Remove Please

Especially when it's the match staff. "It's just a club match" is not something that staff should ever say.

I make a personal exception for things that are more difficult than the rules allow (more running, longer shots, etc) but are still fair from shooter to shooter. But of course, what one person may find "still fair" is another person's handicap, hence, the problem.

All this organization takes the spontaneity and fun out of it as far as I'm concerned. Though I imagine for some folks, this is a good thing, like scuba diving, sky diving, bowling, or something else.)

Organization does take out the spontaneity and it is a good thing as I don't want to get up early, haul out thousand of $ of gear, pay to travel, ammo and match fee, only to shoot at a match that is not organized, has retarded rules and you spend most of your time scared by the gun handling

To run a fun match, it cost money and a lot of time and the only people that will invest both are those that it take it seriously.
Little unorganized "its for fun only" matches never survive

Match A=well organized, follows some established rules/scoring, safe gun handling= everyone can have "fun"
Match B="Fun Match-not too serious", organized=rarely? Rules followed, scoring consistent=not so much, safe gun handling=hit or miss.

Match A = Everyone can have "Fun", both serious competitors and the "I'm here to have fun and don't care about my score" shooters. The “serious” competitors will be back.
Match B = None of the serious competitors will have "fun" or ever come back. The "we are here for fun" guys will never learn and grow to the point where they could shoot in state/regional/national matches safely without embarrassing themselves.

So I'm with Gary, if you’re going to do something do it right=Safety first, follow some established rules. Does every match have to be hard, complicated COFs, prop heavy, NO.

Concerning safe gun handling; it’s all about your life experience/shooting experience. Before I shot my first pistol match I had never heard of a safe area.
My favorite unsafe gun handlers are the “good old boys" that only shoot at their own club, no safe areas, waving guns all around, awesome! “It’s OK if I point my xxx gun at you, it’s unloaded.”

Bottom line for me; if you call it a “match”, keep score and charge money; do it right from a rules, scoring and safety aspect. If a bunch of guys are getting together to just shoot; don’t call it a “match” don’t keep score, don’t charge money.

I personally don’t believe it when someone says “my score doesn’t matter” really? Maybe you will never win a match or never get better because of limited practice time or some physical limitation; but the fact that you try your best when the buzzer goes off means you care even if you don’t know it.

David E.
For "competitors" serious competition is fun.
I didn't come here to lose.

I make a personal exception for things that are more difficult than the rules allow (more running, longer shots, etc) but are still fair from shooter to shooter. But of course, what one person may find "still fair" is another person's handicap, hence, the problem.

Don't get me started on where the rules are stupid. The solution isn't breaking them, it's shooting USPSA.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

well I haven't shot many matches but the first IDPA I did at Worcester pistol and rifle was absolutely awesome!! Everyone was friendly and it was very well organized there was a lot of fun to be had and I only saw one person lose his cool because he messed up.
Point is everyone was there to have fun and we all did, we all seemed to enjoy the competition too.
I think it was because of the superb organization of the match. I learned a lot from a couple of the gentlemen from Harvard that shoot a lot of IDPA and they made me feel very comfortable as well as the other beginners.
Personally I would love to do 3-gun, as a matter of fact I just built another AR for that purpose..

Last edited:
that's one thing that I have been so impressed by since I have been more involved in shooting. I have met some of the nicest people, well there are a few odd characters too, but for the most part it's been nice people.

I floated the idea of action shooting to members of my club (Petersham Gun Club)

The idea would be to use our existing Sporting Clays course

The SC committee seemed receptive

They see it as two fold, action shooters may end up liking sporting clays and vice verse.

However, I would need someone with experience in the logistical end to take a look and see whats possible.

I floated the idea of action shooting to members of my club (Petersham Gun Club)

The idea would be to use our existing Sporting Clays course

The SC committee seemed receptive

They see it as two fold, action shooters may end up liking sporting clays and vice verse.

However, I would need someone with experience in the logistical end to take a look and see whats possible.
Are you talking about action shotgun, or full on 3 gun? Is your clays course natural terrain?

Are you talking about action shotgun, or full on 3 gun? Is your clays course natural terrain?

Yeah, i wondered that too. A sporting clays course wouldnt normally have the backstops for pistol or rifle. It seems like you could pretty easily add some steel, static clays, and vision barriers to make an action shotgun match though.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Full on 3 gun. They would like more shooters for clays. I want action shooting at my club. Our course is carved out of natural terrain behind our rifle range.

The subject of adding backstops did come up and the clays committee doesn't seem to have a problem supporting that addition.

Well we have planned about 6 events over the next several months to do 3 gun matches at Wayne's in west Boylston. We're gonna take the first event as a learning experience. I posted a new thread with more info but basically its gonna be an open class [ people can shoot whatever they want] were not shooting steel, only paper and clays, rules with prob be comstock, the stages for the match were designed after some of the bigger matches. Were basically gonna learn as we go and hope to draw a crowd. Myself and guys putting it on are looking forward to meet some fellow shooters. Feel free to email me for the dates and further info. Thanks. Ben. Email- [email protected]

Just wanted to make a correction scoring and rules will be international multi gun association rules. May 27 is the first match come check it out

Back
Top Bottom