• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HORA DOLOR: Winter Failings. Feb 24th. Information within!

Team It's Time 2A: Midnight's Failings

1. Learned that the KSG shoots HARD! Cheek placement is directly above chamber. My right cheek is bruised and sore. Ejection port directs spent shells straight down, right where my trigger hand wrist is... Fast racking the action results in spent shells slamming into the wrist, which was very bruised and swollen.
2. Learned that if you use the bead on the trap gun, you can actually hit the clay.
3. Even with a plan, things go wrong. Jeremy and I agreed that we would run to the buckets and go right back to the range without bothering to remember the stuff in them. On round 1, we probably wasted 3-4 minutes looking at and trying to remember all the stuff.
4. I still shoot pistol horribly when I rush.
5. My tacticool drop leg dump pouch is not very user friendly for stuffing magazines into, or I need to practice with it many more times.

Thanks to Joe, Morgan, all the ROs, and the staff at Townsend R&G. This was a great time and I am looking forward to doing another one.

Also, thanks to everyone who stopped to listen to my improvised speech on It's Time 2A . Please go to this page and sign up and take action.

Glad you were able to take a moment to make the speech!

And the red highlight.. I'll bet I heard that 15 times. That's not a small part of the reason that we play the games. To prove to us that you might be able to talk shit, but backing it up is a whole different world!

I watched (and I suffer from it too) a lot of people panic when something doesn't go as planned and all your thinking and preplanning goes right to crap when the plan falters.

We didn't have much of a plan and things still went wrong. Second clip got stuck on the rifle stage, one round wasn't seated and wouldn't fit in, had to grab another. Used atilla's Mossberg for slugs, had no idea how to unlock the damn pump, then couldn't find the safety. I must have dropped three or four shotgun shells in the snow between trap and slugs. Second run, couldn't find the shotgun for slugs, had to ask around and then found it down at the end of the range. We didn't have enough pistol mags so I was loading for my partner as he was shooting.

I thought shooting a lever would be faster than (potentially) having to reload 10 round mags for my hi point, but I guess it's not when the lever likes to bind up in the cold and you have to drop rounds directly into the chamber and seat them into the barrel with your thumb one by one. Oh well.

I thought shooting a lever would be faster than (potentially) having to reload 10 round mags for my hi point, but I guess it's not when the lever likes to bind up in the cold and you have to drop rounds directly into the chamber and seat them into the barrel with your thumb one by one. Oh well.

and then trying to do it prone too! not a fun time :)

So I've been away from the computer recovering.

I'd like to thank everyone who made this event possible. Thank you everyone in the kitchen that kept our stomachs full, thank you to Joe and Morgan for making fun of how slow we run and thank you to the people at Townsend Rod and Club.

Looking forward to the 3rd Hora Dolor.

ps. HEY JOE, I got the hand warmers working!!

she's cool with it, i'm one of those polyamorous types i guess. i want to see the rest of that run... it really had everything. me, joe, snow, me falling in the snow, being pulled on a sled by joe and morgan, my rifle jamming, and the coup de grace--elizabeth warren lovemaking.

sorry for everyone who i didn't get a chance to gve the shotgun class to, i thought everyone that needed to know crowded around when i was putting it on the rack! [sad2]

sorry for everyone who i didn't get a chance to gve the shotgun class to, i thought everyone that needed to know crowded around when i was putting it on the rack! [sad2]

That's my own fault for not paying attention. Who ended up with that massive scope hickey?

That's my own fault for not paying attention. Who ended up with that massive scope hickey?

NBD, i missed the first bird on the trap field because i didn't check the safety on joe's bird gun. derp.

AND the vicious hand-burn. he takes the cake for injury. i think drgrant has a picture of the injured crew on his cell phone. it's (in order of injury/nasty-lookin'-ness): him, cekim all bloody, and then me.

NBD, i missed the first bird on the trap field because i didn't check the safety on joe's bird gun. derp.

AND the vicious hand-burn. he takes the cake for injury. i think drgrant has a picture of the injured crew on his cell phone. it's (in order of injury/nasty-lookin'-ness): him, cekim all bloody, and then me.
That was a weather related injury... [laugh]

Running around shooting guns and I get all bloodied up by a cold front. [thinking]
We should ban barometric pressure drops...for the children.

Last edited:

You are probably referring to my partner-in-crime, Mike. He had never shot my savage before, and never been behind the trigger of a bolt action .30-06. First shot was done with his forehead almost touching the scope, then he didn't make that mistake a second time. He doesn't have a ton of spare time, but I still bug him to get on here and register; he's good people, and he enjoyed the shoot, even with the birds egg on his face and the first degree burns on his hand from the barrel of a Savage 116 that just had 30+ rounds put through it in short order.

We probably should have done a group picture, I still don't know who everyone is but I figured out a few.

Anyone who doesn't know me, I was the one in the Guy Fawkes mask and cloak, my buddy Mike was in the steampunk mask...hard to differentiate us from everyone else, I know, but I'll let you guys figure it out.

You are probably referring to my partner-in-crime, Mike. He had never shot my savage before, and never been behind the trigger of a bolt action .30-06. First shot was done with his forehead almost touching the scope, then he didn't make that mistake a second time. He doesn't have a ton of spare time, but I still bug him to get on here and register; he's good people, and he enjoyed the shoot, even with the birds egg on his face and the first degree burns on his hand from the barrel of a Savage 116 that just had 30+ rounds put through it in short order.

surprisingly enough i am going to be the voice of reason (after the fact, naturally) and to say: he probably shouldn't have done that. as wet-blankey as it is, and seeing as how no one asked me what my opinion is, here goes:

team power bottom, specifically power bottom #2 had never fired a shotgun before. at the event and under pressure was not the place to try to learn so i took over and did every shotgun portion. during an active event is not the time or place to learn how to use a firearm that you do not have experience with.

your teammie done got ****ed UP, while the event is exciting and fun, that's what happens when you're not fully prepared to dive into something like this. mad props for him doing it (and everyone else, too), but we don't need people other than me showing up to events and getting hurt in an attempt to one-up me.

My teammate Paul had never fired a shotgun so I did the trap both times. For slugs, neither of us had ever shot slugs but we picked it up pretty quick. (once I figured out where the safety and slide release were)

Dgrant was there? Would have been nice to put a face to the name.

The CEkim's injury was extra amusing afterwards. I was trekking out to get the buckets and I kept seeing blood drips everywhere. I kicked half of them thining they were red shotgun shells (of which I found several around the course, live). When when I got to the buckets it was readily apparent which one he had spent some time standing over it peering in to.

I went ahead and just threw that crap away. ;)

[laugh] oh man.

drgrant was there with me, atmay, and sarah!

so, uh, what shells were they? my rig tore out all the stitching in the inside pouch despite never being used before and it's possible i missed some and peed them out onto the hill. [rofl]

Dgrant was there? Would have been nice to put a face to the name.

The CEkim's injury was extra amusing afterwards. I was trekking out to get the buckets and I kept seeing blood drips everywhere. I kicked half of them thining they were red shotgun shells (of which I found several around the course, live). When when I got to the buckets it was readily apparent which one he had spent some time standing over it peering in to.

I went ahead and just threw that crap away. ;)
[laugh]
Sorry - well in theory, I am sorry... but you made me run back up there... [laugh]

There are the pics on the rod and gun clubs page of each team, anyone on here can post the pic here and shed light on their identity.

A couple of the found slug rounds were from me during the first round. As i was running towards the buckets i had an odd suspicion my pack was getting lighter. Turns out i forgot to zip the pouch back up after shooting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom