSW you would be sadly ill prepared.

I actually keep one of those QC Trauma Packs in my teaching supplies as well as a product to stay away from. There is so much better gear out there (whether you build your own kit or buy a prepackaged commercial IFAK) please please please do not use or recommend the QC Trauma Pack to anyone.

That’s a great video of an improvised cheat seal — I actually keep an empty bag of the chocolate covered pretzel snacks in my Stop the Bleed Instructor Kit for exactly that purpose — to demonstrate that improvised items can be used in an emergency exactly like that.

No offense, but that Quick Colt “Trauma Pack” is hot garbage. Please don’t bet your life on that… if you were to accidentally slip with a circular saw and partially amputate a finger, that QC Trauma Pack *might* work to help control the bleeding; however if you were to slip with a chainsaw or suffer a GSW you would be sadly ill prepared.

I actually keep one of those QC Trauma Packs in my teaching supplies as well as a product to stay away from. There is so much better gear out there (whether you build your own kit or buy a prepackaged commercial IFAK) please please please do not use or recommend the QC Trauma Pack to anyone.
When/where do you instruct?? I really need to get my stuff together and take some classes on making and fixing holes.

Can you recommend a better kit? You criticized the QC Trauma Packs earlier on the thread and came back to more strongly recommend against them in response to my post but didn't make a suggestion as to what would be a better kit to purchase.

Can you recommend a better kit? You criticized the QC Trauma Packs earlier on the thread and came back to more strongly recommend against them in response to my post but didn't make a suggestion as to what would be a better kit to purchase.
Valid. I’d be pleased to offer a few recommendations, but first let me tell you why I don’t like the QC Trauma Paks —

primarily, I think they are marketing based off of their Quick Clot branding/reputation. The Combat Gauze is a great product and highly recommended, but there are many different Quick Clot gauze products. There are different lengths of the gauze and if someone doesn’t take time to realize the difference, they could be poorly prepared for real trauma. The Quick Colt in the Trauma Pak is only a small 25g sponge, it is not the same as the Combat Gauze that is 4 YARDS in length. Other items in the pack are standard 4x4 and 2x2 dressings, nitrile gloves (1 pair), 2” wide duct tape, 3” wide conforming gauze and a few other items. Most guys buy this kit thinking they are getting Quick Clot, but not all Quick Clot is equal… this is what you are getting in the Trauma Pak.

As for recommended companies, I have a few I personally like, but I also assemble my own. I like Dark Angel Medical because they warranty their kits — if you ever use it, the will replace the components for free. The Blue Force Gear Kits are excellent, I also like the Live the Creed products, and the Phokus Research under the plate kits are sleek also and the Bear Independent kits look promising because they mostly use the North American Rescue (NAR) components. That said, NAR also has kits that are great, but a little pricey.

If you build your own kit, you can save some cash and get as much high-quality gear as you want — but gear without training is only a little better than no gear at all.

here are two of the kits I built:

8AEE7A4B-94E7-4B12-8CC9-5E92F82E5D84.jpeg

That’s a Cabela’s dry box packed with all sorts of trauma goodies. Splinting materials are in their own separate mesh bag on top so I can triage and get to them first, or set them all aside if I don’t need them.

I carry this kit on me every day:
image.jpg

That is a SWAT-T wrapped around Quick Clot Combat Gauze LE and a pair of nitrile gloves. I can quickly tourniquet a limb, then apply the gloves to myself and pack a wound with the Quick Clot.

I didn’t mean to come off as a d*ck sh*ttin on the Trauma Pak, I just fell very strongly they are of little value. God forbid there is a car accident and someone you care about is injured and bleeding out, I’d hate to think all someone may have is one of those kits.

If you buy real Combat Gauze and a high-quality tourniquet like a CAT or SOF-T and a pair of nitrile gloves and stick them in a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag with 20 feet of duct tape, you’ll have a basic kit much better than the Trauma Pak.

Edit, I’m ok with the Rats tourniquet also — although not TCCC/TECC approved, they adjust to very small limbs and are better than an improvised tourniquet. Just be aware of knockoff CAT and Rats tourniquets that you can find online. They’re garbage too.

Last edited:
In my RANGE BAG? Bandaids. Not sure if I even have Neosporin. Wow. I guess I'd use some electrical tape from the car, or make a belt into a tourniquet. Never really considered this. Are you just talking about a "regular" range, or is this some sort of military thing?
There's a reason I have to wear armor on the range by policy: It's the one place there is guaranteed to be rounds going off.

