• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P3AT. What is close in weight and size?

I've been wanting one of these in .22mag, but can't find one in stock...
and I don't get much of a hankering for new guns these days...
1662222349709.png

Yup.

See this post:

I think the P3AT is the lightest semi-auto you'll find in the .380 category. I have one, it's not the most refined piece, but for me it works flawlessly, and with a belt clip, you can carry it your boxer shorts un-noticed.
Word of caution though if you have the ones with the aggressive grip. (which you want. Generally).

I carried mine against skin while walking around with a baby in a bJorn for a few mile walk.. ended up getting one of the nastiest burns from rubbing that damn grip against flesh I've ever had. Even though the strap wasn't on the grip.

I have scars. ;)

I’d go bigger than 22 magnum personally. 22 mag could work but if you need to shoot a coyote with a handgun you’re probably not putting a really well placed shot on it given the situation. You’d probably want to put it down faster with a bigger caliper. Hitting it with less than a kill shot with 22 mag might not be as humane as a bigger caliper without a well placed shot. Just my thought.

Kahr P380, effectively the same size as the Keltec P32 with less recoil, better sights and far more accurate. It's 3 ounces heavier than the Keltec P32 and about two ounces heavier than the Keltec P3AT. And it disappears if you carry it in the back pocket.

Kahr P380, effectively the same size as the Keltec P32 with less recoil, better sights and far more accurate. It's 3 ounces heavier than the Keltec P32 and about two ounces heavier than the Keltec P3AT. And it disappears if you carry it in the back pocket.
Do you have one?

Will look into that. Do they make a CW380 like the CW9? Also, is it stainless?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Anyone have, or know anything about these?

Anyone have, or know anything about these?

I had a .32 NAA. Not very impressed with it, so I sold it. I much prefer my Kahr PM9.

Do you have one?

Will look into that. Do they make a CW380 like the CW9? Also, is it stainless?

Thanks again.
Yes I have the P380 (as well as the PM9 and P45). All three of my Kahr's are very reliable and for such small guns surprisingly accurate. I don't think I have ever had a jam with factory ammo.

A friend had the CW380 and let me try it. I was very surprised at the lack of recoil or muzzle flip compared to my Keltec P32, which along with some other guns promptly got traded for a new P380.

Yes, the Kahr's are more expensive than many guns of comparable size. I chose not to go cheap on things my life might depend on.

Yes I have the P380 (as well as the PM9 and P45). All three of my Kahr's are very reliable and for such small guns surprisingly accurate. I don't think I have ever had a jam with factory ammo.

A friend had the CW380 and let me try it. I was very surprised at the lack of recoil or muzzle flip compared to my Keltec P32, which along with some other guns promptly got traded for a new P380.
The Kahrs have a locking breach. Isn’t the P32 straight blowback? Blowback guns have more felt recoil.

The Kahrs have a locking breach. Isn’t the P32 straight blowback? Blowback guns have more felt recoil.
I think the p-32 is also a locked breech. That is part of the reason why it's still popular and it's pretty much the only small Kel-Tec people buy anymore. It has literally a cult following.

Both the P32 and the Kahrs are locked breech. I was very surprised when I tried a friend's CW380 and found it kicked and recoiled less than my P32

A Colt 1903 pocket hammerless . 32ACP, despite being straight blowback has very little recoil, only a little be more than a full sized .22LR, but in general a straight blowback than a locked breech gun recoils more. My East German Makarov in 9x18 kicks worse than the Kahr PM9.

I don't know why, but however the way the Kahrs were designed they seem to recoil less than guns of the same size & caliber from other makers. A friend tried my P45 and said the recoil was about the same as the all metal Colt Officer's .45. I will say carry ammo in the P45 (CCI 230gr Golddots) while not quite reaching painful, are not a lot of fun to fire a lot of. The P380 & PM9 I can fire all day long with no discomfort.

