• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Finders - What do you have?

What are you going to do when SIG stops making the BDX?

Also, I read their glass is not that great for the price. I looked at them for a while a few months back.
Glass is perfectly fine for myself.
It's applied ballistics software.
They've had continuous production of the bdx system.
I believe they are on their second gen.

Hardware should still work and one would imagine that the software would still work and just not have any further updates if they decided to change paths.

I honestly don't see why they would.
The only other company that has anything comparable is vortex with their new attachment system.
But that's piles of money and military only at the moment.

Cheap Bushnell I bought for like 100 dollars 10 years ago...still works great.

Just use setting up archery stands ranging trees, so i don't guess when the time comes. And setting my archery target ranges around the house.

Also, I read their glass is not that great for the price. I looked at them for a while a few months back.

I have a couple of their Tango6s. The glass is good albeit those are on the higher end. Tracking is fine. Non-BDX on mine. Levelplex is nice. I haven't really tried beating them up though.

at any range or competition you know up front distances to targets.
hunting is the only reasonable application, but i am lost of what kind of hunt would need it - unless you hunt some antelopes and shoot from a klik away.
You seem to be thinking of rifles with high velocity cartridges. What if you're using something slower, like 45/70?

With a shotgun, range matters faster. What is "too far" to take a useful shot on that goose? How should I expect my 1oz slug to drop by at a given distance?

When I get into archery, this will be even more true.

For all these reasons, I use my rangefinder to help me get better at estimating distance in the field.

at any range or competition you know up front distances to targets.
hunting is the only reasonable application, but i am lost of what kind of hunt would need it - unless you hunt some antelopes and shoot from a klik away.
If you’re going to be shooting longer distances you should always know the yardage and your ballistics. Just guessing and winging it is just stupid and irresponsible. This goes for both shooting targets as well as animals.

Also not every competition is known yardage.

is just stupid and irresponsible
ohh, my god, spare me the pathos about $300 piece of junk.
[rofl]

like all the generations before invention of led lasers were stupid and irresponsible. shiver me timbers.

Last edited:
I just go by what it says on the range I am using. Usually not more than 100yds so no real issues for me and it takes out a lot of the guess work.

Your better gun clubs will have the range distances marked so no need to buy fancy range finding equipment....

No big surprise in that I want a rangefinder that can potentially reach out to 1000 yards to verify targets. Take Granby for example. Depending on where you are on the line you could be at 1000 yards or you could be at 1015 yards. Big variation on your come up for 15 yards when your shooting at a man sized plate at that range. So yeah, I want a rangefinder to verify my range.

ohh, my god, spare me the pathos about $300 piece of junk.
[rofl]

like all the generations before invention of led lasers were stupid and irresponsible. shiver me timbers.

You complain about a $300 device that will help you accurately range and place shots on target but then advocate for a $1500 drone so someone can spot impacts at long distances?

Oh and so I’m clear, sending a round and not being pretty confident about where it’s going is STUPID.

OP give us a budget and features your looking for and we can narrow the choices.

Rangefinders can vary drastically just. Like anything else.

plus, to me the idiocy of anyone on an actual hunt, who after hours of stalking and finally getting a good spot position for a shot is still NOT ABLE to tell how far that damn game is and starts nervously searching over all the pockets for this piece of junk - you know, save me the stupidity of this. over 2" of a drop?

that is where all the arguments against theoretesists who are 'smart and responsible' are just futile. if not sure - do not shoot, get closer and then shoot it dead. that is how it works.
shooting some shit from a mile, then trying to follow blood trail with slim chances to find it, then to carry it back - that is what STUPIDITY is. no one does it.

and it is all good fun, those conversations, like same with $18k shotguns that knock ducks from the sky on their own, etc, etc. scopes. rangefinders.
and then a dude with 50yr old rusty sks with iron sights shows you of how it`s done.

Last edited:
My general rule of thumb on range finders is take the mfgs number for distance and 1/2 it. Then reduce it some more.

I have an Sig Kilo 1250. For 2-4 moa steel targets it will range reliably to 500-600 yards

Past that I can usually range the berm behind the target ( could be 15-20 yards more). It won’t range a 20” x 20” steel plate at 700

The manufacturers literature does spell out that it can range a hard reflective target of sufficient size ( house ,shed , pickup) at distance. But smaller targets or soft targets (deer) may be substantially less

My best suggestion is to talk with guys at Granby and try their rangefinders to find something that works for you

I miss Granby, I always liked the random oddball distances to the steel. My long distance club in PA hangs everything in multiples of 100 yards out to 1000. So I bring and hand my own steel for in between work

I’ve got a vortex viper monocular that’s pretty decent if you’re looking cheap cheap. Seems pretty quick and accurate for what it is. Recommend it for normal use !

Two different products.
True, but costs kinda line up.
Not literally, but cost for performance.
Arguably one of the best red dots on the market at a high cost vs variable zoom,good glass and the bdx system.

Any other optic in the price range of each has less features and glass that may or may not be as good

True, but costs kinda line up.
Not literally, but cost for performance.
Arguably one of the best red dots on the market at a high cost vs variable zoom,good glass and the bdx system.

Any other optic in the price range of each has less features and glass that may or may not be as good

Let's not compare two different products.

As far as the variable zoom optic, I am just going by what other owners say, because I was seriously considering that scope. I think it is awesome how it simplifies everything. But several people said the same thing, you pay for the technology, not for the glass, they were not happy with it. The problem is, once you have looked through very nice and clear glass, you are screwed, you want that every time.

But, I have no personal experience, so I can only comment on what I read.

