Remove Please

I've never done it, but I'm currently reading up on 3-gun and would be very interested in competing at the fun level, for now. Where you thinking?

Wasn't there a thread about trying to do something like this at Harvard last year?

Yep, its not going to take off in MA, There is one real 3 gun shooter here, Dan S. Everyone else is primarily a pistol shooter and does the occasional Rifle or Shotgun match when it starts getting cold. Most local 3Gun matches do not have the help or facility needed to run a good 3 gun, so what you end up with is lame. Then no one wants to go again.

The one on the cape has been fun. Hopefully there will be more. There are some on Long Island that are well designed.

I was thinking the other day that there is nothing to do shooting wise around here besides skeet/trap or going to the range to shoot paper targets. So the light bulb went on and I said maybe I should post something. For shooters in MA maybe something can be set up in central mass ( middle of the state) with 3 gun shooting. Nothing over the top but for guys that would like to compete at the fun level? Any thoughts or ideas?
Having a local 3 Gun match would be great. However there are the legal issues in Ma. for non residents with gear, this keeps a lot of shooters away.
Many three gun matches will run one or all three in a stage. You need a quality range. Staff to run it also.

There is a big difference between competing, and "competing on a fun level". In years past, friends of mine have shot both NRA Action Pistol and SASS (Cowboy) matches locally to them. The folks running the "matches" were "competing at the fun level" my friends were competing as they have for years. When they shot to their normal levels, they were requested not to return to shoot at subsequent "matches".
If that's the kind of attitude that will be common, I'd rather work on loads and just practice to improve on my own. If it's not, then, everyone can learn, and have fun.

Well I just started looking into 3 gun, I'm by no means fully informed on how it all works yet but just something that guys around here can go and have fun. Waynes weaponry in west Boylston is where I usually shoot nice huge sand pits. If a bunch of people were interested I could talk with Wayne and see if it's something we could set up. Just seeing if it's something enough people would be interested it. It's something I would like to set up for maybe mid to late spring.

As for pistol comps where do most of those take place? I'm new to this site so I apologize if these are repeated topics

. The folks running the "matches" were "competing at the fun level" my friends were competing as they have for years. When they shot to their normal levels, they were requested not to return to shoot at subsequent "matches".

Dan it would def be a fun shoot were everyone can learn and have fun

Come out to an IDPA or USPSA practice to learn the basics and then shoot a couple pistol matches. Look around in the Pistol competition forum, there's a bunch of great info there on how to get started. There's an IDPA pistol match at Worcester Pistol and Rifle club if you want to come by and check it out. Do you have experience with safely drawing from the holster?

The folks running the "matches" were "competing at the fun level" my friends were competing as they have for years. When they shot to their normal levels, they were requested not to return to shoot at subsequent "matches".

Seriously? I'd love to hear more about this out of pure schadenfreude.

It happened years ago. The good old boys simply were outclassed and got their panties in a knot. Probably because they got beaten by "those trick guns".
Nothing more to tell.

As for pistol comps where do most of those take place? I'm new to this site so I apologize if these are repeated topics

- Metrowest Tactical at Harvard Sportsmen's: http://www.metrowesttactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=18
- Worcester Pistol and Rifle: http://www.wprclub.com/idpa/index.asp
- Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford: http://rodgun-nb.org/ap/action.htm

Also, Lee Sportsmen's Association has some small IDPA matches. Typically only a few stages, so not as elaborate as the ones listed above: http://www.leesportsmen.com/index.php

The folks running the "matches" were "competing at the fun level" my friends were competing as they have for years. When they shot to their normal levels, they were requested not to return to shoot at subsequent "matches".

Wow Dan! I guess they really did have their panties jammed up their a$$es. Lame.

As far as I know, we are always competing on the "fun level" even at the bigger matches. Hell, I'm having fun when you, or daveb, or lugnut, or JTspidey, or brent or (insert name here) beats me and then rides me about it. Its even fun when Supermofo kicks my but with my own pistol after his space gun craps out and I let him borrow mine... Even more fun when I win but one thing is for certain - I am always learning from everyone we shoot with.

Last edited:
WTF is the "fun level?" Isn't it all supposed to be fun? I've been to a number of shooting events where I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter.... it was still fun. Last winter I went to an indoor plate shoot at Hopkinton where even the worst shooter there (excluding myself) basically destroyed me, but I learned a lot in the process. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

-Mike

Wow Dan! I guess they really did have their panties jammed up their a$$es. Lame.

As far as I know, we are always competing on the "fun level" even at the bigger matches. Hell, I'm having fun when you, or daveb, or lugnut, or GTspidy, or brent or (insert name here) beats me and then rides me about it. Its even fun when Supermofo kicks my but with my own pistol after his space gun craps out and I let him borrow mine... Even more fun when I win but one thing is for certain - I am always learning from everyone we shoot with.

Shooting fun lasts for the day, Winning fun lasts for the week, beating someone with their own gun fun lasts for years

I recently shot a bigger match, the squad I was on did not want to do walk thrus. When we walked up, they said we just shoot for fun, we don't take this seriously, both another shooter and myself said at the same time, "we take it seriously, we're doing walk thrus and we want our 5 mins" The rest of squad basically just wanted to stand around with their guns, shoot the shit and occasionally pop off a few rounds as the wandered around the stage.

Its not fun when you are there to compete and everyone is just screwing around.

Shooting fun lasts for the day, Winning fun lasts for the week, beating someone with their own gun fun lasts for years

I knew you would chime in on that... I still laugh about that one and it was a few years ago now.

You know I am never there to screw around. I am always there to shoot to the best of my ability and try to win. I am just always having fun doing it. I agree- the fun of winning lasts longer. Its like a gift you can keep on giving.

Nothing over the top but for guys that would like to compete at the fun level? Any thoughts or ideas?

After thinking this over, I can only give one answer. If you do it, do it right. If you do it right, it will draw people more than one time to the match. If it is done right, I would drive from here to play. If it is NOT done right, it will give many who have never tried something like this it is not worth the time to learn.

I am doing everything I can to get back to shooting on a regular basis and to go somewhere where no one cared whether they win or loose and just want to be there just to be there is a waste of time.

Go big or go home!!!!!!!!!

Especially when it's the match staff. "It's just a club match" is not something that staff should ever say. Thankfully, I very very rarely hear that at the matches around here.

The SOs/ROs shouldn't be range nazi hardasses, but they should enforce the rules accurately, consistently, and fairly. The only thing I see against this at all regularly that bugs me a little sometimes is giving people close hits without really determining them.

What is "3 gun"? Do you just bring your 3 favorite guns and shoot? I have 3 guns and belong to a club. How does this work? Only half kidding. Is this a fun thing, a league thing, or is it more formal and organized?

It's like an IDPA or USPSA match, but with pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Take a look at this thread for more: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/139861-So-you-want-to-shoot-3-gun

Thanks. They all look like they take themselves WAY too seriously for me. It sounded fun, but that looks too much like stress. Out!

(If anybody ever wanted to do a FUN version of this, where the prize is a beer or coffee or dinner or something simple, I'd be up for it. All this organization takes the spontaneity and fun out of it as far as I'm concerned. Though I imagine for some folks, this is a good thing, like scuba diving, sky diving, bowling, or something else.)

Back
Top Bottom