New acquisitions for July 2008

Geez Fred some time you're going to have to show the rest of us where your secret tunnel into Fort Knox is located. [smile]

Seriously though, beautiful guns, That Bren ten is awesome looking!

-James G.

Note to self: ::sribble scribble::Build next AR just like that one

Thanks gentlemen. That is my first AR and I waited till I could afford what I had in my head. If you have to deal with the MA restrictions, you gotta get creative to make it feel like it stands on it's own rather than just being a neutered version of the Free-Stater versions.

Thanks gentlemen. That is my first AR and I waited till I could afford what I had in my head. If you have to deal with the MA restrictions, you gotta get creative to make it feel like it stands on it's own rather than just being a neutered version of the Free-Stater versions.

I was definitely inspired by it to say the least. I ended up picking up a Stag Arms assembled lower up at ZHA yesterday. I really liked the skeleton stock that you put on yours and I found one similar but with even less to it. http://blackrifleworks.com/yankee-hill-machine-skeletonized-stock-yhm9569-p-354.html

I just need to do some figuring on what the upper is going to consist of.

Two more acquisitions for July

So on top of the Chiefs Special and Hi-Standard, I picked up a Remington .22 from my uncle and I stopped by Zero Hour on Saturday morning and left with a Mosin M44 and 100 rounds of non-corrosive 7.62x54R [smile]

Pictures will be up when I get home.

M44

So here's the pic's.

DSC01276.JPG

DSC01277.JPG

DSC01278.JPG

all stamped, numbers matching. quite a few other markings i have yet to figure out.

take it out with us one of these weekends. we have fun with the mosins

I'll have to come out sometime. I just need to strip her down and give 'er a good cleaning. There's not too much cosmo, but I'm sure there's a ton more where I can't see without taking it all apart.

DSC01577.jpg

I found these at a gun store in central mass. One is preban with the bayonet mount. Now i'm just looking for a preban lower. They're colt uppers with a 1/7 twist bored for 223.

Hmmmm, happen to get that M44 at ZHA? I got a sling and ammo pouch just like those.....and wait....oh yea, and a M44 just like that one[smile]

Nope. It wasn't in the box that was provided to me. My only concern would be the dissambly tool. Is it somethin unusual or a common tool? It appears as though the M44 comes apart with normal screwdrivers.

The tool is really only important for setting the depth of the firing pin. Other than that, it's really just a screw driver. You should be able to find the tool on line at any number of sites that sell MilSurps.

Is it somethin unusual or a common tool? It appears as though the M44 comes apart with normal screwdrivers.

It's very common, and you don't really need it. It's just convenient. As you noticed you can disassemble with a screwdriver, and you can set the firing pin with a set of calipers. I was just surprised you didn't get the extra stuff with the guns. I've purchased three different guns from three different places and they all came with all the accessories. I believe CAI, at least, includes them when they sell the guns. So it may have 'walked' between the importer and you.

Chinese SKS Model 56

One of the benefits of being green is that you get stuff at a great deal. I did not know a single thing about SKS' till I purchased this off of flotter390 along with a pre-ban folding stock! Here is a before pic, mine is the one on the bottom of the 2. These pics were taken by flotter390.

SKS1.jpg

If I had known that during the cleaning process I would end up refinishing the entire thing I would have taken more before pics! What a pain in the ass cosmoline is to get out of stuff. Lucky for me, I have a hot box that I use for waxing skis which let me do a low bake on the disassembled SKS. I decided to go with a blonde look and finished off the wood with Tung Oil.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

One of the benefits of being green is that you get stuff at a great deal. I did not know a single thing about SKS' till I purchased this off of flotter390 along with a pre-ban folding stock! Here is a before pic, mine is the one on the bottom of the 2. These pics were taken by flotter390.

I decided to go with a blonde look and finished off the wood with Tung Oil.

Don't take this personally but you devalued a nice collectable SKS.

I know being new to them you didn't know correct finish or restoration, but you can actually return that rifle to semi original by getting rid of the tung oil and adding the correct shellac finish. [wink]

Choosing natural over amber will give you a more blonde look you may desire. That orange like tint comes from years of aging on shellac. Its what gives Mosin Nagants that red hue everyone searches to replicate when they strip a Mosin stock.

Either way, enjoy the rifle and be sure to clean the bolt inside and out so the firing pin rattles when you shake it. I've posted stickies in the surplus section with steps on how to.

Nope. It wasn't in the box that was provided to me. My only concern would be the dissambly tool. Is it somethin unusual or a common tool? It appears as though the M44 comes apart with normal screwdrivers.

Russian soldiers were issued one set of tools to take into combat. It consisted of a small pouch with a canvas tie strap. Inside was a muzzle protector, jag, handle set for the cleaning rod, and take down/firing pin protrusion tool.

100_0749.jpg

100_0751.jpg

These sets normally come with Mosin rifles and are often in a plastic bag and tucked away inside one of the ammo pouch compartments along with a Russian marked oiler in the other.

They're getting harder to find lately it seems, especially since R Guns started importing Mosins.

This purchase prodded me to submit my C&R, so I see more projects down the line.

Milsurps, no offense taken. I debated whether or not I should restore it to original or go blonde. The only reason why I went blonde is because so much shellac came off with the cosmoline during the bake, I liked the natural blonde look of the wood. I think it was more cosmoline than shellac truth be told. I did a lot of reading on surplusrifle.com and read your posts in the C&R section. I found out that later versions of the Chinese SKS were done up blonde. My version based on the SN was one of the orange colored versions though. This is very evident in some of the filler they used on parts of the furniture. Somewhere done the line, I can always refinish it with shellac if I decide to restore it to original. I've also been toying with the idea of trading in the folding stock for another wood stock.

Last edited:
I could have grabbed the oil can, but the tool kit was not in the crate in which the guns came in.

Those pictures of the SKS's make me want one real bad. There's one at the local shop for somethin between 200 and 300. I'm gonna shop around and see what else I can find.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom