HORA DOLOR: Winter Failings. Feb 24th. Information within!

went great, we got in two runs and for most of us that was all anyone could handle. huge thanks to midnight who gave me that ankle brace for my left leg.... favoring my right one though lead me to screw up my right knee. haha!

We did two runs and that was enough to remind me that anyone as out of shape as me shouldn't be running up and down hills in the snow.
Had an awesome time, hats off to sweetjeep and joeendris as well as Acme for lending guns. Also, thanks to atilla for letting us use his slug gun.
I have never fired slugs and only shot trap once about five years ago so I was nervous about those sections. They actually went pretty well and we shot pistol terribly, which we thought was going to be our best section. The Garand performed flawlessly and drilled that 100 yard plate consistently. I don't ever want to see one of those tiny sleds again.

went great, we got in two runs and for most of us that was all anyone could handle. huge thanks to midnight who gave me that ankle brace for my left leg.... favoring my right one though lead me to screw up my right knee. haha!

Heheh heh glad to hear that things went well. I don't know how, but when I took a look at this thread, somehow, I missed the last page of posts. And you're young, you'll heal. Though, when you're 60, you may feel differently about it.

You know whats difficult, trying to run in packed snow when you are blind in one eye and have no depth perception. Everything was all white and I had no clue where the next foot would land, almost took a couple headers but stayed up the 2 runs.

So what were the final times? We had to leave shortly after our second run to pick up kids.

definitely getting in on the next one of these...sounds like an absolute blast. wish i coulda done this one. impatiently awaiting pics/video!

Obviously someone was having more fun then me.

406189_4680556938342_678200701_n.jpg

Great time today. Thanks again to Joe and Morgan for organizational efforts and to everyone who was there - we got to speak to many but not all of you. But that's what next time is for.

And Team Squiggly has now gotten lost at only 50% of all Hora Dolors attended! Progress is being made.

Bravo to Morgan and Joe. I came just to watch as I don't shave a lot of rifle experience and zero shot gun. I am greatful that Morgan talked me into running (and Eric for letting me join his team). I had a blast. Low pressure high fun. Right shoulder a bit sore from the slug gun, but can't wait until the next event.

I emailed pics my gf took, but sorry they all of team Bacon and Eggs.

I can't seem to tag any of the photos the the rod and gun clubs page.

I had a blast today, and wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated! It was fun being on the rifle range and watching you clowns.... err shooters :)

Winter Failings!

First, I'd like to thank Morgan, Joe, and all the volunteers, including the Range Officers, Club President and Board Members and the cooks. You were all great!

Special thanks go to cekim for being patient with me and tolerating an old guy for a partner.

My Winter Failings:

Round 1
  • I think I was the oldest competitor there at 59.
  • Gloves change everything when you're handling a firearm or loading a trap machine!
  • Running in the snow is not nearly as fun now compared to when I was a kid. [smile]
  • Teamwork was not planned well: My teammate kept calling "pull" on the trap course before I was ready to launch the bird!
  • Nerds strike again: We actually wrote down all the contents in each of the buckets full of junk in Game 1 and still couldn't answer the question in Game 2 without returning to them.
  • The controls on the AR are tougher to manage with gloves on. I installed a Magpul BAD lever on the gun and really like it. However from the forced excercise when I was trying to do a mag change, I kept accidently closing the bolt instead of releasing the mags.
  • Every mag in my chest rig came out pointing the wrong way under duress from the way I practiced with it.
  • Unlike still hunting, getting cold was not an issue. Sweating and overheating was.

Mike and I finished 3rd from the bottom - we like mediocre.

Round 2
  • My failings maxed on this round that really counted.
  • Teamwork improved on the trap course.
  • Things change from Round 1: We ran to the buckets, verified nothing had changed, and couldn't answer the question correctly because the contents inside one ammo box had changed. We had to go back to get the correct answer.
  • Mike did well on the rifle range and I became frustrated at my performance. My performance would have been better if I had swung the 3x magnifier behind the EOTech in place and used it. I was brain dead.
  • The frustration maxed when the SO asked me to clear the rifle. As I moved my gloved hand to drop the mag, I accidently hit the trigger and had my first-ever ND. Fortunately, I maintained muzzle control and the round hit the ground down range a few feet in front of me.[sad2]
  • The ND penalty cost us our mediocre stature and we finished last.

I learned a lot from the added stress physically and mentally provided by the Hora Dolor and wish to try the next one if I am available and someone is willing to be the old man's teammate.

Last edited:
First, I'd like to thank Morgan, Joe, and all the volunteers, including the Range Officers, Club President and Board Members and the cooks. You were all great!

Special thanks go to cekim for being patient with me and tolerating an old guy for a partner.

My Winter Failings:

Round 1
  • I think I was the oldest competitor there at 59.
  • Gloves change everything when you're handling a firearm or loading a trap machine!
  • Running in the snow is not nearly as fun now compared to when I was a kid. [smile]
  • Teamwork was not planned well: My teammate kept calling "pull" on the trap course before I was ready to launch the bird!
  • Nerds strike again: We actually wrote down all the contents in each of the buckets full of junk in Game 1 and still couldn't answer the question in Game 2 without returning to them.
  • The controls on the AR are tougher to manage with gloves on. I installed a Magpul BAD lever on the gun and really like it. However from the forced excercise when I was trying to do a mag change, I kept accidently closing the bolt instead of releasing the mags.
  • Every mag in my chest rig came out pointing the wrong way under duress from the way I practiced with it.
  • Unlike still hunting, getting cold was not an issue. Sweating and overheating was.

Mike and I finished 3rd from the bottom - we like mediocre.

Round 2
  • My failings maxed on this round that really counted.
  • Teamwork improved on the trap course.
  • Things change from Round 1: We ran to the buckets, verified nothing had changed, and couldn't answer the question correctly because the contents inside one ammo box had changed. We had to go back to get the correct answer.
  • Mike did well on the rifle range and I became frustrated at my performance. My performance would have been better if I had swung the 3x magnifier behind the EOTech in place and used it. I was brain dead.
  • The frustration maxed when the SO asked me to clear the rifle. As I moved my gloved hand to drop the mag, I accidently hit the trigger and had my first-ever ND. Fortuantely, I maintained muzzle control and the round hit the ground down range a few feet in front of me.[sad2]
  • The ND penalty cost us our mediocre stature and we finished last.

I learned a lot from the added stress physically and mentally provided by the Hora Dolor and wish to try the next one if I am available and someone is willing to be the old man's teammate.

Hey P-14, OLD GUYS RULE!

DAMHIK.

Had a blast as expected. Sorry had to leave early. Thank you to everyone including the TRGC all the volunteers who made this day happen. Glad to see the event growing. Cant wait for the next one!

Sent using my all knowing google phone

Team Eggs and Bacon failings:

Round 1
-left safety on the AR when I first tried to shoot
-one major screw up, we were asked how many teeth on the hippo, we ran up the hill for the second time and I checked the middle and left bucket for the hippo but found one. My teammate checks the third and says "there isn't a hippo, it was a fake question to make us run again". So back to the range we go to find out we have to run all the way back up for a third time, I made sure Joe my teammate knew who was to blame for the third run the entire time, and for quite a time after.

Time was 21 minutes and I think 2nd or 3rd for the round

Round 2 - I've not really done many competitions unlike Joe so the pressure got to me a little more this match
- I did the shooting on the trap, first round went 4 for 4 but did 4 for 7 on the second :-( One shot I remember like it was slow motion, called pull then distincly remember being behind the clay and the thought actualy went through my head "i'm behind it, why am I pulling the trigger?" followed by click boom and a miss.
- from the top of the board I put too much weight onto the board and missed a shot due to the board wobbling from the recoil
- shot the target 6 times from the top of the board
- never done any quick under pressure mag changes before with the AR and failed to push the mag in all the way after a mag change and it failed to chamber a round
- after shooting rifle realized we forgot the sled at the trap range and had to run back to get it before running up the hill

Time was 15 min and no idea how we finished since we had to leave early so gf could pick up her daughter from her dad.

after shooting rifle realized we forgot the sled at the trap range and had to run back to get it before running up the hill

Time was 15 min and no idea how we finished since we had to leave early so gf could pick up her daughter from her dad.

Hahaha, I remember you guys cussing and taking a quick right hand turn out of the rifle range!

Round 1
-left safety on the AR when I first tried to shoot
-one major screw up, we were asked how many teeth on the hippo, we ran up the hill for the second time and I checked the middle and left bucket for the hippo but found one. My teammate checks the third and says "there isn't a hippo, it was a fake question to make us run again". So back to the range we go to find out we have to run all the way back up for a third time, I made sure Joe my teammate knew who was to blame for the third run the entire time, and for quite a time after.

Time was 21 minutes and I think 2nd or 3rd for the round

Round 2 - I've not really done many competitions unlike Joe so the pressure got to me a little more this match
- I did the shooting on the trap, first round went 4 for 4 but did 4 for 7 on the second :-( One shot I remember like it was slow motion, called pull then distincly remember being behind the clay and the thought actualy went through my head "i'm behind it, why am I pulling the trigger?" followed by click boom and a miss.
- from the top of the board I put too much weight onto the board and missed a shot due to the board wobbling from the recoil
- shot the target 6 times from the top of the board
- never done any quick under pressure mag changes before with the AR and failed to push the mag in all the way after a mag change and it failed to chamber a round
- after shooting rifle realized we forgot the sled at the trap range and had to run back to get it before running up the hill

You know you guys won right?

Back
Top Bottom