• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Finders - What do you have?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Looking for a Range Finder and wondering what you have that works well. See options from $100 up to $600. Not looking to break the bank on this, but will stay away from the skinflinting junk.

Thanks

I think you need to spend if you want distance. I have a Nikon Acculon 6x20. Good for 550 yds and sub $200. I’ve used it out to 500 and seems to work ok.

Last edited:
Check out the Sig Sauer Kilo series. The ABS versions have the Applied Ballistics toolkit.
I bought an Sig back in 2020 to connect with my Sig Scope. Made calculations a breeze

I had that Vortex 1800, works fine. Got one for my son too. Just recently sold mine though because I wanted something with ballistics built in to try.

Was between the Sig Kilo series, the Revic and the Vortex. Reviews are all over the place on them. Lots of people like the Revics. They use their own ballistics software though and not AB.
I read a few too many issues with the Sig and they weren't covered out of warranty

I went with Vortex though just because of their no questions lifetime warranty. With something like this with glass and electronics the peace of mind with Vortex is worth it for slightly less optical quality. I'm not using these for spotting, so I'm hoping I can live with less than perfect optics.

I bought this one a couple months ago for hunting. I need to range out maybe 100 yards max so I didn't want to spend $500.
Vortex has some good deals for veterans if you use ExpertVoice.

I have a few of their lower end optics and they work fine for my needs. This isn't Montana.

I have a Halo ZIR10. Got it on sale a few years ago. Claims will go to 1000 yards but I've never tried at that range. It reaches out to 100yards with no problem. Calculates the angle as well. It's not great but it's not bad either.

I also have a Vortex. Worked fine looking at all the metal targets at Granby. I don't see the need to spend more.

If I was getting one that integrates with something for ballistics, it would be the one that integrates with a Kestrel. I don't want something that integrates only to a scope for 2 reasons:

1. The scopes tend to be more expensive but not because you get better glass, but because of the electronics.

2. You are stuck with that scope, unless it also works with a Kestrel.

This is just my personal 6.5 stud sniper operator opinion.

That being said, the only advantage of integration might be for wind. Because using the Hornady ballistic app, I input the distance and it is spot on. Takes me like 5 seconds. But, I have to read/guess the wind.

I use mine hunting, and general curiosity while driving around.
i cannot recall many hunts where i would take a shot beyond 200yds. plus, up to 300 i can guess it quite good, but even a 300 shot is kinda far.
as of general curiosity - for sure, i get that... but other than that, really, not sure...

it is one of those things that i look at, from time to time, but really cannot see many if any practical use cases for it.

Ive been borrowing my friends sig kilo and it works well enough. Ill probably get my own when I find a sale

Haven't used it yet. But the Sig kilo1600 bdx to pair with my bdx scopes
What are you going to do when SIG stops making the BDX?

Also, I read their glass is not that great for the price. I looked at them for a while a few months back.

Last edited:
Granby, to figure out how far the metal targets are.

Maybe hunting?
PRS?
at any range or competition you know up front distances to targets.
hunting is the only reasonable application, but i am lost of what kind of hunt would need it - unless you hunt some antelopes and shoot from a klik away.

hunting is the only reasonable application, but i am lost of what kind of hunt would need it - unless you hunt some antelopes and shoot from a klik away.
Sometimes its nice to know the distance to something, or setting up a range somewhere quick

Good luck figuring out the distances at Granby. They are not written anywhere. Even if they were written, some targets get covered by plants so you might be looking at the wrong target.

You are used to 99.9% of ranges in New England that have set distances, most 200 yards or less.

I don't shoot PRS, but I have read of people using their range finders between stages to figure out the distances. Maybe they do it different in other parts of the country?

I have an older Leupold that I originally got for golf. Have not used it out past 200 yards.

Think I got it in 2018-19

Dual purpose.

Not adding to the conversation, just not something I use gun or golf wise in 4-5 years.

All local PRS matches you’re going to be recommended to verify the target distances yourself, sometimes they’re off or misprinted.

i cannot recall many hunts where i would take a shot beyond 200yds. plus, up to 300 i can guess it quite good, but even a 300 shot is kinda far.
as of general curiosity - for sure, i get that... but other than that, really, not sure...

it is one of those things that i look at, from time to time, but really cannot see many if any practical use cases for it.
It also functions as a 6x monocle, so that's cool. But by all means, if you only see 200 yards, it's probably a waste.

046B68C2-FD89-4B61-9A04-6A8E95EE26D3.jpeg

I thought this thread was about finding a range (a place to shoot), but then hoped it was about rangefinder cameras.

But since it’s about devices that measure a distance, I included a picture of a Swiss artillery range finder that’s the same as the one I have. (Not mine, but same model)

Back
Top Bottom