• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P3AT. What is close in weight and size?

. That said. I'm thinking a 43x with a red dot may be in my future. Even though. I really like the LC9 feel.
I have a 43x with a red dot. It’s a good gun, but not a pocket gun like a Kahr PM9. It’s a bit bigger than a Kahr K9, which also isn’t a pocket gun. For me, the 43x is a gun I carry in a belt holster. It is noticeably easier to conceal that my 19.

I find it significantly less comfortable to shoot than my Glock 19. It’s lighter and the thinner grip puts the recoil over a small area. It’s no .357 J-frame, but not something I want to put 200 rounds through at a range session. In contrast, I can shoot the 19 all day. TANSTAAFL.

I’m considering checking out a P365 Macro, but also not a pocket gun.

Sig P238? too heavy?

wtf I checked Sig's site and they only list one model of this, a two-tone CA compliant version that's absolutely hideous. maybe there are some nice-looking used ones out there?
Close. Lighten that thing up a bit (alloy?), and it would be a contender.

Now compare it with p365.
Still no contest with the P3AT.

Close. Lighten that thing up a bit (alloy?), and it would be a contender.

Still no contest with the P3AT.
I think the P3AT is the lightest semi-auto you'll find in the .380 category. I have one, it's not the most refined piece, but for me it works flawlessly, and with a belt clip, you can carry it your boxer shorts un-noticed.

for pocket carry coyote defense an 8 shot .22 mag Ruger LCR would be about perfect. Coyote's aren't that tough and .22 mag will more than do the job. Even an 8 or 10 shot .22LR would be fine really.
I was looking for one. Tough to find used, and for the new price, I could just get a .38 while I'm at it.

Consider the relatively new Ruger LCP MAX 380.
Not bad.

For you guys pushing the Glock G43, it is like night and day on the size difference, and half the weight:

View attachment 657088
You're sending mixed signals by posting pics of shoulder rigs and talking about packs etc. 🤣

Just get an LCP/LCP2 a pocket holster and be done with it. There aren't that many other choices that quickly get you into normal gun territory.

You're sending mixed signals by posting pics of shoulder rigs and talking about packs etc.
No, still on the same path/mission. If I can't find a pocket gun that will do, then maybe abandon that idea and go for a different means of carry, and carry a gun I already have that way instead.

I can't be the only one in this situation.

I bought a 642 as well to try pocket carrying it and it just didn’t work for me either. I have to imagine it all depends on what kind of pants your wearing as well. I wear Levi’s and they have medium depth pockets and the revolver patterned to much for me to be comfortable with it. If I wore cargo type pants with deep loose pockets I would bet the 642 would pocket just fine.

I have a 642 and carried it more than any other but I wore it mainly in a Galco ankle holster with a calf strap going to work on the Red line. Nice way to carry if you're in a sitting position as in on the train or in a car. It's also a great pocket carry in the cooler months when I'm in a Peacoat, slips right into the left pocket. Either way, you don't even feel you're carrying. I kept a speed strip in my front pocket. As for pants pocket (non cargo), I always feel like I'm printing.

No, still on the same path/mission. If I can't find a pocket gun that will do, then maybe abandon that idea and go for a different means of carry, and carry a gun I already have that way instead.

There's a number of micro options, perhaps you should visit a well stocked gun shop and see what's available to handle. There's pluses and minuses to each. There is also as many ways to carry which would lead to many other types of firearms. No one gun or one type of carry fits all occasions, you need to decide on what you want in performance and what the best carry option is for your intended purpose.
I wrote earlier that I've been on a micro nine kick. I've also been on a holster kick for each one and the best way, for me, to carry each as they are slightly different in size, weight and for different uses. I like variety but if I had to pick one of the bunch that would fill most every niche it would be a P365 with both a Crossbreed Mini-tuck and a Vedder pocket with the curve and thumb tab.

So, stopped in at R&R today. VERY nice guys there.

Tried a S&W 638 and a 642 and a Ruger LCR, all in .38 SPL. I'll tell you what, that Ruger had a pretty decent trigger from the get-go. The S&W's were a little tougher, but the guys said it would smooth out after a few boxes of ammo through them. They also said the "Pro" version comes with a wooden grip and pre-polished trigger. I also tried the Ruger LCPII in .22. This was also about the same weight, but carried a little more flat. I asked about the LCPII in .380, and he said he can't sell that caliber of this gun in MA, but it is otherwise the same as the .22.

THEN, he said "Let me show you something else." That is when he pulled out the S&W Bodyguard .380, At first, it seemed heavier, but in comparison, I think it was about the same, but just more "nose heavy". Nice little gun, same size roughly as all the others.

Tough decision.

prices:
S&W revolvers: around $500
Ruger LCR, maybe around the same?
Ruger LCPII, ???
S&W bodyguard $389

The BG 380 is literally the worst gun S&W makes. It has a cult following though, mostly among "smith people".
I know, but it was the right size and weight. Not much else fitting those specs that I've seen. I was actually surprised, and did not want to like it. If it were 9mm, I'd own it right now.

In that case, the HPG kit bags are available as either a chest pack or waist pack. You can carry a full frame pistol in the back, and your phone and keys in the front.

9d73daec-34ae-4470-8112-0c1fdb794cb8_1000.jpg

4e79020d-2a31-42fa-bbcc-4c7876a99476_1000.jpg

c1ae9a94-47db-4dfd-b367-5f3acc1717fa_1000.jpg

In that case, the HPG kit bags are available as either a chest pack or waist pack. You can carry a full frame pistol in the back, and your phone and keys in the front.