Look around your range, if you see evidence of bullet impacts where there shouldn't be (ie: anywhere besides the backstop), that means someone put a round uprange. I'd suggest at least a TQ in your bag somewhere. Unless you are out in the boonies, you can get to medical attention before a sucking chest wound becomes a major issue (other than the hole in your chest).

Valid. I’d be pleased to offer a few recommendations, but first let me tell you why I don’t like the QC Trauma Paks —

primarily, I think they are marketing based off of their Quick Clot branding/reputation. The Combat Gauze is a great product and highly recommended, but there are many different Quick Clot gauze products. There are different lengths of the gauze and if someone doesn’t take time to realize the difference, they could be poorly prepared for real trauma. The Quick Colt in the Trauma Pak is only a small 25g sponge, it is not the same as the Combat Gauze that is 4 YARDS in length. Other items in the pack are standard 4x4 and 2x2 dressings, nitrile gloves (1 pair), 2” wide duct tape, 3” wide conforming gauze and a few other items. Most guys buy this kit thinking they are getting Quick Clot, but not all Quick Clot is equal… this is what you are getting in the Trauma Pak.

As for recommended companies, I have a few I personally like, but I also assemble my own. I like Dark Angel Medical because they warranty their kits — if you ever use it, the will replace the components for free. The Blue Force Gear Kits are excellent, I also like the Live the Creed products, and the Phokus Research under the plate kits are sleek also and the Bear Independent kits look promising because they mostly use the North American Rescue (NAR) components. That said, NAR also has kits that are great, but a little pricey.

If you build your own kit, you can save some cash and get as much high-quality gear as you want — but gear without training is only a little better than no gear at all.

here are two of the kits I built:

View attachment 503725

That’s a Cabela’s dry box packed with all sorts of trauma goodies. Splinting materials are in their own separate mesh bag on top so I can triage and get to them first, or set them all aside if I don’t need them.

I carry this kit on me every day:
View attachment 503728

That is a SWAT-T wrapped around Quick Clot Combat Gauze LE and a pair of nitrile gloves. I can quickly tourniquet a limb, then apply the gloves to myself and pack a wound with the Quick Clot.

I didn’t mean to come off as a d*ck sh*ttin on the Trauma Pak, I just fell very strongly they are of little value. God forbid there is a car accident and someone you care about is injured and bleeding out, I’d hate to think all someone may have is one of those kits.

If you buy real Combat Gauze and a high-quality tourniquet like a CAT or SOF-T and a pair of nitrile gloves and stick them in a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag with 20 feet of duct tape, you’ll have a basic kit much better than the Trauma Pak.

Edit, I’m ok with the Rats tourniquet also — although not TCCC/TECC approved, they adjust to very small limbs and are better than an improvised tourniquet. Just be aware of knockoff CAT and Rats tourniquets that you can find online. They’re garbage too.
Not that it's a huge improvement, but the photos on the Amazon ad make the QC Trauma Kit look like it has 3"x24" gauze in place of the sponge, now.

Another reason to stay away from this kit, then, if we can't even be sure what's in it.

Buyer beware read the contents enclosed list not the picture on the outside. Marketing likes sexy pictures.
The combat gauze is folded z shape and impregnated with the quick clot in it. The powder is a trick to use as its like getting cocoa powder or coffee grounds into the bleed. Gauze impregnated is much easier to work with.
Word of caution do not get the quick clot into eyes very bad things happen. Another reason for the gauze. Powder too easy to get kicked uo in the wind.

Not that it's a huge improvement, but the photos on the Amazon ad make the QC Trauma Kit look like it has 3"x24" gauze in place of the sponge, now.

Interesting. I stand (*somewhat*) corrected — in fact it seems QC has updated the kit and now includes 24” of impregnated gauze. The new kit has an OD Green color strip on it as opposed to the all black Trauma Paks. That’s a reasonable improvement for the price and probably reasonable for a day hike kit if you were to fall and impale yourself on a branch. I stand by my earlier statement though that this kit is not the best for severe trauma such as a GSW or chainsaw injury or anything with severe hemorrhagic bleeding. I’d still go with Combat Gauze, despite the heavy price tag.

Several places offer holiday sales, so I’d look to pick up the Combat Gauze once on sale in a few months.

There are some different kits being put out some with sponges, some with the combat z gauze some with powder and gauze

I’m not aware of any commercial kits still including granulated hemostatic agent — I know you can still by Celox (as one commercially available product) but I think most commercial kits have gone away from that for the reasons stated.

I’m off to a 2-day TECC course 31July with Diego Readiness of Maine. I’ve taken their 1-day TECC for “civilians” (for lack of a better word) at a F&G and their 4hr First on the Scene (FOTS) as well. Very competent, motivated instructors - former military with extensive experience in the field and great teaching skills.

No website but a FB presence. Google them and find course schedules. They have trunks full of all the gear you’ll run across to try out.

While this course is for EMTs/Paramedics, they are flexible based on venue and sponsoring agency or club on attendees. I’ll be the least qualified going into this course but come out with a lot of new learning - and a better idea of the gap between me and professionals.

Translating military field experience in the Middle East to the US hasn’t been straightforward. While Stop the Bleed (I’m a card-carrying instructor) emphasizes TQ use, a few postmortem studies found that few mass shooting victims in recent high body count events could have been saved by TQs. In the States, we don’t wear body armor and get blown up by IEDs, so massive hemorrhage from limbs is less often a cause of death. We shoot each other with handguns from yards away. Very few survive headshots but survivable toro hits appear to be the opportunity. Our world is usually pre-hospital treatment before rapid transport, so buying minutes before transport is the key. If PD/FD/EMT response and transport is unlikely in a place/situation, all options to buy more time are important.

Case in point, the Hey Jackass Chicago tracker find 95% lethality from head shots, ~40% lethality from toro shots but <3% lethality from arm/leg shots. So carry a TQ but also chest seals and gauze. My lightest pocket kits have seals and gauze removed from vacuum-sealed packaging - I wear alcohol-rinsed gloves to unpack and repack sterile components in vacuum sealed bags. Nobody is going to die from an infection from using such gear, but if a kit is too bulky to always EDC, nobody will be saved with it sitting at home.

Strap the pipe, plug the junctions and seal the box.

FBFF0341-DC5B-45FE-8333-8115A05C7629.jpeg

TECC (Post 82 above) was an excellent course. Nine EMT/Paramedics from police/fire - and me. Day two included exercises deploying from the regional SWAT’s MRAP with their SRT, into a warm zone and treating Rescue Randy and his family with a variety of sustained injuries in active shooting events. Flashbangs, blank rounds, etc., to keep the adrenaline pumping.

0408C08E-B87F-4508-B705-3FF4027AD7E6.jpeg 66D32C4E-4219-43E0-84F4-A26ABD1053AC.jpeg 1A79B54A-9125-4EE1-95FB-7791A0996F57.jpeg

Translating military field experience in the Middle East to the US hasn’t been straightforward. While Stop the Bleed (I’m a card-carrying instructor) emphasizes TQ use, a few postmortem studies found that few mass shooting victims in recent high body count events could have been saved by TQs. In the States, we don’t wear body armor and get blown up by IEDs, so massive hemorrhage from limbs is less often a cause of death. …

That is an important note. However, an exception is terrorist attacks like the Boston Marathon bombing.

I would also wager that there are more extremity GSWs at gun ranges from negligent discharges than other types of wounds. Not as relevant for first responders out and about in town, but very relevant for civilian shooters like those on this forum.

Last edited:
That is an important note. However, an exception is terrorist attacks like the Boston Marathon bombing.
Yep. I had the pleasure of being at Mass General at a hernia repair case when a call came in and they stopped, closed the patient and kicked us out. The doc we were with was the Chief of Trauma and was in the OR 36hr straight. He had a lot of stories to tell when we were next in the OR with him weeks later.

When there are more victims from bombings than mass shootings, the US will be well down a dark path.

One TQ and 2 chest seals are usually in reach, with reinforcements in the trunk. I never had to use either in the US and then only once in the Middle East.

I don't know how many kits I've gotten or been given over the years, and they all seem to boil down to useless crap to carry. I keep an Israeli bandage in my range bag, because I might shoot myself and I know how to use it. In my kid's skateboard bag, I keep a SAM Splint and a couple triangle bandages. Everything else has been tossed.

I do keep a bandana in my back pocket (it's concealed - not a gay thing on display) to blow my nose and clean my glasses (not in that order). That bandana (there are many, I always have a clean one at the start of the day) is my first aid kit. I've used it as a band aid to stop boo-boos from bleeding and messing up my car, I've used it as a splint on a broken ankle, used it as a sling on a broken elbow, as an ace bandage on a twisted ankle and in a pinch I could use it as a tourniquet.

Sure, I know how to use the stuff in the big kits for the most part, but I'm not going to carry it consistently, so it won't be there in an emergency. The bandana will always be there.

Back
Top Bottom