My only concern would be SIG stops manufacturing the scopes.

Maybe C_DOES will do a nice review on one of these, I don't think he has one.

My only concern would be SIG stops manufacturing the scopes.
my would be their warranty of electrical components they produce, at 5yrs top. unless it is not a factor, but, scopes usually live for way longer than 5 yrs.
there is definitely lack of a good cheap reliable tech to have a projected image inside of a regular standard optic, if anyone would get that done, it would be quite nice, as it would open a lot of possible integrations.

I just picked up a Burris LRF 2000 rangefinder last month. It was cheap enough, and seems to work fine. I only wanted it as a range toy mostly, from up to 300 yards. Burris makes some decent stuff, and their no BS lifetime warranty is the same as Vortex, although I’ve never had to use it.

One thing I did notice during research is that they all have basically the exact same feature set. The only difference in prices is the range they claim to work at. So as mentioned earlier, pick one that goes more than double the range you need and you should be good to go.

Then the real expensive ones will interface with weather devices or have built in tables. I didn’t want any of that.

Oh and so I’m clear, sending a round and not being pretty confident about where it’s going is STUPID.

I like having a range finder. It helps at places like Granby, PRS matches for confirmation, and intend to use it for precise ranging for certain hunting scenarios.

That said… your statement is pretty silly. I can estimate range with my eyes well enough that my shot will not be any sort of safety issue. Definitely not stupid just for taking a shot without a range finder. Range finders are helpful, but that doesn’t mean someone is being stupid when shooting without using one.

I like having a range finder. It helps at places like Granby, PRS matches for confirmation, and intend to use it for precise ranging for certain hunting scenarios.

That said… your statement is pretty silly. I can estimate range with my eyes well enough that my shot will not be any sort of safety issue. Definitely not stupid just for taking a shot without a range finder. Range finders are helpful, but that doesn’t mean someone is being stupid when shooting without using one.
I agree with you, so how does that statement you quoted sound silly, it doesn’t even mention rangefinders.

I agree with you, so how does that statement you quoted sound silly, it doesn’t even mention rangefinders.

Well… this is a thread about range finders. and you’ve quite plainly been talking about them. Also, you said this about “just guessing” range (implying not using a range finder, which is the topic of the thread):

If you’re going to be shooting longer distances you should always know the yardage and your ballistics. Just guessing and winging it is just stupid and irresponsible. This goes for both shooting targets as well as animals.

Also not every competition is known yardage.

I can guess the range of targets well enough that it is not stupid and irresponsible. Might not win a match, but not stupid and irresponsible. Further, one can use reticles to estimate range pretty damned well without needing a range finder. In fact, everyone should learn that skill because range finders are electronics. And electronics fail.

Range finders are an easy button and help keep people competitive at certain competitions. But they are not needed to safely and competently estimate/guess range.

Back on topic, I use a 6x Nikon with image stabilization. Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore. I’m guessing because the profit margins were so slim with the stabilization mechanism. The unit was fairly cheap.

A501F61B-7D95-4202-9C5B-5EA2B97E59CF.jpeg

It has been able to range all the targets at Granby, but does have difficulty against natural “targets” and under certain glare situations. And the image stabilization means I can see much more detail at the 6x than one would normally be able to see. It really makes me want to get a Canon 10 or 12x image stabilized binos.

Estimating range of a target in a setting where there are other known target distances is fairly easy. You can judge based on relation to other known distances.

But estimating range out in the open or when there aren't other known references around is a totally different ball game.

But estimating range out in the open or when there aren't other known references around is a totally different ball game.
it is not too difficult in real life when you know well an approximate height of an object. all this is way easier than some think it is.

again, somehow for many many years people managed it all just fine without those gizmos and most still do. nothing wrong to have one, but, also nothing wrong of having some good fun at their expense neither.

Cheap Bushnell I bought for like 100 dollars 10 years ago...still works great.

Just use setting up archery stands ranging trees, so i don't guess when the time comes. And setting my archery target ranges around the house.
I have probably the same Bushnell for archery and muzzleloader. Same thing, range the trees when I set up the stand and once a week to remind myself.

I’ve tried it at “known” distances at ranges and it seems correct to 300 yards (does 301 matter?).

I spent $125 about 5 years ago.

….
again, somehow for many many years people managed it all just fine without those gizmos and most still do. nothing wrong to have one, but, also nothing wrong of having some good fun at their expense neither.

To be fair, for many many years the vast majority of people weren’t shooting beyond close range. They’d zero their rifle for max point blank range of their prey’s vital zone and keep their shots fairly close by today’s standards. But it didn’t really matter that much because bullet design didn’t lend itself to far shots anyway.

We live in a different time now, external ballistics-wise. And precise ranging is now much more important. Still, people should learn how to range estimate without a range finder.

To be fair, for many many years the vast majority of people weren’t shooting beyond close range. They’d zero their rifle for max point blank range of their prey’s vital zone and keep their shots fairly close by today’s standards. But it didn’t really matter that much because bullet design didn’t lend itself to far shots anyway.

We live in a different time now, external ballistics-wise. And precise ranging is now much more important. Still, people should learn how to range estimate without a range finder.
Man I’m out here watching this thread like, without a digital range finder I am f***ED. Can’t estimate for shit. My dyslexic ass would need 10 minutes and scratch paper to mil anything 😂

it is not too difficult in real life when you know well an approximate height of an object. all this is way easier than some think it is.

This works when you have some rough sizes to go by. Like you might know the average height of a coyote, deer, bear ...

But a random metal target? ... good luck.

Back
Top Bottom