• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Finders - What do you have?

Well… this is a thread about range finders. and you’ve quite plainly been talking about them. Also, you said this about “just guessing” range (implying not using a range finder, which is the topic of the thread):

I can guess the range of targets well enough that it is not stupid and irresponsible. Might not win a match, but not stupid and irresponsible. Further, one can use reticles to estimate range pretty damned well without needing a range finder. In fact, everyone should learn that skill because range finders are electronics. And electronics fail.

Range finders are an easy button and help keep people competitive at certain competitions. But they are not needed to safely and competently estimate/guess range.
I agree with everything you said. You obviously have more experience than the average Joe just starting out. In that regard I would say your not just guessing and winging it, you are making an educated decision based on a set of skills.

This set of skills gives you the ability to somewhat accurately range and confidence to where your bullet is going. That was my only point. Knowing that where you’re sending your round is going to be safe.

IMO a rangefinder is the easiest and quickest way to accurately range targets at distance.

it is not too difficult in real life when you know well an approximate height of an object. all this is way easier than some think it is.

again, somehow for many many years people managed it all just fine without those gizmos and most still do. nothing wrong to have one, but, also nothing wrong of having some good fun at their expense neither.
I’m all up for some good fun. Seeing this is so easy I’d be willing to have a friendly wager with you.

I’d be willing to meet at Granby at an agreed upon date. For every target that you accurately MIL within 15 yards I will pay $5.00. For every one you do not I would receive $5.00. PM me if your interested.

I’m all up for some good fun. Seeing this is so easy I’d be willing to have a friendly wager with you.

I’d be willing to meet at Granby at an agreed upon date. For every target that you accurately MIL within 15 yards I will pay $5.00. For every one you do not I would receive $5.00. PM me if your interested.
I want to watch. Please PM me when this happens. I will bring breakfast.

I agree with everything you said. You obviously have more experience than the average Joe just starting out. In that regard I would say your not just guessing and winging it, you are making an educated decision based on a set of skills.

This set of skills gives you the ability to somewhat accurately range and confidence to where your bullet is going. That was my only point. Knowing that where you’re sending your round is going to be safe.

IMO a rangefinder is the easiest and quickest way to accurately range targets at distance.

I took a rifle class about 10 years ago at a guy's private range with targets out to 800 yards in NH. It was a great class, and I learned a lot, but he had a formula to gauge range for targets of a known size using the Mil dots in your scope. Basically it was math. The guy teaching could do the math in his head. I'm too dumb for that so I had to do it on paper. My calculations ended up being correct and I scored hits on the targets, but it took me way too long to figure it out. If it was a hunt the animal would have had more than enough time to escape. For dumb people like me I'm glad technology is there to help out.

Can I join? 😂
I want to watch. Please PM me when this happens. I will bring breakfast.
I would go down for this as well. We can shoot afterwards!

Ive had a bushnell going on close to 20 years i think and its served me well. Use it for shooting hunting and golf. Just got a pair of Vortex Fury 10x binos here off another member and my plans is to keep the bushnells in the golf bag (still works great even for finding the flag)

If it was a hunt the animal would have had more than enough time to escape
you should have opened a link what i posted. an elk/deer body correlates somewhat with the standard reticle sizing, and to some degree may correlate with the height of the post for hanging steel. you just need to know your reticle and how it matches up, but, an estimate is an estimate.
obviously, with the unknown height it gets somewhat more complex.
1698330477363.png

and to summarize of what is actually done - you zero your .223 or .308 to 200yds. that gives you a certain window where your drop is up to 3" - at 100 you are about that high, and at 250 about that low.

so all you need to do is to train your eyes to see how far off 250 that game is.

Last edited:
This could be a good NES get together. (Serious)
all shitposting aside it indeed would be a great idea, if on some saturday and nothing else gets in the way, as it always does. the weather seems to be great so far.
but, this upcoming saturday is already taken away from me.

would be nice indeed to have a meet-up.

all shitposting aside it indeed would be a great idea, if on some saturday and nothing else gets in the way, as it always does. the weather seems to be great so far.
but, this upcoming saturday is already taken away from me.

would be nice indeed to have a meet-up.
I’m a man of my word and sure we can accommodate your schedule as best as possible.

I’m a man of my word and sure we can accommodate your schedule as best as possible.
relax, i am not going to estimate distances to a 3-5ft tall sticks 600-900 yds away. it is not what all this was about, despite of you trying to make it so.
but the meetup is still a decent idea.

relax, i am not going to estimate distances to a 3-5ft tall sticks 600-900 yds away. it is not what all this was about, despite of you trying to make it so.
but the meetup is still a decent idea.
I’m sorry I thought it was your reasoning why a rangefinder is a waste of money with no practical use.
ohh, my god, spare me the pathos about $300 piece of junk.
[rofl]

like all the generations before invention of led lasers were stupid and irresponsible. shiver me timbers.

Back
Top Bottom