Both the P32 and the Kahrs are locked breech. I was very surprised when I tried a friend's CW380 and found it kicked and recoiled less than my P32

A Colt 1903 pocket hammerless . 32ACP, despite being straight blowback has very little recoil, only a little be more than a full sized .22LR, but in general a straight blowback than a locked breech gun recoils more. My East German Makarov in 9x18 kicks worse than the Kahr PM9.

I don't know why, but however the way the Kahrs were designed they seem to recoil less than guns of the same size & caliber from other makers. A friend tried my P45 and said the recoil was about the same as the all metal Colt Officer's .45. I will say carry ammo in the P45 (CCI 230gr Golddots) while not quite reaching painful, are not a lot of fun to fire a lot of. The P380 & PM9 I can fire all day long with no discomfort.
I'm thinking the p32 just has a little bite just because it's so damn light. That's also part of its cult following.... the gun is so lightweight yet still fires a cartridge that's slightly above worthless at least. The gun looks like doo doo but it's actually much better "at being a gun" than a seecamp 32 is.

Wow! One more round!

While I prefer coconut oil. The concoction I got from a TCM master I knew at the time was epic. Think spicy sherbert with sticking power. Yummy.

No joke though. Do not carry good grips against skin. Leather or t-shirt and leather. Minimum.

TCM?

Traditional Chinese Medicine?

Wow! One more round!
$23 Bucks? That's as much as a new 6-round magazine from Kel-Tec.

For $5 bucks more you can get a 9-round extended mag... also from Kel-Tec...

🤔

1662440484729.png

Well, gotta get something soon. Was walking the dog out at Hodges Dam in Oxford, and was on the far side, long dirt road, after dusk. Dog looked into the woods. I shined my light there, and saw 2 sets of eyes, and maybe 2-4 coyotes all running and writhing with each other, probably planning us for their next meal. I had pepper/mace spray, knife, a long rope for dog, and a road full of rocks. I picked up about 4 rocks, made some noise, and tossed the rocks at the coyotes. They skedaddled, but then I had to keep checking both sides, forward and back for the next mile. Plus, on top of that, my light was getting dimmer and dimmer. My dog is no wuss, in fact, she's pretty tough, but she's about 70 pounds, and they were probably 6 inches higher than her, I'm guessing 90 pounds; about the size of a big German shepherd or husky at least, reddish in color. The dog and this overweight old fart jogged and threw stones for the next mile while shining a weak flashlight into the woods. Gotta get something soon. Not going to get anything as big as a Glock 43 or Sig 365; too heavy and too big for pocket carry in shorts. Maybe a belt pack, but would have to try it out. Leaning towards a LCPs or S&W 642/638 for the moment, and a P3AT when I can find one. Don't really know much about the LCPII right now.
LCP2 is improved LCP. Then they have the max. Go fondle them.

Nylon Adidas gym shorts. No structure at all, whatsoever; very loose and flimsy. Really doubt even pocket carry would work here, most likely would try the belly band, which will suck because of sweating. Too bad the P3AT or CW9 is not stainless. Maybe leaning towards a S&W alloy/stainless revolver for that fact alone.
Meh. I have a PM9 and is pretty concealable, reliable and easy to shoot.
But, I would also be tempted to just wear some real shorts.
🤷‍♂️

I think the P3AT is the lightest semi-auto you'll find in the .380 category.
Just get an LCP/LCP2 a pocket holster and be done with it.
I have a 642 and carried it more than any other
Tried a S&W 638 and a 642 and a Ruger LCR, all in .38 SPL.
LCP II in .22 Magnum
Kahr P380
LCP2 is improved LCP. Then they have the max. Go fondle them.
Meh. I have a PM9 and is pretty concealable
Get a sig 938. Done.
SO many contenders. Wish there was a place to compare them all.

P3AT still pretty much wins there.

I meant in person. Sometimes, just holding them allows you to start filtering them in your mind. Shooting would be even better.

Back
Top Bottom