9d73daec-34ae-4470-8112-0c1fdb794cb8_1000.jpg

4e79020d-2a31-42fa-bbcc-4c7876a99476_1000.jpg

c1ae9a94-47db-4dfd-b367-5f3acc1717fa_1000.jpg

This looks VERY promising. Then I don't need to buy any gun, can carry my "regular" gun, plus spare mags, plus other stuff.

Just looked at the website. This thing looks pretty bulky, big, and hot. Not exactly what I want for a walk around a humid, buggy pond in the summertime.

What screams harder 'I HAVE A GUN IN HERE' than a fanny pack? Think we just found it. lol.
Not as much as the shoulder holsters. Plus, not too many will see it (7 people?), and of THOSE, even fewer would know (2 people), and of THOSE, even fewer would CARE (1 person), and of even fewer (0?) would even think to act or do anything. That's on a busy day there.

Last edited:
I know, but it was the right size and weight. Not much else fitting those specs that I've seen. I was actually surprised, and did not want to like it. If it were 9mm, I'd own it right now.
Wait till you shoot one though. I'd let you try mine but I sold it quickly because it sucks. Get a LCP max 380.

The trick with the 642 is to sit with it watching TV and dry fire the crap out of it. After a few thousand pulls the trigger smooths out and the pull becomes very crisp. If you go In that direction just follow that.

Bodyguard 380 is not a coyote defense gun, it's a stick it under bad guys ribs and pull the trigger gun for most anyone I've seen shoot one besides Jerry Miculek. They are one of the hardest .380's to shoot accurately. I have one and I put everything from Galloway precision into it and a set of XS big dots and I can shoot it ok set up like that, but for the amount of money I have into it, it was mostly an exercise in morbid curiosity than anything. If you are really worried about coyote's, they are small and fast, you need something you can be accurate with. I love the original bodyguard and 638 revolver, smooth out of the pocket but you can still cock the hammer and be accurate with it. The single action trigger on them is very good and I often shoot mine out to absolutely ridiculous distances for such a small revolver. Only downside to .38 right now is ammo is scarce as hell if you don't reload.

Bodyguard 380 is not a coyote defense gun, it's a stick it under bad guys ribs and pull the trigger gun for most anyone I've seen shoot one besides Jerry Miculek. They are one of the hardest .380's to shoot accurately. I have one and I put everything from Galloway precision into it and a set of XS big dots and I can shoot it ok set up like that, but for the amount of money I have into it, it was mostly an exercise in morbid curiosity than anything. If you are really worried about coyote's, they are small and fast, you need something you can be accurate with. I love the original bodyguard and 638 revolver, smooth out of the pocket but you can still cock the hammer and be accurate with it. The single action trigger on them is very good and I often shoot mine out to absolutely ridiculous distances for such a small revolver. Only downside to .38 right now is ammo is scarce as hell if you don't reload.
Yup. It's the 2" of travel on a 10-11 lb DAO trigger with no wall .. and I struggle to find any scenario where most people could accurately shoot it outside of 3 yards under duress. There are so many more options now than a BG, even as far as the mouse guns go. The late 2010s and 2020s are the "era of the subcompact."

I forgot what OP was originally thinking of using a handgun for, which is to incapacitate aggressive coyotes. Micro guns aren't for this job. Multiple, fast moving targets? 6 rds of 380 in a mouse gun is not very effective for the intended purpose. I'm thinking double stack 9mm if he still wants a compact gun. G19 with a 15 shot mag and modern JHPs sounds like a good idea.

The trick with the 642 is to sit with it watching TV and dry fire the crap out of it. After a few thousand pulls the trigger smooths out and the pull becomes very crisp. If you go In that direction just follow that.
I've had a couple J-frames. I replaced the strings and polished the rebound slide. It helped, but I still think the result isn't great. I've got K-frames with outstanding triggers, but the J-frames weren't as good. YMMV.

I forgot what OP was originally thinking of using a handgun for, which is to incapacitate aggressive coyotes. Micro guns aren't for this job. Multiple, fast moving targets? 6 rds of 380 in a mouse gun is not very effective for the intended purpose. I'm thinking double stack 9mm if he still wants a compact gun. G19 with a 15 shot mag and modern JHPs sounds like a good idea.
At this point, I'm thinking you would not even need a hit. Just the noise would probably scatter them. Too bad firecrackers are illegal in MA.

Really, this is not a hunting expedition, at least on MY end. I just don't want myself or my dog to be harassed by coyotes while walking. I like the idea of that chest pack thing, but it is a little much, as far as straps, buckles, material. Something along those lines, but for a simple walk, not a "mission across the himalayas" would be fine.

Last edited:
I might just try a regular belt with a normal police type service holster outside my shorts, open carry. I don't see the harm in having a "gun belt" on top of whatever I'm wearing already. This may be the simplest solution, using everything I already have and am familiar with. The only downside is the rare "Karen" who might be a little nervous, IF she saw it, but too bad. Now, if only my "good gun" wasn't such a boat anchor, but that becomes a new and different conversation. Otherwise, the search for something at least as small and light as the P3AT goes on. In the meantime, I might try this other configuration. Once it cools off, a sweatshirt will cover everything up anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom